The ultimate 2-3 way speaker.

Wanna know what you guys think.  I know there’s a lot of DIY speakers out there.

im entertaining the idea of buying or building the best 2-3way speaker on the market.  Dipoles need not apply!  Not going active! 

If I go the diy route, I wanna be able to used the best drivers technically with specs provided that I can afford!  Put it in a cabinet and let it shine!   For the xo I need the components with specs provided,  definately no oil or bees wax etc

Are you talking kit speakers or even more DIY than kit speakers?

Edit:  Re-read your post with my eyes open this time.  Right, so anything goes then.

Mike Lenehan has mentioned a bigger brother to that little kit speaker currently making its way around.  It hasn't been confirmed as of yet but it could be something to keep in mind.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Wanna know what you guys think.  I know there’s a lot of DIY speakers out there.

im entertaining the idea of buying or building the best 2-3way speaker on the market.  Dipoles need not apply!  Not going active! 

If I go the diy route, I wanna be able to used the best drivers technically with specs provided that I can afford!  Put it in a cabinet and let it shine!   For the xo I need the components with specs provided,  definately no oil or bees wax etc

Hey, what's this definitely no oil or bees wax!!:angry: We're adding a pair of two way standmounts to our range of loudspeakers and we're finishing these in orange oil and bees wax, but that is only the finish. Our driver selection was for a Scanspeak 5.5" mid woofer and a Tang Band full range driver for the top end duties. Are you looking at building these yourself or having them made for you?

Cheers,

Keith

WDpsX1C.jpg

I think mine are it, top scanspeak drivers, I have a 3.5 way passive crossover but the mids and woofer are dipole so you'll have to stick them in a box instead. I haven't completed mine, still waiting for my machined billet aluminium baffle so they're only in a temporary MDF one.

d3004-66400,

2x 12mu-8731-t00

32w-4878-t01

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

Clone the Sony SS-AR1.

I believe all the drivers are Scanspeak and are available.

These retail for about $35,000.

From DIY Hi Fi-

Sony uses premium cost ScanSpeak Drivers: xover 400Hz and 4000Hz
Tweeter = 1" dome D3004/660000 with Tymphany’s unique AirCirc Magnet System
Midbass = 15W/4531G00 slit paper cone
Woofer = Scan-speak 22W/8857T-00 aluminum cone

Review and pictures.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj7wLbZ9fLZAhVT0GMKHaSjCFQQFgg3MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stereophile.com%2Fcontent%2Fsony-ss-ar1-loudspeaker-page-2&usg=AOvVaw0pX7V_w4AZF0IQHVn_tBex

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Hey, what's this definitely no oil or bees wax!!:angry: We're adding a pair of two way standmounts to our range of loudspeakers and we're finishing these in orange oil and bees wax, but that is only the finish. Our driver selection was for a Scanspeak 5.5" mid woofer and a Tang Band full range driver for the top end duties. Are you looking at building these yourself or having them made for you?

Cheers,

Keith

My apologies Keith,  xo means cross over,  no exotic wet expensive  caps!  No problem using these for the cabinet.  Love oil base paints.

Edited by Addicted to music

37 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

My apologies Keith,  xo means cross over,  no exotic wet expensive  caps!  No problem using these for the cabinet.  Love oil base paints.

No need to apologise and I knew that xo meant crossover. My description of our two way enclosures was because you stated definitely no oil or bees wax, but that description had nothing to do with the crossover networks, or indeed the crossover components...........I've never been guilty of using 'exotic wet expensive caps' anyway, whatever they are?:lol:

I'm pleased you love oil based paints, but just in case you're confused about the finish on those particular two way standmounts I mentioned, the oil and bees wax we're using is not a paint at all, but rather a treatment for the natural timber that is worked into the timber surface over many applications, to produce the seal and lustre or sheen on the surface.

If you would like help with this DIY build, not just the surface finish, I'm more than happy to assist. Just drop me a PM and I'm sure I can give you some ideas to work on.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

How about some of Troels Graveson DIY designs using the latest Scanspeak Illuminator and other drivers. Can purchase the kit design documents and parts around $6k-12k+, which be will about what you get in $50-200k Speakers. No mucking about with compromised 2 ways and 3 ways with small/medium sized drivers, no making excuses about low or even medium cost and quality drivers.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

24B719BF-6B7E-4B0D-B638-C9AEC9C623F9.jpeg

C14A7D99-2B36-41B9-81BD-40438EE11C6E.jpeg

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Al.M said:

How about some of Troels Graveson DIY designs using the latest Scanspeak Illuminator and other drivers. Can purchase the kit design documents and parts around $6k-12k+, which be will about what you get in $50-200k Speakers. No mucking about with compromised 2 ways and 3 ways with small/medium sized drivers, no making excuses about low or even medium cost and quality drivers.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

24B719BF-6B7E-4B0D-B638-C9AEC9C623F9.jpeg

C14A7D99-2B36-41B9-81BD-40438EE11C6E.jpeg

They had better sound good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

They had better sound good.

The conundrum is one could spend about $12k on a TG diy speaker, but there are used commercial speaker options that would have better resale .e.g. currently a B&W 801D in gumtree for $14k.

I would guess one of TGs top kits would be better SQ but resale might be half or less.

However, there are other less complicated TG kit speaker designs that cost much less around $3-5k and use stellar older venerable Scanspeak drivers that you could find in $10-30k commercial speakers.