Fitzroyalty

Time to embrace ACTIVE SPEAKERS?!

@koputai that's pretty active in my book! A crossover before the amps, and amps in the speaker. 

1 hour ago, MarkT said:

Interested in which make and model Actives and Passives you are referring to which have sounded pretty much the same when equivalently powered ?

Did you listen to them in the same room ?

Same room? God no, I listened to them at a hi fi show, I listened to them at their owners house and I have listened to my own passive set up.

I have found that the secret is decent power behind the driver. You might have a fave flavour, be it bass, midrange or highs and that's the fun of it but when that good power is there, it's a whole new ballpark and in my opinion, actives almost always have good power.

Would love to hear some ATC's! Am envious of you.

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

and in my opinion, actives almost always have good power.

Almost by definition. You are driving the driver directly without wasting energy in the crossover. Far more efficient 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, joz said:

Could possibly have an average built in amp still driving a passive crossover, they are just  powered? 

But from my experience a good/great active system also has had some PEQ added for bonus. They have had a bit of tailoring to the room.

I know quite often I wish I had more adjustability for my setup, sometimes I would like to know how it would sound if I could just cut and boost here or there. The most I can do with my setup is adjusting the gain on each driver.:(

But having this freedom can cause all kinds of havoc as I know people that have blown drivers with either to much boost or wrong crossover point. Yes people are good at screwing up a good setup if they can't do or read measurements.

My reference still for an active setup (when on song) for infinite control is still Bathurst.

Good lord the sky's the limit for you, and all the good and bad that entails!

My mind spins with class D amplification for the bass maybe coupled with DSPeaker room taming, and who knows what for the mids? Can you put valves in that mix? Some sort of class A for the highs? Haha.

Am thinking we are now into the territory of the computer controlled crossover. :D 

How the fish shall be massaged.

Edited by Darren69

IME active speakers offer not only better sound quality but also better value for money.

These are currently in my bedroom setup.
Active ATC SCM20ASL PRO MK2.
Active ATC SCM10-2A.
Passive ATC SCM7 V3.
ATC SIA2-150 Integrated amplifier.

The ATC integrated amp had an rrp of $6500 , the SCM7V3....$2200....so around $8700.
They are a brilliant sounding speaker and amp combo with clean tight surprisingly deep bass , and great midrange .

But , Active SCM10-2A clearly outperform the passive SCM7 plus amp and were around $4900 rrp.

Active ATC SCM20 ASL PRO MK2 are in a whole different league sound quality wise to the passive SCM7 plus ATC amp yet cost a similar amount.

Of course you have to factor in a preamp into the value for money equation as well , a Benchmark Dac 1 works superbly.

DSC_0018.thumb.JPG.94e4b16e7d8a6b7b93a44ec951b72f7b.JPG
Silver ATC amp please if you will.

No way...black rules.

No way...black rules.
Ha.

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Almost by definition. You are driving the driver directly without wasting energy in the crossover. Far more efficient 

Another plus for the amps are that each one is not driving the entire band width.

eg my subs are only driven from 80hz down , the mid bass only upto(? Um I dunno, slack I know) 1000hz etc

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Good lord the sky's the limit for you, and all the good and bad that entails!

My mind spins with class D amplification for the bass maybe coupled with DSPeaker room taming, and who knows what for the mids? Can you put valves in that mix? Some sort of class A for the highs? Haha.

Am thinking we are now into the territory of the computer controlled crossover. :D 

How the fish shall be massaged.

It had crossed my mind a few times.

29 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Of course a passive speaker can't be called active.....who said it could ?

Passive speakers with tri wire capability can be ran with 6 monoblock power amps.....is it a waste of money ?

Sure ....still has a passive crossover so will not equal active.

Sounds to me that you are mixed up........

Having taken my Maggies through:

• passive XOs, driven by 1 stereo amp.
  • to passive XOs with 1 stereo amp on the bass panels and a 2nd feeding the mids & ribbons
  • to 3-way active (6 monoblocs, analogue XOs)
  • to 4-way active, adding subs (8 monoblocs, miniDSP)

... over the last 25 years, I don't think I'm mixed up in the slightest.  :lol:

IMO the main advantage of an active system is that the amps are directly connected to the drivers - there are no series inductors in the way.  Hence the amps can exert an iron-fisted control over the drivers.

A subsidiary - but still very important - advantage is that (and Rod Elliott explains it better than I can):

• if you passively bi-amp, using say, 2x 100w stereo amps ... you still only have 100w of power driving the speakers - the 2 amp powers do not sum.
  • whereas if you actively bi-amp with 2x 100w stereo amps ... you have 200w of power driving  your speakers.

Hence, as you said, passive bi-amping does not equal active biamping.

However, IME there are a couple of good reasons to passively bi-amp - ie. use the 2 halves of the passive XO in your speakers - if you don't want to go to the trouble (and complexity) of replacing the passive XO with an active XO:

#1:  you have a sub (or a pair of subs) and you are using the sub's inbuilt HP filter to roll off the 'mains', to complement the sub's LP XO.

So you have an interconnect going from the sub 'out' to the inputs of the amp driving the mains.  The quality of a sub's HP filter (like the one in the plate amp on the Rythmik sub in my 2nd system) is, typically, pretty dire - so if you are just using 1 stereo amp to drive the mains ... you are degrading the HF response of your mains.

But if you passively bi-amp your mains, the amp feeding the HFs gets fed directly from your preamp - so there's no signal degradation - whilst the amp feeding the LFs takes the feed from the sub's HP filter.  Any signal degradation that occurs is not apparent at LFs.

#2:  the amp you were using to drive your speakers is not really powerful enough - and clips occasionally.

Separating the HFs from the LFs by passively bi-amping means that the HF amp won't clip when there's a loud bass transient - so you won't blow your tweeter.  (Maggie ribbons are very susceptible to blowing when an amp clips.)

Andy

Here is another example of a great active speaker. This one is made by a small company in Sydney, Dana Digital (http://www.danadigital.com). I've had it for almost 10 years now and am extremely happy with it. Each speaker has 3 drivers and in this model, the mid range is driven by a tube amplifier. The other two are SS. Both the build and sound quality are first rate. 6387341fb2bf9b6144ba3d76feb08ae1.jpg

There’s a pair of underpriced Atc scm40 actives in the classifieds. Worth a serious look. Pair them with a low impedance pre amp for best results and it’s a match made in Hifi heaven.