Sign in to follow this  
Sparmac

T Table ID

Hi, New to this forum, so hello to you all.

Just bought a little turntable and can't see any I D

other than the Encel tag at front.

It had the usual tape residue on the lid, but cleaned up

well with alcohol and light polish. It has a Garrard SP 25 MK iv

table. I just cleaned it all up and works great.

Hope someone can I D model from photos.  Thank you.

(Sorry for poor quality photos).

encel (1).JPG

encel (2).JPG

encel (3).JPG

I'm not sure what info you want.  You have identified the TT as a Garrard SP 25 MK iv.  Garrard were a major UK turntable manufacturer, they built cheap+nasty autochangers through to tt's which are regarded as some of the best ever built.  Many of their lower-end models, like the one you have, were sold to manufacturers who incorporated them into stereo consoles, etc. 

Encel were a Melbourne-based importer/distributor/retailer, and one of the early players in the Melbourne HiFi scene.  It appears that they bought the Garrard TT's and sold them with their own badge on the plinth - not an uncommon practice at the time. 

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your tt.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes my question was a bit vague, but I was unsure

if Encel had a model No for this unit.  Thank you again-.

5 minutes ago, Sparmac said:

Thanks for your replies.

This isnt an AutoChanger mate.It still is a decent Turntable. Alex Encel is one of the pioneers in Aussie HiFi. Good luck to you mate:)

3 hours ago, Sparmac said:

Thanks for your replies.

I doubt that Encel would have called it anything else than a " Garrard SP-25".  It was probably only sold in their stores, so there would have been no need for a model number. 

If you want to refer to your table, I would suggest "Encel-badged, Garrard SP-25 MK4" or "Garrard SP-25 MK4 in an Encel plinth". 

Triva:  I believe that Encel was the first to import ProJect turntables into Australia, and they didn't put their brand on them.

I bought my first ever system (Luxman /Rotel/Interdyn) from Encel's in Richmond in the late '70's and they are happy memories for me. Driving down the old highway from Bendigo with a mate, smoking scoobs:lol:.....a trip to Encel's was an event but actually coming home with something.....truly excellent!:cool: Welcome @Sparmac and good luck with the TT.

Edited by stevoz