Weston integrated in Adelaide ?

McCvinyl

@McCvinyl  Rarely posting sober is such an enjoyable pastime. Almost but not quite as good as bidding on eBay with the fourth glass of red leering at you. 

@buddyev is entirely correct in his summation of my character and habits. I'm not sure about what he means by "efficient speakers"  as I've tried Earle's Topaz on 88db up to 102 db speakers and the dealer friend who stupidly let me into his shop with the amp will attest that I used up every available bit of good will over an entire Sat morning while he tried to deal with customers and during that period the odd person or three came into the listening room and marvelled at the glowing tubes if not at the weird music being played. I preened and fiddled and if I'd had a couple of spare 120's I'd of flogged them there and then.

45 watts of pure class A is going to drive most boxes and as long as you have a nice synergy going with the rest of your gear then you can't really go wrong. My speakers will run quite nicely with a 10W flea amp or this glowing bit of fluff from Earle.

*If you pull the trigger then announce the date and we'll do a bacon countdown until arrival. Quick delivery equals plentiful family time and importantly plenty of bacon. Long delivery means under the pump and little bacon and that's a sad state affairs anywhere.

• Like 2

I have had a Weston Acoustics KT 120 Topaz for 3 years now (as well as Yamaha AS 2100):)

If you were prepared to venture as far as Renmark, I would be happy to demonstrate it, with Hawthorne Audio OB speakers or VAF DCX 63 (I have two mix and match systems in my mancave/listening facility.)

PM me if interested.

Jim

2 hours ago, jimcan said:

I have had a Weston Acoustics KT 120 Topaz for 3 years now (as well as Yamaha AS 2100):)

If you were prepared to venture as far as Renmark, I would be happy to demonstrate it, with Hawthorne Audio OB speakers or VAF DCX 63 (I have two mix and match systems in my mancave/listening facility.)

PM me if interested.

Jim

Can Jim can? Yes he can!

OB's and Boxes!  @McCvinyl  time to acquaint yourself with the lovely town of Renmark on the Murruy. What it is Jim, 3.5 hours from Adelaide?  A good early morning Sunday drive ?

Thanks Jim I will be passing through there over Easter but I will be on a mission to get to Nangiloc at a decent hour with a car load of kids and animals. 

Are you past Yamba over the border? Renmark Victoria is confusing me.

OB's and valves sounds like a great combo!

I live in a place called Lindsay Point, 6 km into Victoria, but Renmark is the closest town, 25 km away :)

Yes Luc, about 3.5 hours from Adelaide:thumb:

Somewhat confusing no doubt.

I really enjoy my Topaz with my open baffle speakers, which are about 95 dB. Plenty loud in a large treated room. Source is mostly vinyl these days, rock music, but also have digital front end as well.

The Topaz has no difficulty with the VAF DCX 63 either, but they are about the same sensitivity.

I am semi retired these days, so there is no real issue with timing, if you wish to audition at some point.

Did Earle recommend KT120 or El34 for you? He recommended EL34 to me last year. He just had no interest in 'up selling' me. He was clear, this is what would suit me best and i'm loving it now. Budget a perspex cover so you never have to dust it. I have posted up a drawing and contacts for custom made in the past.

Earle place is about 15-20min from me. But i bought mine without ever hearing one.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:40 AM, jimcan said:

I live in a place called Lindsay Point, 6 km into Victoria, but Renmark is the closest town, 25 km away :)

Yes Luc, about 3.5 hours from Adelaide:thumb:

Somewhat confusing no doubt.

I really enjoy my Topaz with my open baffle speakers, which are about 95 dB. Plenty loud in a large treated room. Source is mostly vinyl these days, rock music, but also have digital front end as well.

The Topaz has no difficulty with the VAF DCX 63 either, but they are about the same sensitivity.

I am semi retired these days, so there is no real issue with timing, if you wish to audition at some point.

Good grief.

Everything you wrote there applies to me .

I've felt I was separated at birth and always thought that mum told me a porky when I asked for my soulmate...

Open Baffle is what I have and...

Luc runs sobbing from his sound room.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, JPete9 said:

Did Earle recommend KT120 or El34 for you? He recommended EL34 to me last year. He just had no interest in 'up selling' me. He was clear, this is what would suit me best and i'm loving it now. Budget a perspex cover so you never have to dust it. I have posted up a drawing and contacts for custom made in the past.

Earle place is about 15-20min from me. But i bought mine without ever hearing one.

He seemed to think that either would work well but I think I will opt for the kt 120 just to make sure I have a little bit in reserve if I need it.

If the el34 model drives your NS1000's I don't think  I should have any issues

On 17/03/2018 at 8:29 PM, McCvinyl said:

Agree on the Artisan, couldn't want for anything more ! Except maybe a custom rack to support it 

If looking for a custom rack Grizzly here on SNA is your man. 

I would love to try a Weston amp myself one day.

7 hours ago, JPete9 said:

and cheap...and the guy who makes them is very helpful.

If you don't mind could you please put up a link to the post about whom you had make your Perspex cover thank you?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2018 at 7:19 PM, Luc said:

*If you pull the trigger then announce the date and we'll do a bacon countdown until arrival. Quick delivery equals plentiful family time and importantly plenty of bacon. Long delivery means under the pump and little bacon and that's a sad state affairs anywhere.

Bang! The trigger is pulled and countdown the bacon?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Bang! The trigger is pulled and countdown the bacon?

Congratulations! 

Did go for the KT120? Are you also getting a phono with your integrated? Remote? Give us the low down please :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, Willmax said:

Congratulations! 

Did go for the KT120? Are you also getting a phono with your integrated? Remote? Give us the low down please :popcorn:

Hi Willmax I was just getting around to giving you a heads up

I didnt worry about the phono cause Im happy with my PS3 and I thought about the remote but skipped it and put the money elsewhere so I have gone for the KT120 with american walnut, copper tranny covers, pre amp input switch so I can use the volume control on my phono when I feel the need, L + R sub output for when I get around to hooking up some subs and lashed out on some Mundorf silver in oil caps under the bonnet. So I made the most of the facility to create your own amp which I think is fantastic

• Like 4

On 25/05/2018 at 10:25 AM, McCvinyl said:

Hi Willmax I was just getting around to giving you a heads up

I didnt worry about the phono cause Im happy with my PS3 and I thought about the remote but skipped it and put the money elsewhere so I have gone for the KT120 with american walnut, copper tranny covers, pre amp input switch so I can use the volume control on my phono when I feel the need, L + R sub output for when I get around to hooking up some subs and lashed out on some Mundorf silver in oil caps under the bonnet. So I made the most of the facility to create your own amp which I think is fantastic

It seems like you made some good choices when it came to finish and features for your Weston amp.

Subs output probably something that hadn't crossed my mind before, but a preamp switch is quite a nifty idea.

1 hour ago, Willmax said:

It seems like you made some good choices when it came to finish and features for your Weston amp.

Subs output probably something that hadn't crossed my mind before, but a preamp switch is quite a nifty idea.

Yes I liked the idea of the preamp switch, I have the ability to use the volume on both my phono amp and dac. I use it on the phono mainly because it like using a passive pre and seems to bring you a little bit closer to the music so its nice for anything a bit more intimate but loses a bit of punch on anything a bit heavier.

• Like 1