Sign in to follow this  
jamesg11

JB HIFI tvs

Today’s list of JB HiFi tv - #1 son has wedding gift voucher there ...

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/?p=1&s=releaseDate&sd=2&fc=*_sATTRIB-2138_s%3A%3AUltra HD%3B&fr=*_fATTRIB-2075_f%3A%3Aminvs%2451%3Dmaxvs%2460%3Dminvp%2443%3Dmaxvp%2485%3B&mf=*_fATTRIB-2075_f&fm=false

What’s best of this ~55” lot?

(no, not the $4k one).

Edited by jamesg11

Not the LG one or any LG UHD due to their use of IPS screen technology.  Maybe a Samsung model within budget or the Hisense 55N7 which uses a Samsung panel or I have heard a few good things about the TCL 55X2US (not the C or P).

What's your budget if it's not $4k?

Edited by womble66

You’ll have to get off your behind that will do a world of good, walk into a JB HIFI store and check them out.... :na:

the wsy technology is going I wouldn’t pay $1500.. :)

If I was going to spend this much on a new TV, I would get the biggest size model I can. They look quite big at the start but you get used to the size very quickly.

Something like this one maybe

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x6700e-70-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-led-lcd-tv/551846/

Edited by rocky500

28 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I would get the biggest size model I can

Agree but with that budget I would stop at the 65" in favour of nearly the best picture money can buy for <$2.5K rather than going to the 75" lower spec unit.

44 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Budget max $2.5k.

Agree with @rocky500 being get a Sony but the X8500E as a minimum rather than the extra 10" for the base model X6700E

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x8500e-65-4k-uhd-hdr-android-smart-led-lcd-tv/453468/

Edited by womble66

Thanks for these thoughts.

Reason for 55” is space in rental accomodation & can’t put on a wall etc - so definitely after best picture quality in a uhd in that sizing.

I made him measure up for the biggest size possible!

Maybe then the Sony x8500e? -

But this is an edge led - is there a back led in this lot, which has what other necessaries ...?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x8500e-55-4k-uhd-hdr-android-smart-led-lcd-tv/453465/

Edited by jamesg11

Guest Sime

The Sony x9000e, no question, one of the better and most popular tv’s of 2017, and I’ve got one, good Telly. 

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

The Sony x9000e, no question, one of the better and most popular tv’s of 2017, and I’ve got one, good Telly. 

Yep, thanks Sime, this be the one then.

Dissenters?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x9000e-55-4k-uhd-hdr-android-smart-led-lcd-tv/453466/

Why not the 55" LG OLED?

18 minutes ago, dcathro said:

Why not the 55" LG OLED?

I’m paying attention - if someone explicates this ...

Guest Sime

Only issue with OLED is image retention and burn in, but apart from that……………

Those two issues can be controlled if paying attention. 

11 minutes ago, Sime said:

Only issue with OLED is image retention and burn in, but apart from that……………

Those two issues can be controlled if paying attention. 

One of the the biggest let down in oled

Ive seen it somewhere, if an OLED panel has screen retention issues LG in particular will not replaced the panel under warranty.  That said most, if not all manufacturers will have this stand!

Edited by Addicted to music

Really? Every time I look at tellys at Hardly Normal or JB, the OLED always looked the best.

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Really? Every time I look at tellys at Hardly Normal or JB, the OLED always looked the best.

Do a colour test and it will show up, don't buy it.

@Darren69

ive seen some even worst,  do a search on LG OLED image retention and you'll see it's very real.  LG will not replaced under warranty, therefore point of sale will not replaced either.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

+1 for the x9000e, after an intense look at the TVs at the price point and considering my usage, the Sony x9000e in 65" was the one I chose and happy I did. I am sure that in the 55" size the result would have been the same.

Guest Sime

@Darren69 well they are the best you can buy, but like life, they have issues :blush:

Guest Sime

There’s a Samsung Q7 in the house where I’m parked at, and it’s goooood. 

Edited by Sime

We recently went from a plasma to an OLED (LG C7), and have been very happy with the Tv. The picture quality with HD source  is frankly amazing.

i would not have touched LG with a 10’ barge pole traditionally, but the reputation of this tv’s picture quality coupled with the price made the equation too hard to deny.

We have not seen any image retention issues on our set, I think if you are careful in the first few months and don’t pump up the settings to high, you can mitigate negative issues like this.

i haven’t truly seen an led with an image I have liked, but the OLED have truly excellent picture quality in my experience. I actually wanted to buy a Panasonic OLED at the time but the stutter issues and lack of Dolby Vision were a deterrent. Apparently the stutter issues on the Panasonic may be resolved. So that may be an option. I would buy either the lG or Panasonic OLED followed by Sony 9000 or 9300. Note the LG B7 has been as low as $1800 so that price isn’t great.

Guest Sime

Sony are releasing a more sensible version of the A1 this year without that stupid stand it had, I’ll be getting that one hopefully.