AV pre pro vs AVR

7 hours ago, Serpeant said:

Are there any stand out Power Amps out there that you could keep for life so all you need is a new pre?

Just now, Serpeant said:

Under $5k.

like quark, am running elektra theatre hd in my case. have absolutely no intent to ever replace. have owned elektra for going on 13 years,  just no need to replace. great world class amps that will go for years. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serpeant said:

Under $5k.

I prefer to stick with an internationally recognised Brand.

Theres a few factors to assist members to narrow it down somewhat Serpeant ; the efficiency and ohm rating [how hard it is to drive] of your speakers ; the type of amp ie class A; A/B ;G;H or D you prefer ; even if you require a fully differential amp or single ended like most ? The efficiency of each class of amp [ watts needed to run ] is from average to good in the same sequence as mentioned ie class A; lowest A/B ;G;H or D; highest.

Class A though inefficient is highly sought after due to its non switching circuit design so  its not an easy choice ..As an example if you want class D efficiency I would have a close look at wyred4sound at  deep hz . You could even get a couple or more sx500 monoblocks with a multichannel mc7150 for under 5k ..How many boxes- channels- do you need ?

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Wyred 4 sound Price Page Australia.html

I too regard my Elektra hd to be the cornerstone of my system :) its THD and s/n ratio is second only to a hd2 :aww:

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

Another vote of confidence for Elektra after well over a decade of faithful service from the brand I would find it diffult to look elsewhere for powerful,stable low distortion amplification let alone at the price.