The aftermath of a toddler rampage - damaged speakers and TV

So I came home from work today to find my 2yo son had let loose on our Hisense 55N7 LCD TV, and the Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers and has scratched the TV screen pretty badly and collapsed the soft dome tweeter on both the speakers :ohmy: :cry: Mummy was in the shower...

His weapon of choice (of all things) was a small remote for some LED candles that has a nasty screw head sticking out the back of it to create a nice sharp edge. The TV and speakers were less than 6 months old :mad:

See pics below. Anything at all I can do to try and salvage either? The scratches aren't all that noticeable when the TV is on. Will the tweeter domes pop out somehow? 

Now to have a strong drink and think about getting that vasectomy... 

Dynaudio_Damage1.jpg

Dynaudio_Damage2.jpg

Dynaudio_Damage3.jpg

TVDamage1.jpg

TVDamage2.jpg

Try a weak vacuum cleaner to suck the dust caps out?

I would be phoning my insurance company!

Anything you do to try and dull the scratches in the screen might make them more visible when you turn it on

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Poor kid's a bit young for a vasectomy don't you think? Still, that would learn him...

:lol: 

I guess that would save any more trouble makers being produced down the line. My folks would argue that this is Karma for me. I was a bit of a handful as a kid. LOL

Good tip on the vacuum thanks guys. Helped get them back in to shape, although there's a few little dimples left.

I cleaned the TV screen and surprisingly the scratches aren't noticeable with the TV on or off. Although put a light up close to the TV when it's off and it's horrible, but I can live with that for now.

The sound seems OK on the speakers (to my inexperienced ears), but will try a few movies and music and see if I can hear any other damage. 

TweeterFixed.jpg

Edited by Jonty
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Good tip on the vacuum thanks guys. Helped get them back in to shape, although there's a few little dimples left.

I cleaned the TV screen and surprisingly the scratches aren't noticeable with the TV on or off. Although put a light up close to the TV when it's off and it's horrible, but I can live with that for now.

The sound seems OK on the speakers (to my inexperienced ears), but will try a few movies and music and see if I can hear any other damage. 

TweeterFixed.jpg

Very gentle dabbing with sticky tape may take the dimples out. Try to use sticky tape that's not very sticky 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, caddisgeek said:

This is why we can't have nice things

probably why I got focals :P

39736358345_86cd038a6f_b.jpg

came with inverted dome drivers... pre pushed in from the factory

sailed through toddler phase with our kids, never had grills on them... the speakers that is :D 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, :) al said:

oh yeah while joking above, no way would want to loose a driver or anything ! :ohmy: 

I think mine are around $1200 or more :hiccup

My Focal's have a metal grill over the inverted tweeter. I leave all the grills on more to protect for our cleaners more than the kids.

*the missus and I both work 5-6 days a week so get a cleaner in once a fortnight

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips and humour folks. Will definitely try the tape and Plexus.

Feeling a lot better now than I was yesterday. It was a sickening sight!

It's actually my son's 3rd birthday today too. He nearly didn't make it... LOL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alistairm said:

@Jonty

Good outcome mate, that the gear is all usable. Happy birthday to the little fella. 

Thanks Alistair :)

Just doing a bit more searching on repairing scratches in LCD/LED TV's, it looks like some people have had success using these 'Magic Eraser' style melamine foam sponges. Anyone seen this work in reality?

They are pretty cheap and readily available, so I'll pick some up and try that first before buying the Plexus. Can't see it budging the deep scratches, but won't hurt to have them in the kit for cleaning up marks around the house etc. It's a pretty common occurrence with 3 kids! :wacko: