• Volunteer

I'm going to be in the market for a new phone soonish and I'm wondering if there's a consensus as to what is a good "audio" phone. 

As an example, I see Oppo have a mobile now, do their hifi credentials carry over to their phones ?

I've assumed that this is the right forum. Apologies if it isn't

Guest Muon N'

Oppo from the ads i have seen promote the phone as a camera first, so it might have very good audio recording and output, be interesting to see some user reviews at some point.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, I have an old Samsung S4 Mimi and it sux for audio, the larger and newer Samsungs are way better than mine, tis all I have experience with.

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 and the audio is pretty good via the 3.5mm socket, but is in a different class if connected to a DAC via the supplied USB cable.

• Like 2

I've got a HTC10 which along with the more expensive LGV30 is considered top of the tree for audio.

My HTC10 is lying around doing nothing at the momemt. I"m debating wether to sell it for $300 or use it as a second phone due to the audio quality being as great as it is. 

On 09/03/2018 at 10:21 PM, PicoWattson said:

Still find the Galaxy S6 into the Dragonfly Red hard to beat, especially if you run USB Audio Player pro to enable the DF volume control.

I’ve gotta get one of these Dragonfly’s. 

Really depends on what you're going to plug into the phone

If you're running normal headphones or dynamic driver IEM, V30+ is probably amongst the best. But, for BA IEMs, those iPhone audio dongle legit has a really low output impedance at 1ish ohm. Last thing you wanna do with BA IEM is having a high output impedance source making the IEM sounds weird

On 3/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I'm going to be in the market for a new phone soonish and I'm wondering if there's a consensus as to what is a good "audio" phone. 

As an example, I see Oppo have a mobile now, do their hifi credentials carry over to their phones ?

I've assumed that this is the right forum. Apologies if it isn't

I think the Oppo who are responsible for the DVD players and the Oppo who are responsible for the phones while part of the same company are not directly related. If you know what I mean.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:01 AM, Batty said:

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 and the audio is pretty good via the 3.5mm socket, but is in a different class if connected to a DAC via the supplied USB cable.

I have had two Xperia's, currently the Z5, and the sound is very good. What is particularly useful for audio is that it plays FLAC files and has a removable mini SD. I have started to replace my IPod classic with this phone (the first time I have bothered using a phone for music storage) as my main music storage device.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crisis said:

I think the Oppo who are responsible for the DVD players and the Oppo who are responsible for the phones while part of the same company are not directly related. If you know what I mean.

I have had two Xperia's, currently the Z5, and the sound is very good. What is particularly useful for audio is that it plays FLAC files and has a removable mini SD. I have started to replace my IPod classic with this phone (the first time I have bothered using a phone for music storage) as my main music storage device.

My wife has the Oppo R9, not as good for audio as the Z5 Sony Xperia.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 15/03/2018 at 9:27 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

So as far as I can tell it seems to be a toss up between the V30+ and maybe the xperia.

Now I have to work out how to move my digital life from iPhone to Android (maybe the subject of another thread)

Which phone did you end up getting? I just got the LG G7. Pretty awesome device. Kills every iPhone I've had by a long way. Same DAC as the V30 too, which sounds really good! 

• Like 1

With usb 3, iphones deleting a headphone jack why aren't we seeing a heap of usb headphones with dac/amp etc built in?
Is there some available or on the radar?
My phone is a great source when connected to my hifi Dac via usb3 and it's plug and play :)

52 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

With usb 3, iphones deleting a headphone jack why aren't we seeing a heap of usb headphones with dac/amp etc built in?
Is there some available or on the radar?
My phone is a great source when connected to my hifi Dac via usb3 and it's plug and play :)

Because Bluetooth LDAC or Aptx is so good there wouldn't be a market for it. 

• Haha 1