Vinyl Ripping

Hello everyone,

after purchasing a Project record cleaner I have been busy cleaning my records and I must say I've been getting some

amazing results.  I've started to think about ripping some of my favourite tracks into HD files rather than red book cd

can I ask what some of you are using to rip your vinyl ?

thanks

Brian

I am about to start using an Alesis ML9600 Masterlink. If anyone is familiar with using this ADC they are welcome to initiate me into it's intricacies and rip some of your own vinyl as well of course. Otherwise I'll just step my way through the 196 page manual. :huh:

Edited by PicoWattson

• 2 weeks later...

I run the output from my phono stage into a homebrew line attenuator using a 100k Tocos Cosmos log pot into a external USB SB1240 sound card.  Capture with Audacity and exported as a WAV file. Use Click Repair to clean it up then split and convert, add tag information etc. I'm getting very good results though it is time consuming. 

I'm considering getting a Sugarcube SC-2 to do the lot. Pricey though.

51 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

Has anyone tried the Schiit JIL? It looks pretty good from the value equation, as does a lot of Schiit gear.

I was going to ask the same.   It'd be about $320 AUD landed 

Guest Muon N'

I was more basic than most it appears.

Sansui > Phono Stage > 2xRCA to 3.5mm stereo plug > Line In on the PC > recorded with Audacity.

Never needed de-clickers or noise filtering as everything was set up well and stylus and records were clean and undamaged. Audacity recording levels were adjusted for the input signal as default was too hot.

Not wanting to de-rail the topic but why all the interest in digitising vinyl? Is it about accessing music whilst in the go or are folks decommissioning turntable rigs once the source material is digital?

I rip to a HiMD minidisk in lossless mode.  I've been disappointed with the quality, it appears to add artifacts and I wonder if it really records in true lossless.  But it's what I have, and would like to upgrade to more modern technology when I can find a bargain that's easy to use. 

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Not wanting to de-rail the topic but why all the interest in digitising vinyl? Is it about accessing music whilst in the go or are folks decommissioning turntable rigs once the source material is digital?

Four reasons for me:

1.  So I can transfer the music to a USB so I can listen on my car stereo.  The limitations of my current ripping system are not very apparent in that environment.

2.  So I can digitally clean up the sound of some of my 78's.

3.  To burn an LP to a CD for my elderly father in law who no longer wants to play records, but wants to listen to the music on his records (some which can't be easily bought on CD). 

4.  To record a badly damaged disks, so I don't have to play it any more (to protect styli and so I can do some digital corrections). 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 11:41 AM, Ugly said:

I was going to ask the same.   It'd be about $320 AUD landed 

Where from? Everywhere I've found it listed is about $400 or more. 

With respect to vinyl rips,  they take on the character of your analog chain.  My rips sound more open and smooth and richer sounding than music ripped from CD. The difference is noticeable even vs Hi-Res content. 

Edited by MattyW
  • Love 1

Where from? Everywhere I've found it listed is about $400 or more. 

With respect to vinyl rips,  they take on the character of your analog chain.  My rips sound more open and smooth and richer sounding than music ripped from CD. The difference is noticeable even vs Hi-Res content. 
Direct from Schiit USA

Guest Muon N'
55 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Good to know. I assumed that the onboard would struggle

Had no issues, was realtec on-board audio on an now old PC. Motherboard is a Gigabyte X38-DS4. CPU Intel Xeon 3110 and 4 GB RAM.