Marc

Quality 3.5mm Stereo to RCA Cable?

I must be doing something wrong but I can't seem to find/google a quality 3.5mm stereo to stereo RCA cable?

I can find loads of absolute cheapies, but none of reasonable quality out there.

Any advice?

I bought an Audioquest one a few years ago.

Something like this: https://www.audiotrends.com.au/cables-accessories/analogue-cables/rca-to-3-5mm-cables/audioquest-evergreen-2-metre.html

You could go up the range depending on budget.

This link might be better: https://www.audiotrends.com.au/cables-accessories/analogue-cables/rca-to-3-5mm-cables.html

Edited by Darryl
added link

Thanks @Darryl - that's looking a little better.

This is resolved now as a very generous member has contacted me with a surplus cable.

Chord iChord

I have the WireWorld Luna one, not exceptional compared to my usual RCA's, but much better than generic cheapies.

DIY? Maybe @Bill125812 can make you one. I recommend the Furutech FT-735(R)3.5mm plug.

16 minutes ago, essencez said:

DIY? Maybe @Bill125812 can make you one. I recommend the Furutech FT-735(R)3.5mm plug.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

This is resolved now as a very generous member has contacted me with a surplus cable.

The single biggest change I have heard for the better is going from a belkin cable to an Audio-quest golden gate 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Highly recommended !

What would be the audio quality difference between

- a high quality 3.5mm->RCA cable, and

- using an adaptor (like the cheap one below, but made from high-quality components) with a high-quality RCA->RCA interconnect? 

The extra signal path in the adapter would be minimal, and you would be able to use your interconnect cable of choice. 

image.png.4bb82205ba36033cc554e058a0df6b6d.png

Edited by audiofeline

Hi All!

Assuming nothing has changed as yet re a budget friendly cable?

looks like the audioquest, bluejeans, Jaycar and Selby are the best options at this stage. 

Any recommendations from either of the above or any others?

On 05/07/2018 at 1:03 PM, audiofeline said:

What would be the audio quality difference between

- a high quality 3.5mm->RCA cable, and

- using an adaptor (like the cheap one below, but made from high-quality components) with a high-quality RCA->RCA interconnect?  The extra signal path in the adaptor would be minimal, and you would be able to use your interconnect cable of choice. 

I had the same thought about using an adapter to minimize signal path and in the end I used both. The primary driver was practicality. 

I had a laptop with a 3.5mm out and I found the adapter with RCA cables put pressure on the jack. Also the gap between the RCA connectors on the adapter were to close for my high quality RCA cables. I bought a 3.5mm to RCA cable and it worked well.

Later, I bought a portable DAC  (similar to the Audioquest DragonFly ) so I revisited the adapter. I found RCA cables put pressure the USB port. I bought a small USB tail from the laptop to the DAC and which helped.

In my permanent static environment I used makeshift cable lifters and supporters to relieve weight and strain, but even then it was fairly fragile. Towards the end I started question putting expensive RCA cables behind a 3.5 mm connector and a USB tail.

Posted (edited)

I have made my own in the past with Canare F-12 3.5mm connectors and reasonably thin unbalanced audio cable to a pair of RCAs.

These days I use usb audio from my mobile devices, but sometimes the 3.5mm comes in handy for when someone has an older ipod or non-android/ios based portable.

Edited by GaryT

I just gave away the one I had made by Bills Cables, to another SNA member.

Hit up Bill on here....  👌

On 26/06/2020 at 4:41 PM, Special K said:

Hi All!

Assuming nothing has changed as yet re a budget friendly cable?

looks like the audioquest, bluejeans, Jaycar and Selby are the best options at this stage. 

Any recommendations from either of the above or any others?

I would think that BlueJeans and Audioquest would probably have better quality cable than the Jaycar and Selby.  BlueJeans let you know exactly what cable you are buying.

Posted (edited)

Re: strain on mini-RCA adapter. 

In addition to the linear style I posted above, some situations may benefit more from the right-angle design, example below (apologies for the large pic, this one from Audioquest).

7738cce896f5096bc34fec89c082f86b.jpg

Edited by audiofeline

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Re: strain on mini-RCA adapter. 

In addition to the linear style I posted above, some situations may benefit more from the right-angle design, example below (apologies for the large pic, this one from Audioquest).

7738cce896f5096bc34fec89c082f86b.jpg

That’s a good suggestion too. That will go in the back pocket for now though. 

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I would think that BlueJeans and Audioquest would probably have better quality cable than the Jaycar and Selby.  BlueJeans let you know exactly what cable you are buying.

Thank you. Good point!

Looks like BlueJeans can also custom it to a certain degree if needed.