Sign in to follow this  
Dr X

New DEQX Product (HDP-Express)

Guest JohnA

but i gather it will still take an analogue signal and convert it to digital before doing any corrections, then back to analogue

is this correct?

Guest Drizzt

Yeap. These things do all of their work in the digital domain.

Would love to play with one, one day.

but i gather it will still take an analogue signal and convert it to digital before doing any corrections, then back to analogue

is this correct?

Guest JohnA

Yea that's my only concern. Still until used one can't comment.

Too many features though that I don't need to use.

Would be good to see one with no pre amp, simple 2 way crossover for mains and sub, and all the other room correction eq features.

Something like this for around the $1500 point would be awesome.

Still would need to try before outlaying cash

Guest Drizzt

Yeah thats not a bad point really.

After some thought (things my change lol) I only really want to EQ below 250Hz or so. Since my speakers already measure dead flat (without taking the room into consideration) a lot of the DEQX features are a bit redundant for me. But it would make for an excellent 2way crossover to subs and EQ for below 250Hz or so. I like the idea of having total control of what the EQ is doing rather than something like Audyssey which will be applying full range EQ no matter what I want it to actually do.

So as you say JohnA. At that price point it would be a killer bit of kit.

Yea that's my only concern. Still until used one can't comment.

Too many features though that I don't need to use.

Would be good to see one with no pre amp, simple 2 way crossover for mains and sub, and all the other room correction eq features.

Something like this for around the $1500 point would be awesome.

Still would need to try before outlaying cash

Hard to get a device that meets everyones needs.

I reckon since it operates in the digital domain, then having the ability to pass in digital, do it's room EQ, and then pass out digital to an external dac - would be very nice. But I might be in the minority, I imagine most people would prefer to have the crossover functionality and analog outs to amps included. [shrugs]

Still a very attractive pricepoint, for the features on offer.

Guest JohnA
Hard to get a device that meets everyones needs.

I reckon since it operates in the digital domain, then having the ability to pass in digital, do it's room EQ, and then pass out digital to an external dac - would be very nice. But I might be in the minority, I imagine most people would prefer to have the crossover functionality and analog outs to amps included. [shrugs]

Still a very attractive pricepoint, for the features on offer.

for us vinyl people, i just don't see the point in going from all analogue to digital then back to analogue again.

It may not have any ill effect, (hense why i say i would like to try it first)

But agree, at this price point, and if you have use for all its features, its great value if it delivers

In case the guys at DEQX are reading this... I must say I'm hoping myself for a 4-way XO, or at least 3-way with an extra set of fullrange pre-outs. Surely 3-way floorstander + sub is not a rarity.

I'm also hoping that someone gets their hands on this HDP-Express and compares it to a modded DCX, which would be the real competition.

Guest Drizzt
In case the guys at DEQX are reading this... I must say I'm hoping myself for a 4-way XO, or at least 3-way with an extra set of fullrange pre-outs. Surely 3-way floorstander + sub is not a rarity.

I'm also hoping that someone gets their hands on this HDP-Express and compares it to a modded DCX, which would be the real competition.

Agreed. Im surprised DEQX hasn't had a 24/192 4-way system to this point. Just a personal opinion but I think theres room for 3 devices.

A fully fledged 4 way device with all the bells and whistles.

A 3 way device with a few bells and whistles cut from the list

A 2 way device with as much functionality as reasonable to fit into an affordable device to compete with Audyssey etc.

Thanks for that floopy. I could live without the analog volume control, if it offered a digital output. But since it has neither, then it's a no show (for me).

Interesting comments that it's intended mostly for the HT market.

Guest Drizzt
Thanks for that floopy. I could live without the analog volume control, if it offered a digital output. But since it has neither, then it's a no show (for me).

Interesting comments that it's intended mostly for the HT market.

Whys that oz? Wouldn't or couldn't you continue to use your own analogue preamp anyway's? I understand the want for a digital out if you want to bypass the DAC's in the DEQX but not sure why the analogue volume control is a show stopper?

Whys that oz? Wouldn't or couldn't you continue to use your own analogue preamp anyway's? I understand the want for a digital out if you want to bypass the DAC's in the DEQX but not sure why the analogue volume control is a show stopper?

Part of the attraction of the unit is using it to perfectly integrate in the subs and the room, running seperate outputs to the mains and subs, rather than running the mains off the back of the subs. Gives me more flexibility in room placement of the subs. In this configuration, I wouldnt be able to use a traditional 2ch preamp, so I'm forced into digital VC. With that strike against the Express,,,,,

The other attraction is for it to be a pure digital EQ system, and integrate it with an external DAC. No digital out, not even as an optional addon, then rules this option out.

The 2 things I would want to use it for, I cant really. The HDP-3 looks ok, but I'm not willing to spend 4k on it.

Guest Drizzt

Fair enough mate.

Part of the attraction of the unit is using it to perfectly integrate in the subs and the room, running seperate outputs to the mains and subs, rather than running the mains off the back of the subs. Gives me more flexibility in room placement of the subs. In this configuration, I wouldnt be able to use a traditional 2ch preamp, so I'm forced into digital VC. With that strike against the Express,,,,,

The other attraction is for it to be a pure digital EQ system, and integrate it with an external DAC. No digital out, not even as an optional addon, then rules this option out.

The 2 things I would want to use it for, I cant really. The HDP-3 looks ok, but I'm not willing to spend 4k on it.