Powerboard extension lead.

Is it ok to put an extension lead between the wall socket and a lead that is attached to a powerboard?

It's just that over the years with different equipment the manuals have said plug direct into wall socket, no extension.

My current powerboard has a lead that is only 1 metre long and even though everything connects just ok it would be much better if I could put a 1.0m extension in.

Cheers,

Interface

5 hours ago, Interface said:

Is it ok to put an extension lead between the wall socket and a lead that is attached to a powerboard?

It's just that over the years with different equipment the manuals have said plug direct into wall socket, no extension.

My current powerboard has a lead that is only 1 metre long and even though everything connects just ok it would be much better if I could put a 1.0m extension in.

Cheers,

Interface

Unless you're using a high-grade powerboard (there aren't many around), it won't make any difference if the powerboard is plugged directly into the wall ... or via a 1m extension cable.

If you really want to get maximum SQ:

• get a sparkie to put several 2-way wall sockets on the wall - instead of the single one you have  the powerboard plugged into (or use some 4-way wall-sockets).
  • then have a power cord going from a wall socket to each component.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. I did not want to know if there would be a change in SQ. What I was after if there would be any physical issues like overheating of the extenion lead or any thing that would be detrimental.

Thanks again.

@andyr, @Darren69

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Interface said:

Thanks for all your responses.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. I did not want to know if there would be a change in SQ. What I was after if there would be any physical issues like overheating of the extenion lead or any thing that would be detrimental.

There won't be any physical issues like overheating.

Andy

On 3/18/2018 at 7:44 AM, andyr said:

There won't be any physical issues like overheating.

Andy

Unless you use a very long extension lead, and the excess length is coiled up.  Then it can heat and be dangerous.

Always use an appropriate length, and there won't be problems. 

18 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Unless you use a very long extension lead, and the excess length is coiled up.  Then it can heat and be dangerous.

True - but the OP mentioned adding a 1m extension cord (not 10m).

Andy

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
31 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Always use an appropriate length, and there won't be problems. 

:thumb: And increased temperatures results in increased agitation of atoms/electrons in the conductor causing greater resistance, which produces more heat.

May not be applicable in in the OP's situation but maybe handy for some newbies to know.

Guest Muon N'
58 minutes ago, djb said:

Now we are down the the nitty gritty "agitated atoms.."

Steven Hawkins is turning in his grave.

It's physics, David.

Edit: have a read here, or check out one of the multitude of links that will explain the same effect in regards to what is going on with resistivity and rising temperatures.

http://winnerscience.com/2011/12/01/variation-of-resistivity-with-temperature-of-metals-or-conductors-semiconductors-and-insulators/

Have fun :thumb:

Edited by Muon N'

3 hours ago, Muon N' said:

And increased temperatures results in increased agitation of atoms/electrons in the conductor causing greater resistance, which produces more heat.

My Atoms get agitated a lot on here.:)

• Like 1

On 18/03/2018 at 7:29 AM, Interface said:

Assuming, it's a well made and aussie standard lead, then absolutely (110%) not.

If you are concerned about your 1m lead.... do an experiment.   Get a heater, or hair dryer, or something.   Plug that into your 1m xtension lead, and into the same power point as your stereo....   let rip, and make sure everything is fine for 15, 60, 600 minutes. whatever.

These devices draw much more power than your stereo, and so you will know you will be fine.

My experience:   I draw 10amps over a long (well made) extension cord 24/7, and everything is just fine.

1 minute ago, davewantsmoore said:

My experience:   I draw 10amps over a long (well made) extension cord 24/7, and everything is just fine.

I agree Dave.

I use a 5 metre extension cord to power a pool pump. I bought a water resistant heavy duty one and it's been working just fine for the last 5 years.

12 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Geee...  Can pool pumps really draw a constant 10 amps? ... even if they only run a few hours a day, then that's expensive.

Being a Tassie, I'm not real familiar with pools.

Ooh yeah, I hear from owners about a power bill that's 300-400 bucks more, per quarter, since they put the pool in. Over 1k a year at least. Not counting all the other costs, chemicals, time yadda yadda.

Guest Muon N'
4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Ooh yeah, I hear from owners about a power bill that's 300-400 bucks more, per quarter, since they put the pool in. Over 1k a year at least. Not counting all the other costs, chemicals, time yadda yadda.

Many are left unused after the novelty wears off, then they are just an expensive hole in the ground.

6 hours ago, Darren69 said:

My 12 man spa adds an extra couple of hundred to the bill every quarter.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

My 12 man spa adds an extra couple of hundred to the bill every quarter.

To hell with my vivid picture imagination :emot-bang:

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

And that's not including the cost of heating!

• Like 1