Reliability Issues with ECM Coffee Machines

Hey peeps, 

Anyone here experience reliability issues with their ECM machines? I bought a Barista  one year and seven days ago and have had three issues so far. 

1) turned on but didn’t heat up at all - fixed under warranty 

2) squeaky lever - came back that way after first warranty repair but I didn’t have time to take it back

3) water tank grommet broke - this happened the other day just seven days out of warranty. 

Having issues getting it looked at but I’ll leave that out of the discussion. 

Any other stories about ECM machines and poor reliability? 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hey Muzzagruzz,

How did the ECM machine pan out in the end? Have you still got it? I was thinking about an upgrade to our Espresso machine Breville Twin Boiler has been rock solid for over 3 years but I like my coffee and have always admired the ECM machines or Profitec (which are apparently the same thing). Be interested on your thoughts and where you are now with this machine / brand if at all?

Of all places on an Audio Forum who'd of thought ;) 

Kind regards

Mark

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2020 at 2:38 PM, MJJW said:

Hey Muzzagruzz,

How did the ECM machine pan out in the end? Have you still got it? I was thinking about an upgrade to our Espresso machine Breville Twin Boiler has been rock solid for over 3 years but I like my coffee and have always admired the ECM machines or Profitec (which are apparently the same thing). Be interested on your thoughts and where you are now with this machine / brand if at all?

Of all places on an Audio Forum who'd of thought ;) 

Kind regards

Mark

We went from a Breville double boiler like you (in fact have had three in a row - first 2 seemed to last 2 years before failing and we traded the last one in the first year) to a Rocket espresso. Will never look back - whole family very happy with the move. We’ve had the rocket for over a year now and everybody’s favourite thing - esp when stuck at home. 

No experience with ECM but your experience doesn't sound very good.

Rancilio Silvia, seven years old, used at least a couple of times daily, every day, never missed a beat.

pid9.jpg

Edited by ArthurDent
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the pro technika IV. 

I had to replace the motherboard after about 3 years. On the plus side the safety valve worked and the machine didn’t blow up. It was expensive to get the part. I’ll see if I can dig up the details. 

it does make a great coffee. 

Edited by PKay
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't know anyone replied to this topic. 

An update, as of today, 14 May 20, I've experienced my sixth of seventh breakdown. Had it serviced and repaired in January of this year and it was working really well but today it lost steam pressure and water temperature. 

Oh my, I'm so glad I bought an ECM. Think I'll just sell it for parts as I just can't bear to spend any more money on this POS. 

Any suggestions on a machine in the $3k mark? Not ECM or Profitec as they are sisters companies. 

On 16/04/2020 at 3:42 PM, A J said:

We went from a Breville double boiler like you (in fact have had three in a row - first 2 seemed to last 2 years before failing and we traded the last one in the first year) to a Rocket espresso. Will never look back - whole family very happy with the move. We’ve had the rocket for over a year now and everybody’s favourite thing - esp when stuck at home. 

Hi A J, which model Rocket did you get? 

On 14/05/2020 at 9:42 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Didn't know anyone replied to this topic. 

An update, as of today, 14 May 20, I've experienced my sixth of seventh breakdown. Had it serviced and repaired in January of this year and it was working really well but today it lost steam pressure and water temperature. 

Oh my, I'm so glad I bought an ECM. Think I'll just sell it for parts as I just can't bear to spend any more money on this POS. 

Any suggestions on a machine in the $3k mark? Not ECM or Profitec as they are sisters companies. 

I haven't heard anything especially negative about ECM, but I'm not familiar with the current market. I'd try some of the coffee sites (I use Coffeesnobs all the time.) for lots of discussion on machines and where to get good deals.

In terms of other review sites, productreview.com.au does good reviews for many product categories (you have to be careful of small review samples done for less popular products, possibly done by staff, but overall I've found the guidance there to be valuable). Sad to say I've had more luck with guidance from this site than with the reviews from Choice, even though I'm a supporter and subscriber 🙁.  Also Seattlecoffeegear (both YouTube channel and shop with site reviews) is a fun and informative place.

I get the impression from several friends that for general reliability, Breville is right up there and makes a good coffee. 

On 14/05/2020 at 8:14 PM, muzzagruzz said:

Hi A J, which model Rocket did you get? 

We went for the rotary pump model Giotto - similar to this one 

10 hours ago, A J said:

We went for the rotary pump model Giotto - similar to this one 

Looks great. They have a great reputation too.

I bought an ECM last year and had issues with the heating element, it kept cutting out at about 90*C. Had it fixed, then happened again so I got rid off it.

got a new set up now and it just produces consistently good extraction every time.

I even have takeaway cups to give out to neighbors sometimes, they love it 😃

GS3 EK.jpg