Flattening warped records

I had a small success with placing a record (properly cleaned and in a new sleeve) between 2 pieces of flat granite I had lying around, and leaving out in the sun on a hot summer day for a few days.  Worth a try.

I meantime, anyone in Melb want to add to the SA/WA list of flattenography?

On 29/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, Maggie said:

Thought of sharing this as I came across the rather Diyed way of flattening record at someone's place few months ago.

According to my friend, the success rate of flattening the warped records is about 85%-90%.  Heating degree is 48'c for at least 5hours.

Those not terribly warped records are able to restore to its good shape  although they're not 100% flat compares with the original ones. 

I have no ideas what the heating device is , the warped record is sandwiched between the heavy tempered glass, covered with a small towel on top surface for 'toasting' as part of the heating process.

The safeness of this approach is yet to be proven 100% but I was told he's yet to destroy any flattened records so far.

Flat record.jpg

A little research tells me this is a Handbang constant temperature heating table used for mobile phone maintenance, more specifically for phone screen removal. They don't cost a real lot.?  The model above is the HP-3030 which has a perfect 30cm x 30cm heat bed. This is worthy of serious consideration!?

NB: The above link goes to a general ad for all models......you have to select the right model. HP-3030 is around $US135 + $26 postage. (about $A230). Mmmm.........

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i2/1827816175/TB278ogdvjM8KJjSZFyXXXdzVXa_!!1827816175.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Interesting, although I assume this heats up across the entire plate rather than the centre and edge like most professional record flattening machines?

40 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

What does it matter?

I'm guessing the entire plate area is heated but I'm confused as to why a dedicated LP flattener would just heat up in the centre and the edges only when a warp can affect the entire area of an LP.

So, like @Gryffles, I ask the same question......does it actually matter? I'll even go further and ask could this method be even more effective than current accepted professional methods (at a fraction of the cost).....as it will be heating/softening the entire LP surface area??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Interesting, although I assume this heats up across the entire plate rather than the centre and edge like most professional record flattening machines?

Where did you get that idea from?     picture of the bottom heating element of my Orb DF-02.  The heating element is from the spindle to the outer lip. 

PTyOHTK.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Where did you get that idea from?     picture of the bottom heating element of my Orb DF-02.  The heating element is from the spindle to the outer lip. 

Which, to me, makes perfect sense!?

• Like 1

"The grooves are not heated and therefore their sonic shape is preserved."

Sounds sort of feasible but if this is indeed a fact and not just Orb marketing speak, I guess we'll have to reassess the worth of the full 'heat plate' method......and accept that Orb actually tried a fully heated LP flattening method initially and found that heating the entire LP compromised the grooves 'sonic shape' and adversely affected the SQ.

I can't help but suspect this 'sonic shape' talk is a bit of snake oil marketing though? but the Orb works well and that's the main thing.

Edited by stevoz

1 minute ago, stevoz said:

I can't help but suspect this 'sonic shape' talk is a bit of snake oil marketing though.....?

I doubt this is marketing speak and more to do with bad Japanese/English translation. I'm sure they imply that by their heating process, groove deformation is eliminated by not heating where in fact the grooves lie on the vinyl.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Taken from the Orb “blurb”....

and don’t shoot the messenger.

0AA5021C-BB0A-4DDF-B08D-E5DCBF167110.jpeg

that is an original model and the heating element completely changed for all future models.    You also can't use the DF-01 on records without a lip supposedly.

time to upgrade Hydro  :)

from the DF-02 website:

The Disk Flutter "DF-02" is an analog disk warp correction accessory that has improved functionality and usability.

With the newly designed internal mechanism and heater, it is now compatible with flat boards (heavy boards) that have been difficult to correct warpage without damaging the sound grooves.

The material of analog discs is mainly vinyl chloride. Therefore, it is distorted by the influence of the storage method and the ambient temperature. The DF-02 semiconductor film heater uniformly corrects the entire surface of the analog disk at a temperature that does not adversely affect the analog disk, thereby correcting warpage due to aging. Also, when pressing the record, the outer circumference (groove guard) of the analog disk is pressed, so it does not affect the sound groove of the record.

The internal mechanism and heater have been newly designed to support flat panels (heavy panels) that could not be modified with DF-01.

https://www.orb.co.jp/audio/discon/df02.html

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having only this Christmas buying myself the best gift an at-lp120xusb and hunting for decent records to rebuild my collection.
I found myself in a store with some great music. What struck me most was Dark side of the Moon. So I bought it. A few hours later I was back in the area and thought I'd see if they had The wall. They did so I parted with more than I should have for it.
Anyway on the drive back to Adelaide my wife in the back of the car with bubs thought a record would make a great sun shade.
So when I unwrapped I found 2 records horribly warped. but still playable.  Still can't be good on the stylus , so I'd like to flatten them.
I have watched video showing placing the record between 2 sheets of glass and placing in a very low oven.

Has anyone done this and did it work?

In my wife's defence she didn't grow up with records so was not aware of how heat can damage them.

See attached image. Front edge and center .

Capture.JPG

Edited by Peter-E
added screen capture from video.

@Peter-E Bummer!?

My brother tried the two panes of glass method but out in the hot sun.....with regular checks. He said the glass got 'almost too hot to touch for a few seconds' at it's hottest but has had great results with no groove 'melt' damage. He had a thin piece of gloss cardboard between the vinyl and glass as well.

Others here have tried it with varying success....

All well and good if it works but fraught with danger.....I am tempted to try it as I have a few warpies but I've never had the guts to go through with it yet.

There are safer methods of course......professional record flatteners but they can be very expensive but work well without the risk. There are record flattening services as well.....good luck!

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

@Peter-E Bummer!?

My brother tried the two panes of glass method but out in the hot sun.....with regular checks. He said the glass got 'almost too hot to touch for a few seconds' at it's hottest but has had great results with no groove 'melt' damage. He had a thin piece of gloss cardboard between the vinyl and glass as well.

Others here have tried it with varying success....

All well and good if it works but fraught with danger.....I am tempted to try it as I have a few warpies but I've never had the guts to go through with it yet.

There are safer methods of course......professional record flatteners but they can be very expensive but work well without the risk. There are record flattening services as well.....good luck!

$100 for Vinyl Flat but as it's likely not too often used I'm a bit iffy of buying it

52 minutes ago, metal beat said:

If you buy new records, the Vinyl Flat will get plenty of use. 

Absolutely. I flattened 3 records today. I have just catalogued my records and had to add a section dedicated for records to be flattened.

I would say when buying brand new records I am flattening 1 in 5. Once you get the hang of it, it pays for itself. Mine has 5 times over.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kelossus said:

Absolutely. I flattened 3 records today. I have just catalogued my records and had to add a section dedicated for records to be flattened.

I would say when buying brand new records I am flattening 1 in 5. Once you get the hang of it, it pays for itself. Mine has 5 times over.

so true a great investment

18 hours ago, Peter-E said:

$100 for Vinyl Flat but as it's likely not too often used I'm a bit iffy of buying it

If you want to use it in an oven. If not, you need to add the "Groovy Pouch", the heating unit for around $70 more. Mind you, that is $US. It's still pretty cheap though all up, compared with most 'all in one' units. I forgot that the Vinyl Flat was so comparably cheap.....?

Still a lot though if you only have a few LP's to flatten but if I could afford one easily, I would buy it in a heartbeat.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1