Home theatre room, need help.

Hello,

I've been looking over the forum for the last week or so to try and get some general ideas but I thought it might be time to ask a question specific to my situation. So in December we will be moving into our new house. The house has a small 'theatre room' which is 3.5m x 3.1m, so it's pretty tiny. I'd like to get a 5.1 system set up in the room, I'm getting wires put through the walls so that I can have rear speakers set up. 

Only problem is, audio has never been an area of knowledge for me and I don't know what I'd be best getting. 

So if I talk about uses and budget maybe I could get some ideas and advice about what I should be looking at? 

I have a budget of around $3000 (could push it to $4000 if necessary) which would need to include the 5.1 speakers and receiver. 

I need the receiver to do 4K/60fps HDR passthrough as I'll have my PC hooked up to it.

It will mainly be used for gaming (both PC and console) as well as some movie watching

I currently have this Pioneer Andrew Jones setup hooked up to a pioneer receiver that only does 4K @ 30fps and no HDR https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/pioneer-fs52-5-1-channel-speaker-system.html. One of the back speakers sounds like it's blown so I won't be taking this setup. 

Is something like this completely terrible? https://www.harveynorman.com.au/jamo-s-626-hcs-home-theater-system-with-8-side-firing-woofers-black-ash.html

Or this? https://www.harveynorman.com.au/klipsch-reference-series-5-1-channel-speaker-system.html

Any advice would be appreciated

Once you mention hardly normal (Harvey Norman) and home theatre, you would lose many people here. HN tend to be overpriced and many of the sales guys give the wrong advice.

Having said that, if they are the most convenient, and you have no choice, I would go the Klipsch. Have you listened to them?  This is an excellent article:

Not sure where you are based or whether it is convenient to go into Sydney, but you will have more choices there. 

Hey Snoopy,

lol yeah I get that about the HN thing, it was more for convenience as we are moving interstate so it is hard to know what stores I'll have access too. Currently live on the Central Coast of NSW so going to Sydney is not a problem, it's just that I wouldn't know where to start. Do hi-fi stores around Sydney put packages together in certain price ranges, I think I'd rather that than to pick and chose individual components (only cause I'm new to this). 

Are there perhaps 2-3 speaker sets that I could potentially narrow it down to (in my price range) and then listen to those ones, rather than going in blind? I know my current pioneer ones are extremely entry level but it was very handy having a complete pack, any other brands doing similar 5.1 setups? I'd definitely go and listen to some sets if I know a general direction. 

Thanks again

@SuttonDagger  I forgot to say :welcome:

As hopefullguy mentioned, Eastwood Hifi  have good packages at reasonable prices.  Have a look at their website to get an idea of what they offer. Then re-read the article in the link above about speakers being a personal choice.  There are some pertinent advice on what to do for someone new to audio and what to do when you audition speakers. At the end of the day, your ears are the best guide and do not be daunted by the Hifi Propeller Heads in the store and here (I suppose I am one!  :ohmy::lol:).

Also, do take your time to listen and try at low volume as well.  You want to be able to hear the details. I like to take music to the store because I am more familiar with them than movie sound tracks. 

We haven't discussed AVRs yet.  The two more popular brands are Yamaha and Denon, each have a "house sound".  I prefer Denon but there are plenty of Yamaha fans here.  Ignore the marketing crap about how much power they claim to have per channel.  A better guide is the power consumption - the higher it is, the better they are able to drive the speakers.  Again, use your ears to listen to the AVRs and if possible swap them around.  You may like a certain combination of AVR & speakers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SuttonDagger said:

lol yeah I get that about the HN thing, it was more for convenience as we are moving interstate so it is hard to know what stores I'll have access too.

Where are you shifting to? 

How about something like these. 

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/q-acoustics-2050i-speaker-system.html

Very good value for money, I think they sound great and should be good in a small room. Then maybe something like this. I really like the Denon ‘s

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/denon-avr-x3400h-7-2-channel-receiver.html

In such a small room I'd be inclined to go with in wall/ceiling speakers to maximise floor space. I believe Krix make some pretty nice ones at a reasonable price https://www.selby.com.au/brands/krix.html

If it is still being built I'd also ask if some custom cabinetry can be installed to keep the gear out of sight.

If buying online or from any discount store I'd want it in writing that stock is Australian delivery and from an authorised reseller.

45 minutes ago, SuttonDagger said:

@Snoopy8 Moving to Newport in QLD (about 40min North of Brisbane).

Brisbane HiFi and Aussie HiFi are 2 retailers you can look at but I have no personal dealings with them (am in Melbourne). I am sure the Brisbane SNAers can advise you further...

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek
On 3/13/2018 at 12:00 PM, SuttonDagger said:

Central Coast of NSW

Have you been into Mcleans at Gosford? worth a visit, not necessarily to buy (out of your budget) but to get a feel for how things can be done

Eastwood hifi would be a good option too, well price wise. They're out near Dural these days - a not too bad trip (Hornsby then the gorge and you're pretty much there)

Lots can be done with a room that small - once such example here

7 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

I would get this pack from Selby (that is on special at the moment)  https://www.selby.com.au/brands/q-acoustics/yamaha-rx-v381-q-acoustics-3010-5-1-pack-900552.html

Sell the QA subwoofer and grab an SVS SB-2000 from DeepHz (usually can be had for $1350ish delivered)

This would be great in a small room

That was the pack of qacoustic speakers I was looking for. Hooked my mate up with them and think they are mighty impressive for the price and size. The sub although not amazing it would probably be ok in such a small room.