buddyev

Elektra pre amp problem

Greetings brains trust.

I bought an Elektra pre on eBay today to pair with my Elektra Reference power amp. 

I plugged it in and have an irregular pulsing crackle coming from one channel which I can’t get rid of. 

It’ s not source specific and it starts as soon as the pre turns on and warms up.

I lose it if I turn on processor bypass.

The seller tells me it hasn’t been used much in the past year.

Any ideas? 

I also have one, have you tried swapping the tubes see if it changes to the other channel?

Hi Seb - thats a very good idea. 

For some reason it seems to have sorted itself out. It was bad for an hour or two and but it sounds good now. Very weird. 

I talked to the seller who has called me back a few times to see if it’s okay - a very  decent guy who I believe is straight up. It hasn’t been used for a while - that was apparent from the grungy state of all the sockets which I’ve now cleaned. 

I suspect it’s something to do with transit. 

anyway if it happens again I’ll have a fiddle with the tubes.

Good to hear it stopped mate, I had a tube go in a Weston Acoustics Topaz recently it was doing a crackle type noise intermittently at first but gradually got worse I took a guess at which tube was doing it and replaced it, got lucky on the first try.

Storing these beasts is not a good thing to do I harp on about this too much I know.

Good pick up Russ,
Does sound like it could be a tube problem - possibly not seated in socket properly or could be failing.

If it was me I'd get Arthur to give it a check over, then know if everything is up to spec.
He doesn't charge like a wounded bull!

arthur's in the next suburb @buddyev maybe worth popping around :)

If nothing else a visit to Arthur's shed is a thing not to be missed, if your technology driven in particualr and he's a great guy to boot.

Could just be a tube or two have jiggled a bit loose in transit, couriers aren't know for their delicacy of touch.

If it occurs again open it up and just re seat them.

Crackle for me from tube preamps always seems to be related to dirty sockets.

Thanks everyone. I will jiggle the tubes this morning and see what happens.

I was thinking of a visit to the Rappos Corporation - a once over for my power amp might be good idea as well. 

When it’s not crackiling it sounds really good - I think it’s a better match for my Reference than the GK1.

Jiggle may not be enough. There are proper tube socket cleaners but the easiest is to get some of those keyboard wipes from officeworks or something and wipe each pin on the valves. That won't clean the preamp's sockets but it may be enough since one wipes on the other. As an aside, I've even found that cleaning the pins fixed a substantial microphonic problem I had once. Presumably that slight looseness allowed the whole tube to move more in response to tapping the preamp.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I removed the tubes and cleaned the pins.

after warm up the crackle returned.

swapped right and left channel input valves

swapped right and left output valves

Crackle remained in left channel.

I think that suggests the problem isn’t valves.

maybe the valve seating ?

very irritating becasue when it’s not crackling it sounds really good.

anyway,  it’s now beyond me. Time to contact the maker.

thanks all

Edited by buddyev

4 hours ago, evil c said:

Good pick up Russ,
Does sound like it could be a tube problem - possibly not seated in socket properly or could be failing.

If it was me I'd get Arthur to give it a check over, then know if everything is up to spec.
He doesn't charge like a wounded bull! emoji4.png

@evil c, al@:) al , @joz

anyone have an address, contact details for Arthur?

Just dropped off the amp to Arthur. Looks like it’s a fairly typical problem with his older pres and a fairly straightforward fix.

Hi All, I do have Arthur’s details if you still need them as he recently serviced my Pre which I’d bought 2nd Hand & he was very helpful & offered to look it over for free.

After some discussions about what sound I’m after he then offered to replace all power output capacitors, again for free & now it’s a much better match for the rest of my gear.

BTW - I offered to pay & then just sent him some cash to cover parts & the cost of the courier back to SA.

Cheers
Matt