How negotiable are hifi prices? What's the deal withh home trials?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Typical senario:

driving down the road, you need to fill up, you approached  an intersection that has 2 service station,  let’s leave out the details on brands!  You see the advertised signs for both per litre.  One says $1:50/ltr and the other says $1:29/ltr.  

I don’t have to guess which one you will pull in to fill up!  Spare me the details about quality after sale service!  Neither will assist you if your car refused to start after the fill, you’ll have to be towed to the local agent that deals with your brand of vehicle if there’s an issue.  

I'd take the BP before the Caltex no matter what the price and 98% only for my bikes. Don't drive.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Typical senario:

driving down the road, you need to fill up, you approached  an intersection that has 2 service station,  let’s leave out the details on brands!  You see the advertised signs for both per litre.  One says $1:50/ltr and the other says $1:29/ltr.  

I don’t have to guess which one you will pull in to fill up!  Spare me the details about quality after sale service!  Neither will assist you if your car refused to start after the fill, you’ll have to be towed to the local agent that deals with your brand of vehicle if there’s an issue.  

Well to me fuel is just a commodity to which I have no brand loyalty.

For instance I will fill up more often than not at a United fuel station rather than a Shell, both run exactly the same product. United is actually part owned by Shell. Not only that I avoid them jsut because of the 4c discount docket. So is one is 10c cheaper its a no brainer for me. For me it's like buying a can of coke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Typical senario:

Hmm.

So we are comparing apples  with wing nuts now.

I am sure you know that there are government mandated fuel quality standards for starters and secondly nobody expects any after sales service with fuel. Fuel is all the same ( by law ) and nothing to do with this topic.

Now can we get back to hi fi and follow the trail of cheapskates going to a hi fi store, demanding the best service for their faulty component, after they had purchased it online to save $20?

All of these smartarses will pay the ( higher ) price when there are no retailers left for service or advice.

I ( expletive deleted ) hate this attitude:angry:

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I'd take the BP before the Caltex no matter what the price

What if the price difference was 30%? 40%?

If you mean you don’t drive, then because petrol stations sell petrol, for people to drive, your comment is kind of irrelevant. 

If you mean 98% octane, that’s a product choice. 

Good on you for riding though!

Edited by Mike13
Edit

2 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

What if the price difference was 30%? 40%?

If you mean you don’t drive, then because petrol stations sell petrol, for people to drive, your comment is kind of irrelevant. 

If you mean 98% octane, that’s a product choice. 

Good on you for riding though!

BP98 is a better petrol. What I'm saying is this, Its not the price that always influences me. Why two petrol stations was used, I don't know, lets start getting out the book of similarites.

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

Fuel is all the same ( by law ) and nothing to do with this topic.

Agree.

11 minutes ago, rantan said:

Now can we get back to hi fi and follow the trail of cheapskates going to a hi fi store, demanding the best service for their faulty component, after they had purchased it online to save $20?

I don’t think anyone here said that they do this Rantan. If you buy a product online I agree you can’t then go to a retailer for a faulty product. No one is disputing that.

Asking for a ‘best price’ normal consumer behaviour, not cheapskate behaviour. You’ve never asked for one?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

It's only normal for certain items. You don't haggle at woolies or caltex or Myer

Yes, true. I should’ve said for higher priced non consumable goods (not like food and drink). 

Edited by Mike13

2 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Agree.

I don’t think anyone here said that they do this Rantan. If you buy a product online I agree you can’t then go to a retailer for a faulty product. No one is disputing that.

Asking for a ‘best price’ normal consumer behaviour, not cheapskate behaviour. You’ve never asked for one?

Fair enough Mike.  My objection/s are with people who regard price as the only factor.

I should add for context, that I do not mind people working out a mutually agreeable price with a sales person with whom they have spent some time.

Presumably with that sales person allowing them to audition several components or pairs of speakers ( or even a home trial ) and who has helped with the choice and given informed advice.

However.............a lot of people will do the above and then shop that price all around town and on the internet with sales people whom they have never spoken to  but who may be happy to give a lower price since there is no work to be done i.e. it has been done by the original sales person.

If you work with a professional sales person, in good faith and after some trial and error, find exactly what you want then you can have a civilised discussion about pricing which will be to the benefit of both parties.

When I worked in the audio trade, once the customer was happy with his/her selection we would then have a price discussion and I was happy to do that. I also said to them that they could contact me about any audio issues or questions at any point in the future after the sale and I am pleased to say I retained a lot of customers that way.

To those who marched in and asked what my best price was, I would very politely tell them that the best price would be offered when they came in ready to buy and place a deposit.

I hope this provides some context.:)

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 4:36 PM, Mike13 said:

I think Apple has been quite clever in not allowing retailers to discount their prices. It takes away any expectation of the customer for a discounted price. Demand has to be high enough to do this. It seems mostly to apply to premium, high demand, products.

I don't know how this isn't illegal.

On 4/15/2018 at 4:36 PM, Mike13 said:

RRP these days is not a useful indicator of market rate for many products for consumers. An example is the pots and pans and linen that Harris Scarfe sells at a constant discount of 50-70%.

My understanding is that this is set by the supplier/agent/manufacturer and should by utterly non binding. 

You can discount Apple products as much as you like as a retailer. But factor this, when you are paying 8 staff $700+/week and paying $10000/month in rent & power and you are starting off with 4-9% margin... How much can you afford to discount it?

1 minute ago, Gremrock said:

You can discount Apple products as much as you like as a retailer. But factor this, when you are paying 8 staff $700+/week and paying $10000/month in rent & power and you are starting off with 4-9% margin... How much can you afford to discount it?

There are people out there  who think  that not discounting is a crime. Apparently the retailer is in business merely to provide service and advice free of charge and act as a non profit organisation.

• Like 3

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, rantan said:

Fair enough Mike.  My objection/s are with people who regard price as the only factor.

I should add for context, that I do not mind people working out a mutually agreeable price with a sales person with whom they have spent some time.

Presumably with that sales person allowing them to audition several components or pairs of speakers ( or even a home trial ) and who has helped with the choice and given informed advice.

However.............a lot of people will do the above and then shop that price all around town and on the internet with sales people whom they have never spoken to  but who may be happy to give a lower price since there is no work to be done i.e. it has been done by the original sales person.

If you work with a professional sales person, in good faith and after some trial and error, find exactly what you want then you can have a civilised discussion about pricing which will be to the benefit of both parties.

When I worked in the audio trade, once the customer was happy with his/her selection we would then have a price discussion and I was happy to do that. I also said to them that they could contact me about any audio issues or questions at any point in the future after the sale and I am pleased to say I retained a lot of customers that way.

To those who marched in and asked what my best price was, I would very politely tell them that the best price would be offered when they came in ready to buy and place a deposit.

With high priced goods, from people who run their businesses well, the best discount can be no discount. The good dealers that I've dealt with, I want to stay in business, and will set their prices according to what they generally need to charge. If someone is giving me a demonstration and the benefit of their experience, then they are probably doing that for lots of people who don't buy, and I respect that.

Since I'm not inclined to haggle, I won't go to dealers who charge very high prices with the intent of discounting when asked. If someone offers a lower price at the time of purchase I'll assume they can afford it, and I don't expect to suddenly be charged a higher price when handing over the cash, which has happened to me!

1 hour ago, rantan said:

It does :)

Yours is a good way of selling and a good way of responding to those who march in demanding. The other way wasn’t good. 

48 minutes ago, crisis said:

I don't know how this isn't illegal.

My understanding is that this is set by the supplier/agent/manufacturer and should by utterly non binding. 

That’s correct that rrp is non binding. I was pointing out that it’s not a good indicator of market price. 

I’m wrong about Apple. As @Gremrock says the seller isn’t bound by their price recommendation.

Other than products which are sold direct I.e Miele, Asko and other high end direct purchase things (you pay them and then the store gets paid based on written sales) everything can be discounted pretty much. But people struggle to understand the costs behind business.. There can be $10000/week or more which has to be paid out of profit (not selling price) before the business begins to make any money. 

48 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

Is this your actual experience?

I’ve actually walked into Myers.  Told them Im Interested in that MacBook Pro. Told them that that this is the price they had to either better or equal, either way it didn’t  matter, I wanted that MacBook Pro.  They checked the price they had to match,  they knew I wasn’t joking and making it up!   I walked out of Myers with a MacBook Pro and matched the price that retailer X was having a 10% discount!  That’s approx $330 off the RRP.  Every MacBook in this household has been bought the same way!  We wait till retailer X has a 10% discount on Apple computers, and its 10% off on over the counter stock, not custom orders.

Here’s a another senario, hifi related.  :)

Brick and Mortar retailer A and B advertise on line.

They both sell the OPPO 205 RRP $2200 Both have it in stock and can be picked up or delivered! 

However retailer A advertise online that the OPPO 205 for this week will be discounted to $1700.   How many here wanting an OPPO 205 will take advantage of the discount?