JB HIFI tvs

I don't know who Sony 'are' these days but in the past, anything I have owned with a  Sony badge has kept going and going for years.

Sony and GE and I think GE were sold out a long time ago to the Chinese.

As has been suggested, Sony 55" X9000E for a hair under $2000 (has been as low as $1550 during the November sales). Any other comparably priced LCD or QLED currently available will be worse.

If you want OLED, then either the LG B7T or Panasonic 950U can be had <$2500 in 55" (under typical usage, there are no image retention issues. "Typical usage" being the key here).

They may have the best PQ on the shelf compared to any screen.  But I won’t touch a OLED!    Normal or not normal,  unless you do a color test it’s not noticeable but! 

Note specifically on the comments on LGs policy on screen burn-in.  

You guys talk about audio burn-in....  Visual burn in is worst on a panel, the areas effected draws your eyes to it and it’s friggin gets to you!

Edited by Addicted to music

9 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

I’m paying attention - if someone explicates this ...

Sorry, I just noticed that the following is now irrelevant as OP has made choice.

Well, I could not live with an LCD television, having gotten used to Panasonic plasma and then LG OLED. I find washed out LCDs unwatchable compared with the Colour saturation and black levels on the OLEDs.

We had a Panasonic Plasma (the last model) PT55VT60, that developed a fault under warranty. We would have stayed with the plasma, which we loved, but were forced to pick a replacement TV about 18 months ago. The panasonic had fantastic black levels and the most natural picture that I had seen on a TV. The 2 negatives were that it had some pixel noise, and lowish light output., so you could not watch it in bright sunshine. We chose a 2K 55 inch LG OLED as a replacement, and are entirely satisfied with it. It has better contrast, just as good colour accuracy, and far better light output. the one area that it falls behind the plasma is in shadow detail in dark scenes.

The newer OLEDs are better than ours. Probably next Jan or the one after (boxing day sales), we will bite the bullet and get a 65" 4K OLED.

I think the image retention issue is a strawman argument. I have never seen any image retention on our screen or any screen in a store display. I am sure that to have image retention issues would imply non normal use.

I think I would summarise the argument (as I see it) for  OLED/LCD as:

OLED has a better picture quality, but you pay a lot more and the screen sizes are limited

LCD is cheaper and and you can get much bigger screen size

Edited by dcathro
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, dcathro said:

Hope he likes it.

Yep, he’s happy ... straight into netflix.

I probably should look at a bit of calibration for the sony.

I had Aaron Rigg do mine, now 7 years back ... wonder if he’s still in this caper?

23 hours ago, dcathro said:

“Sorry, I just noticed that the following is now irrelevant as OP has made choice.

The newer OLEDs are better than ours. Probably next Jan or the one after (boxing day sales), we will bite the bullet and get a 65" 4K OLED.

I think the image retention issue is a strawman argument. I have never seen any image retention on our screen or any screen in a store display. I am sure that to have image retention issues would imply non normal use.

I think I would summarise the argument (as I see it) for  OLED/LCD as:

OLED has a better picture quality, but you pay a lot more and the screen sizes are limited

LCD is cheaper and and you can get much bigger screen size”

I’ll head into this territory at some point in the next year or so - replace the current Loewe led hd with Loewe oled uhd & step up to 65+”.

On 04/03/2018 at 2:25 PM, Addicted to music said:

But I won’t touch a OLED!

Mate you're pandering to scare mongering in a way here... with normal usage, burn in won't happen. It didn't with plasma and won't with OLED... in fact OLED panels have more systems in place to prevent it than plasma ever did.

http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

The warranty thing is US... LG can't get around ACL.

The extreme burn in test I posted in the OLED thread is for general interest rather than a warning not to purchase one. They are driving the panels insanely hard for long periods of time to be able to generate burn in... so a caveat there is a must.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JSmith said:

Mate you're pandering to scare mongering in a way here... with normal usage, burn in won't happen. It didn't with plasma and won't with OLED... in fact OLED panels have more systems in place to prevent it than plasma ever did.

http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

The warranty thing is US... LG can't get around ACL.

The extreme burn in test I posted in the OLED thread is for general interest rather than a warning not to purchase one. They are driving the panels insanely hard for long periods of time to be able to generate burn in... so a caveat there is a must.

JSmith :ninja:

Yep guilty as charged.

yes it does and has happen to a lot of plasmas/ CRT screens with image retention  I’ve laid my eyes on and I’m just sick of the BS that manufactures are claiming.   Good luck trying to claim warranty with that policy here.

I have a problem paying mega $$ on a products with short life span, I’m right into consistance, endurance and energy efficient, this is where my $$ are going and if I had to pay for a panel it definately won’t be OLED.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:02 AM, Sime said:

Only issue with OLED is image retention and burn in, but apart from that……………

Those two issues can be controlled if paying attention. 

There are no issues with retention and burn in. The LG will cycle through a refresh protocol everytime it's switched off. We have OLEDs running all day everyday for weeks on end and no retention or burn in is apparent.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 4:48 PM, jamesg11 said:

The Sony 9000 55” is now in son’s abode.

Gentlemen, thanks for assistance. Appreciated.

Great choice. Thank God you didn't get that awful Samsung... The Kim Kardashian of TV brands! ha ha.

2 hours ago, unclemack said:

There are no issues with retention and burn in. The LG will cycle through a refresh protocol everytime it's switched off. We have OLEDs running all day everyday for weeks on end and no retention or burn in is apparent.

Really?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

check out the results over 24wks!