Sirmorebeer

A master class in speaker placement

Posted (edited)

So I've been getting wrong! Did you know measurement from front wall to the rear speaker cabinet is incorrect? It suppose to be from the wall to the woofer itself. Not all placements are suppose to be symmetrical.:lol: Lots of useful tips such as songs for bass tuning and stereo imaging. It also talked about null space and toeing. Enjoy...

Edited by Sirmorebeer

Thank you Brother Beer, I don't think we can champion experimenting with speaker placement enough on SNA.

Guest Sime

Lol, speaker placement in my space, limited :baby:

Posted (edited)

I thought you live in a yurt or did I get my wire crossed with someone else on SNA?:unsure:

Edited by Sirmorebeer

Guest Sime

@Sirmorebeer we have a yurt, I don’t live in it. I live in a caravan, thought that was well established by now ;)

1 hour ago, Sirmorebeer said:

So I've been getting wrong! Did you know measurement from front wall to the rear speaker cabinet is incorrect? It suppose to be from the wall to the woofer itself. Not all placements are suppose to be symmetrical.:lol: Lots of useful tips such as songs for bass tuning and stereo imaging. It also talked about null space and toeing. Enjoy...

Thank you. Excellent, need to set aside time to look at it properly.

i could not stop staring at his jazz hands

:lol:

glad re enforces some good points ie speakers away from wall dont sit back to wall, dont sit middle of room

i like what he says ie get locations speaker a listening position with respect room before treating and be careful with treating... ie only treat problem freq :)

like how reminds the rear port misnomer ie people think should get front ports if near real walls but really as long as blocking port all important

and yes distance is from driver plane ! not box sides / back :D

interesting his thought re 1/5th room i can understand with respect 1/3rd room. in my setup 1/3rd room works for main listening and speakers at actually 1/5th :)

i like his thoughts on track suggestions for setup.... listen with your ears :)

great video sirmore thanks for posting !

Posted (edited)

I usually used the Wilson starting point split the room into 1/3 rd's 

point the face of the speaker to intersect about 1 mtr behind your listening point

Wilson usually gets the speaker into a node that has less bass energy (boom)

that is a starting point then fine tune from there 

listening is usually 1.5 times the distance between tweeters

the new EMI 301 studio has just been open ,great youtube tour !!!

they spent almost $9 mill on acoustics !!

so when the PMC main monitors were installed ,there was no need for any equalisation ,to compensate room problems !

said to be 1 of the best rooms in the world, acoustically !

Edited by colinm1

I also agree on another couple of points of his.

ie toe in is really for where side walls for reflections and depends on what there is reflective or other surfaces :) though not go to severe and want to be able to see side veneers of speakers at lease

and that in a studio they will work to the equilateral triangle however in home listening you want to sit bit out side that :)

and not to have speaker equidistant from side and rear wall :)

some great stuff in that video ! 

Yes, some good lessons in video for beginners and old hands alike. What I really like is the emphasis on solving the bass issues.  Getting balanced bass contributes significantly to music enjoyment. 

Well,  I confessed! 

im not doing any of the master class examples....

i just crank it up loud and boogie with the music in the next room or outside in the open....it's more fun,  who has time to restrict themselves in the sweet spot?  :D

5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Well,  I confessed! 

im not doing any of the master class examples....

i just crank it up loud and boogie with the music in the next room or outside in the open....it's more fun,  who has time to restrict themselves in the sweet spot?  :D

Well...there is crass and there is class. Which one do you fit in?:na:

4 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Well...there is crass and there is class. Which one do you fit in?:na:

Both  :D

i sit sit on the fence and it depends on what mood I'm in!  

I cant do the garden while I'm that restrictive sweet spot.....    

The boss has priority and authority!  

Have to be in her good books and do the chores around the place....:)    

Impressive how they explain and discuss the issues in English for non native English language speakers.

Dude on the left keeps staring at me though

Great video particularly for a newb like me.  It's given me a lot of handy info, but raised some new questions in my mind.

Realistically the room I am using is probably the least suitable in terms of acoustics but the most suitable in terms of practicality.  

Cheers,

Terry

1 hour ago, Teksiis said:

Great video particularly for a newb like me.  It's given me a lot of handy info, but raised some new questions in my mind.

Realistically the room I am using is probably the least suitable in terms of acoustics but the most suitable in terms of practicality.  

Many of us have unsuitable rooms. The video gives you some good starting points and you work from there. The other issue is that there are diverse opinions on what's best. Unfortunately, no other way but to experiment and find out what works in your room.

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Many of us have unsuitable rooms. The video gives you some good starting points and you work from there. The other issue is that there are diverse opinions on what's best. Unfortunately, no other way but to experiment and find out what works in your room.

So you mean I am going to have to spend my afternoon playing around with speakers and listening to music?  That's going to be pretty rough, not sure I will manage.  :)

45 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

indeed many of us are making best of what we have. in practice I havent come across anyone with even dedicated rooms that havent in hind sight have some sort of compromise or other. just making best of them. the video certainly pretty help full i think no matter surrounds :)

More than once I have heard of people who were ready to trade their speakers in, then they made a better effort to properly position them and then they were as happy as Larry! Didn't cost a cent.

Poor old speakers get blamed for all sorts of things.

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

More than once I have heard of people who were ready to trade their speakers in, then they made a better effort to properly position them and then they were as happy as Larry! Didn't cost a cent.

Poor old speakers get blamed for all sorts of things.

How many pics have you seen where speakers are tucked right up against the walls/comers, even here on SNA (sorry, no name and shame...:D). Poor old speakers are suffocating. 

32 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

How many pics have you seen where speakers are tucked right up against the walls/comers, even here on SNA (sorry, no name and shame...:D). Poor old speakers are suffocating. 

But, maybe they like the SQ in that position and have experimented to come to the point where it currently is in that pic.  Some of us may never go there!   But a picture with a a pair of feet in front, ..  maybe it’s visual too!  :huh:

Guest Sime
37 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

This’ll make you cry

but is it terrible ……………………………………

image.jpg

Yeah, I concur some are restricted for whatever reasons...their "better" half? An inch forward could mean half their super!

1 minute ago, Sime said:

This’ll make you cry

but is it terrible ……………………………………

image.jpg

Have you ever heard your speaker at their very best @Sime? Any other possible option? Bigger cave? :D