How negotiable are hifi prices? What's the deal withh home trials?

Speakers etc seem to me to be the type of thing that would be quite negotiable on price. If I see a $3000 TV I usually expect to pay closer to $2500 for it. How much should I expect to pay on $3000 speakers?

What's the deal with home trials? It seems unwise to drop a bunch of money on speakers that I've only heard in their room on their gear for 10 mins with a salesman watching me.

• Like 1

Spot on about speakers being personal and ideally you want to try them at home. Home trials can be arranged, usually for more expensive stuff or you are an existing customer. No harm asking, but do not be surprised if the answer is no, especially if you have just walked in off the street. 

Regarding pricing, you may be able to get similar discounts but a lot depends on brands and their distributors policies.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Guest Muon N'

For many boutique manufactures that sell direct, a reduction like that would mean they make no profit at all.

Beyond that area It's variable, although a business is subject to a fair bit of running costs after wholesale cost and shipping ect', so large reductions might not be viable if they wish to stay in business.

Agree that in home is the best trial, but often isn't possible.

@Gumptown, I look at the USD or Euro price and work out what the AUD RRP cost is.
On bigger brands that have distributors there should be room to move; remembering that RRP has some built in profit. On boutique or direct to customer sales this may not be possible and full price is usually a cost saving anyway.
There is no harm in asking but the best way to get a decent deal is to ask around on here for advice. Plenty of people who know a fair bit about everything.
That and possiblely buy used or demo, probably one of the better ways to save money.

We’ve had really spotty records with loans.

I had a bookshelf speaker come back with chips on the cabinet. And another came back without the biwire bridges attached.

Sometimes it gets too hectic and we can’t inspect or test the items when they are returned.

We still loan some gear out with a deposit or credit card on hold. But it can be kinda difficult with speakers. Which can be extremely heavy and fragile and sometimes hard to repack again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Support your local retailer.

If not, buy your stuff on line cheap and look after the warranty and backup service yourself.:thumb:

Absolutely right.

The problem now is that people want the gear at cost price and then expect free installation, delivery and much fawning and arse kissing. Some others buy stuff online and if they ever have a problem with the item, they take it back to the shop, who gave them good advice in the first place.

I really have NFI why people think it's a crime for a business ( audio in particular ) to actually make a profit.

Any audio retailer in business these days certainly ain't doing it to get rich.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 12

I think many hifi stores tend to proactively advertise heavy discounts like $3000 down to $2500 (often due to the model being superseded, a deal with a distributor ending, or sadly due to a store closure). Otherwise, and unless the store has a high markup to begin with, I'd say discounts in the 0-10% range are more realistic in that price range. They simply don't have the turnover compared with the major electrical retailers.

Make sure you're happy with the price of any add-ons like speaker cables as well. There may be higher margins with accessories.

Hifi magazines from the US and UK may suggest doing home auditions. I don't know if it's more common in other countries or because those hifi journalists are in the inner circle, but I didn't have any luck when I was shopping for new gear. Staff were pretty apologetic about it - it sounds like they've just been burned too many times. Typically they will be happy for you to bring in your speakers to try with an amp or vice versa, especially if you discuss best "non peak" times to do this in advance. Not quite the same I know, but it goes some way to reducing risk. 

• 3 weeks later...

By all means politely ask for a discount if you are seriously committed to buying.  Whatever their reply, respect it.  You have the choice to accept the offered price or to walk away.  The retailer has the right to earn their living and to stay in business. 

• Like 2

Everything is negotiable, its the world we live in. 

I think retailers expect a bit of haggle, I'd suggest that wiggle room is almost definately worked into the RRP of most things.  Often and unintentionally i've hummed and harred over something and they've been the ones throwing discounts at me to buy it!  Maybe they heard my mind ticking over??

My only consideration is that I would never ask "best price" unless I had intentions of making the purchase.  Its a bit like asking for a %$&% and then walking away  - not cool IMHO. 

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

I would, buy that’s just me!  :D

Yeah......... the type of tyre kicker nobody wants to deal with. The best approach to buyers like this is to quote them RRP....only

47 minutes ago, rantan said:

Yeah......... the type of tyre kicker nobody wants to deal with. The best approach to buyers like this is to quote them RRP....only

If you have that attitude, stay out of retail!  

If you want my money, you have to work on it, if you don’t ill walk out and go somewhere else. Like what one of my client says; “ it’s just business”.   Just remember that entertainment gear is not vital for the everyday household need....

plenty of hifi outlets via bricks and mortar and on line....  if you can’t compete; so be it, I’ll go somewhere else  where a salesperson needs to make budget and will give it to me at the price I’m willing to pay!  

No different to large organisations such as Local and Federal contracts that put out for tender, and usually the most competitive price wins the day!  Have a problem with that?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If you want my money, you have to work on it, if you don’t ill walk out and go somewhere else. Like what one of my client says; “ it’s just business”.   Just remember that entertainment gear is not vital for the everyday household need....

plenty of hifi outlets via bricks and mortar and on line....  if you can’t compete; so be it, I’ll go somewhere else  where a salesperson needs to make budget and will give it to me at the price I’m willing to pay!  

No different to large organisations such as Local and Federal contracts that put out for tender, and usually the most competitive price wins the day!  Have a problem with that?

I worked in audio retail for 3 decades so I don't require advice. I made many sales and had many loyal customers, so many in fact, that I never needed to deal with time wasters wanting the best price so they could shop it around mercilessly .

Professional sales people deal with people who are ready to buy--not ready to pimp your price around town. My regular customers knew that they would always get a competitive price and ongoing service and advice, which is more than box shifter will do for you.

I should add that this was never targeted at you personally

Edited by rantan

19 minutes ago, rantan said:

I worked in audio retail for 3 decades and made many sales and had many loyal customers, too many in fact so I never needed to deal with time wasters wanting the best price so they could shop it around mercilessly .

Professional sales people deal with people who are ready to buy--not ready to pimp your price around town.

I should add that this was never targeted at you personally

I know you to well @rantan.  And I don’t feel targeted.  The hifi industry is no different to any other industry.  In the last 7yrs I’ve seen the devestated effects due to a change in management policy.  We went from growing at a rate that far exceeded expectation to policy where we now have to make a set % of each box.  So what we see here is a declined in contracts becuase we get beaten in price every time!  So we grew from 300 staff in a Melb to now lest than 100.  Get the drift, and it’s all to do with pricing in tenders, we had 3 of the 4 big banks, we are now down to one, we had Victoria Police, to zilch,  we had DOHS, DOJ and DOD All gone!  The only DOD is what’s I’ve been servicing since 1994!   They won’t  go anywhere else becuase I overservice  them!  I work around our system flaws to keep them uptime they will not get anywhere else.   We went into setting this Snap guy up, servicing him and gave him machinery to get him by, all to sweetened up the deal, so the next time you go there and you see a Canon on the floor it’s like WTF!    The customers response:   “ it’s just business Pete....you couldn’t compete price wise..".    

Thats the reality of sales  despite what people have posted here.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If you only buy on price, what service is the salesperson providing other than convincing you that they will give you the best price available and that is only on the product they have access to resell. In fact it may not be the best product for your purpose but that seems to be irrelevant. Now I know why so much newish product comes up here for resale, there must be a lot of similar people with the same buying technique. Sorry I can’t sell you anything , I don’t really discount, I’d rather value add if possible and make the purchase a lot more positive rather than discounting which is actually a rather negative process. Today I bought a jacket and didn’t ask for a discount and because Cath was buying some other items from the seller, he reduced the price by $300. We spent 2 hours with him, he made us tea, he took us on a tour of his workshop and he is probably having dinner with his wife celebrating the good fortune of a nice sale and I wish him the joy of it. What kind of experience would it have been if I just started to haggle straight away, do you think I would feel joy, do you think he would want to remember me? When I put the jacket on I remember the joy of being there and buying from him, not if I managed to get a good discount.

10 minutes ago, guru said:

If you only buy on price, what service is the salesperson providing other than convincing you that they will give you the best price available and that is only on the product they have access to resell. In fact it may not be the best product for your purpose but that seems to be irrelevant. Now I know why so much newish product comes up here for resale, there must be a lot of similar people with the same buying technique. Sorry I can’t sell you anything , I don’t really discount, I’d rather value add if possible and make the purchase a lot more positive rather than discounting which is actually a rather negative process. Today I bought a jacket and didn’t ask for a discount and because Cath was buying some other items from the seller, he reduced the price by $300. We spent 2 hours with him, he made us tea, he took us on a tour of his workshop and he is probably having dinner with his wife celebrating the good fortune of a nice sale and I wish him the joy of it. What kind of experience would it have been if I just started to haggle straight away, do you think I would feel joy, do you think he would want to remember me? When I put the jacket on I remember the joy of being there and buying from him, not if I managed to get a good discount.

During any tender process, the rule of play for any purchasers is that they’d accept no sweaters or freebies, so dinner etc etc etc or whatever is on offer is regarded as a “conflict of interest “.   Even a free coffee!  It’s a case for dismissal.   And this remains on record! 

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

I’m sorry the. You don’t have my business.

Well that's no skin off my nose. There is no profit from this type of customer anyway. Good riddance.

What is this a freaking charity/good will store?  Sheesh.

12 minutes ago, rantan said:

Well that's no skin off my nose. There is no profit from this type of customer anyway. Good riddance.

What is this a freaking charity/good will store?  Sheesh.

Welcome to the real world,  it doesn’t just evolves around hyped up prices.  You don’t just live on repeat clients alone.  Like I said b4, plenty of products to chose from, whether it’s brick and mortar or on line.  A client is a client, whether he’s “kicking a tyre”  or ready to buy!   Most people walk into a store are propably browsing for possibilities, and info the price is agreeable they’ll consider, far from the attitude you have presented.

41 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

During any tender process, the rule of play for any purchasers is that they’d accept no sweaters or freebies, so dinner etc etc etc or whatever is on offer is regarded as a “conflict of interest “.   Even a free coffee!  It’s a case for dismissal.   And this remains on record! 

The value adding is done only after the initial purchase , not as an incentive to buy. Trying to induce a result just confuses buyers and then they really think you are making too much profit, ever heard of free steak knives. And being self employed, I can fire the staff anytime I like and send them down the pub to drown their sorrows.

1 minute ago, guru said:

The value adding is done only after the initial purchase , not as an incentive to buy. Trying to induce a result just confuses buyers and then they really think you are making too much profit, ever heard of free steak knives. And being self employed, I can fire the staff anytime I like and send them down the pub to drown their sorrows.

You may find that in your case it won’t matter,  with Government contracts and high profile organisations such as banks etc even after the document  are signed and the deal is done,  nearly all purchasing personnel are usually under strict operating procedures, this is  so it’s done professionally to not “side “ to one supplier. 

And you do realise that anyone with that attitude towards potential clients and treating them all as “just tyre kickers “ should be let go!   Anyone that present that attitude because I’m enquiring on a possible lower price I  just turn my back and walk right out that door I came through.

True story:

one individual wanted to spend $50k on photographic gear, all he wanted was the best price.  Walk up Elizabeth St in  Melb and you can’t go wrong!  Theres  Ted, Micheals, Camera house and JB photograhics!    He looks like a teenager straight out of school,  so it looks like he didn’t have the cash or the means, walked into 3 of the established shops and not one gave him the price he wanted.   Walked into the final store and they gave  a better price that he though he get.  He established a relationship  with that  sales person, he’s spent a further 30k and will continue to do so only with him.  He’s also introduced me to this sales guy and we buy electronics  and other gear of him, he gets his mates too, all through this salespersons who’s willing to discount!   The guy that wanted to spend $50k is my son and he’s a professional photographer.

• Like 2

Over the years when buying from a local hifi shop from a salesman of course you negotiate on the %100 markup plus commission.He will also push you to buy add on extras.Times have changed for me and although I don’t always buy new with my new range of toys I do not bargain for a lower price as I value my dealers experience (not salesman) and after sale service.

Stump

p.s My last local bought speakers which I had some custom modifications I actually paid more then the final price asked.Thats how much I value after sales service.

• Like 1