Can anyone spare an amp?

Andre28

Hi. I am looking to borrow an integrated amp. I am having problems with mine, and it looks like it will be at the doctors for quite some time. Before I send it away (again), I would just really like to triple check that it is indeed my amp that is the problem, and if so, have that replacement for a few weeks while mine is getting fixed.

I am in Inner West Sydney (Leichhardt) and could pick up from Inner West. I could pay $50 and some cannoli to borrow. It doesn't have to be anything high end, but enough to safely drive some decent bookshelf speakers.
I am farely well known on a bunch of forums (non Audio related), and at work (cake shop in Leichhardt) if that helps at all in terms of trust (can supply links to feedback etc). I was on this forum a number of years ago but fell off, so I doubt anyone here remembers me.

Guest Hensa

How limited is space and is it just a height restriction or is it width and depth as well?

I have an Arte Forma I-150 integrated you'd be welcome to borrow if you can pick up and drop off from/to Wahroonga. The remote doesn't work but otherwise it operates fine and has a solid 150W/8 Ohms and 250W/4 Ohms power output.

I wouldn't expect any payment.

It's this one:

Edited by Hensa

Hey mate, thank you for that. There is no height restriction, just a depth one. I suppose I should measure that out. It sits on a floating shelf. The cambridge 740a just just fits (not ideal really, slightly hangs off so have something sitting underneath the feat to make sure it doesn't go over)! Yikes I am asking for a favour and being picky! If I am borrowing something though I definitely will not put it in any danger! That amp looks awesome though, if I had the room I would probably buy it outright if my Cambridge cant be fixed.

Will update this with depth as soon as a I get home!

Guest Hensa
30 minutes ago, Andre28 said:

Hey mate, thank you for that. There is no height restriction, just a depth one. I suppose I should measure that out. It sits on a floating shelf. The cambridge 740a just just fits (not ideal really, slightly hangs off so have something sitting underneath the feat to make sure it doesn't go over)! Yikes I am asking for a favour and being picky! If I am borrowing something though I definitely will not put it in any danger! That amp looks awesome though, if I had the room I would probably buy it outright if my Cambridge cant be fixed.

Will update this with depth as soon as a I get home!

I reckon it will be too deep based on the 740a just "hanging over the edge". A quick glance at the specs shows it is 380mm deep versus 350mm for the 740A.

1 hour ago, Andre28 said:

That would be brilliant! I dont know too much about vintage amps, but if the narrowest one can handle some bookshelves that would be awesome!

Hi,

I have an coupled of Sansui amps that you could borrow - an AU-4900, or an AU-317 MKII - both would be OK depth wise, and both are capable of running a set of bookshelf speakers. 

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Sorry not sure why that text is all linked.

Seems like 87db is the min recommendation for the amp. Will have a little try of this, and if its a no go, will definitely take up one of your generous offers.

Extra annoyingly, the setup which has plagued me for years with intermittent issues, is pretty much working normally now with both my usual set up, and the extra pair of speakers I am trying on it. The problem would literally show up every day with my main speakers. I bring new speakers in to test, and no problem evident. Plug my original speakers back in, still no problem! So annoying!

Edited by Andre28

Borrow one of skippy's Sansui's. You'll be blown away. My AU-4900 revials my Plinius in terms of sound quality.

Oh and btw I owned a 740A for years and the 4900 is a better sounding amp IMO (little less power though)

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

I was told by a dealer that this particular era of Cambridge Audio gear had some quality control issues across the line, and have changed production facility for the current gear. I wonder how much truth there is in that.

Guest Muon N'
14 hours ago, alain said:

Hi Andre28,

I have a Pioneer A400 you could borrow if that suits you.

Cheers

Alan

This could be a nice match if the speakers air on the warm side, otherwise the Sansui's might be a better option.

If @Andre28 works at Pappa's, it would be worth lending him an amp for the cannoli alone! Or get him to toss in a little baked ricotta cheesecake.... (apologies if you work for a competitor)

Anyway, I have a little T-amp you can borrow if all else fails, a bit more power than your Icon, but similar small size

Really overwhelmed by all the offers! Thanks so much everyone. It is really super odd that ever since I got a second set of speakers in, and threatened to get this new amp in, the fault has all but disappeared.

Mark, I don't think I can trust your taste in amps going by your taste in cannoli!

• 1 month later...

I have a Yamaha 2095 AV receiver or an Onkyo CD/tuner/Amp all in one combo from the 1990’s your welcome to borrow if it suites, both not being used and will eventually get arround to selling for next to nothing on eBay or this forum. Located near Ryde if interested.

JDH