Sign in to follow this  
agelessgoodguy

F1 -- 2018

Yeah, that was a great race! Best of the year so far IMO 👍

Which proved Ferrari had the faster car, Vettel cracked under pressure again and Vestappan is a very slow learner, he just doesn't get it.

If Bottas had have done that to him, he would have cried like a baby! 😫

I think Dan was doing Renault a favour? and ran the new spec suspect engine that not even Renault would use.

Got my old Exciting Sounds of Grand Prix out for it's annual spin. Mike Parkes around Monza in a V12 Ferrari...those were the days!

Another straight clean win by Hamilton last night takes his lead out to 40 points now over Vettele who came home third behind Max. Siriocon seemed set to drive every one crazy by hogging the road and running people off when he could so got a penalty as did Perez. Overall a "standard race" in higher temperatures and more body abuse due to the temp and number of corners. Russia next.

Edited by agelessgoodguy
spelling correction

Seriously, they need to ban team orders.
If I were Hamilton, I’d be embarrassed!
You’re supposed to win on merit... I just turned it off!

yep real racing was postponed last night when that happened at Mercedes, at least at Force India they undid their demanded swap about. I wish Botas had stayed up front until just before the line to create maximum discussion and show even more so, his displeasure, even Lucas looked sheepish patting him on the back and saying thanks!

18 hours ago, Peter-C said:

Seriously, they need to ban team orders.
If I were Hamilton, I’d be embarrassed!
You’re supposed to win on merit... I just turned it off!

And Ferrari having been ruining some of Kimi's races for years in attempts to tactically upset the Mercedes drivers.

The problem last night for Mercedes is they were about to become part of a Red Bull and Ferrari sandwich and Bottas wasn't quick enough to stay out of Hamilton's way and thus his tyres started to suffer (blister).

The problem last night for Mercedes is they were about to become part of a Red Bull and Ferrari sandwich and Bottas wasn't quick enough to stay out of Hamilton's way and thus his tyres started to suffer (blister).

Bottas was quicker than Hamilton, one of his favourite tracks, remember he won there last year and out- qualied him last year as well (by nearly half a second).
Bottas must be thinking, why bother!

9 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Bottas was quicker than Hamilton, one of his favourite tracks...

That's not what I saw. Lewis was within DRS range several times. Although there was not much between them.

Lewis would have easily been on pole (this year) if he had of got his best lap together.

Edited by Satanica

On 01/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Satanica said:

That's not what I saw. Lewis was within DRS range several times. Although there was not much between them.

Lewis would have easily been on pole (this year) if he had of got his best lap together.

But he didn't--and that's racing.

I just watched the replay. In 20 some laps Hamilton pulled away a tad over 2 seconds. I know it's a "team" sport but to give Hamilton 5 extra points and have Bottas be a 'guard' was, IMO, disgusting. Were they so sure of Hamilton's need for those points that they needed Bottas to sacrifice a win?

We saw too little of Red Bull's passing excellence and in the end I fell asleep in front of the TV.

Edited by GregWormald

I just watched the replay. In 20 some laps Hamilton pulled away a tad over 2 seconds. I know it's a "team" sport but to give Hamilton 5 extra points and have Bottas be a 'guard' was, IMO, disgusting. Were they so sure of Hamilton's need for those points that they needed Bottas to sacrifice a win?

We saw too little of Red Bull's passing excellence and in the end I fell asleep in front of the TV.

Totally agree...

19 hours ago, GregWormald said:

That would be 7 extra points.

In case I didn't make it clear the first time, Bottas was not clearing Hamilton enough and this was damaging his tyres with Vettel getting ready to swoop.

It made sense to swap them when they did.

If would have been nice if they swapped them back at the end.

But if you think motor-sport is a "nice guy" sport you need to be watching something else.

Teams orders have been happening for decades, it is part of the sport.

When they outlawed it the teams (Ferrari) just came up with tricks to short circuit it.

At least what happened last race was honest and up front.

EDIT: As far as only pulling out a 2-3 second lead, I think Lewis was somewhat pacing himself, looking after the car and tyres.

Car and/or tyre breakage can only take the title from him now.

Edited by Satanica

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

That would be 7 extra points.

Exactly. The team needs to win the driver championship. Its too close to give up 7 points. No one likes that they had to do it.

Once he clinches, and if he is in position to do it, it would be nice to see Lewis let Valteri pass him for a victory.

dave

Edited by planet10

I applaud Mercedes for giving Hamilton the win. It's business.

15 hours ago, Jake said:

I applaud Mercedes for giving Hamilton the win. It's business.

The fact is we don't even know what would have happened if they hadn't of traded places when they did.

Multiple scenarios were possible with the majority looking bad for Mercedes and LH.

The US GP could prove to be one of the fastest as the cars are really belting through the corners on the Americas circuit. Lewis yet again with a circuit record and first place with Kimi beside him on different tyres could make for an intersting first few laps, we'll see tomorrow morning. Vettle got knocked back 3 spots for speeding in practise under a red flag, our Dan is stareting fourth while Max is starting well back after failing to finish Q2 via broken suspension running wide on T15.

Congrats to our Danny getting P1 for the mexican GP tomorrow with Max beside hime and Lucas in thrid meaning a rather crammed corner at the end of the straight,  hmmmm who'll come out best?