Honey Badger

HDMI issues with JVC and Xbox One S

I have a Xbox One S connected to a Marantz Sr6011 which is connected via HDMI out to a  JVC-x5500. The cable I am running from the receiver to JVC is a 10m Comsol cable that has been frequently recommended around here. Now, I use the One S as a 4k player and when clicking the blu-ray player with a 4k disc inside the picture will automatically drop out and the JVC doesn't detect a connection. I have to switch back and forth through HDMI inputs on the JVC and after a few try's it will lock on and the image will appear. All is good after this except every so often (every 2-3 viewing sessions), the picture will drop out through a movie or something. There are no issues when playing 1080p material on the One S or when playing content through my standard blu-ray player which is also connected to the receiver. Do we think the main problem is the 10m cable and if so should I seek a replacement?  Thanks for any help :)

17 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

I have a Xbox One S connected to a Marantz Sr6011 which is connected via HDMI out to a  JVC-x5500. The cable I am running from the receiver to JVC is a 10m Comsol cable that has been frequently recommended around here. Now, I use the One S as a 4k player and when clicking the blu-ray player with a 4k disc inside the picture will automatically drop out and the JVC doesn't detect a connection. I have to switch back and forth through HDMI inputs on the JVC and after a few try's it will lock on and the image will appear. All is good after this except every so often (every 2-3 viewing sessions), the picture will drop out through a movie or something. There are no issues when playing 1080p material on the One S or when playing content through my standard blu-ray player which is also connected to the receiver. Do we think the main problem is the 10m cable and if so should I seek a replacement?  Thanks for any help :)

unfortunately if you do a google you will find hdmi handshake issues with the xbox 360 one s. its a early gen  legacy device. the one x which replaced it and i have works fine  for uhd but also struggles with hdmi handshakes with negotiating with legacy gear. its all sloppy hdmi hdcp programming microsoft support admitted to me. i have run number of other uhd players now with samsung, pana ub900, oppo 203 and 205 also run the 4k apple TV all work seamlessly so nothing to do with cable ( iu run the same).

only other thing id suggest check your output settings as to what they are, I know one other who did change which sorted things with his display.

ps just and example with a guy having a rant ! :D

for player I would suggest any one of the dedicated player eg low cost pana ub400

Guest EZYHD

Yes Al we have come across this Xbox problem too, cables were blamed but apprently not so once we read info on AVS forums.

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2018 at 10:08 AM, Honey Badger said:

Regarding the cable -  it wouldn't cause those issues but I have found that a Ruipro fibre cable gives better Picture quality  than the 10M Comsol cable ( I compared 10M Comsol to 15M Ruipro).

Regarding the Xbox issue - it could be similar to issues I have been having with some gear like Roku  4k, and Himedia Q10 pro, where the manufacturers have programmed weird  HDMI protocols that don't always play nice with the mainstream from Japan.    I noticed the problem is worse if the gear is not directly input to the projector  but goes through  a receiver or Oppo -203 first.   So in order to  circumvent the "HDMI Guessing game" , I manually fixed the output resolution of the Oppo and fed the Roku unit into it.  It has worked - so far.

As an experiment you could try fixing the output resolution of the Marantz  to  4k.   I am guessing that if everything is set to "auto"  equipment that doesn't speak the  HDMI language very well gets a bit confused, but fixing the output of the intermediary device can make the communication happen.  It did for me anyway!

Edited by Tasso
grammar