Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy8

Good summary room correction software

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

https://hometheaterreview.com/room-correction-revisited/

Good, up to date (Sep 17) summary of the various room correction software. Dirac and Anthem Room Correction (ARC) rated the best. 

Good find ; and accurate too Snoopy :) I note he was comparing the current version of dirac live ; the new algorithm coming is even better and more intuitive to use . ARC is also improving since the 1st versions ; its good to offload the processing to a pc or elsewhere ;) 

He makes a good point about atmos etc ; some room eq's don't have the dsp horsepower to handle the height channels and just treat the bed ones.

Not aware of any retailer (but happy to be corrected!) that has set up room correction in their listening room, cannot do listening comparison. Also, not many side by side comparisons online, and likely old. This is summary is the next best thing, fair and detailed enough for someone to do a "paper" comparison.

Have been using ARC for movies & multi channel music for quite some time. Researched, but did not trial Dirac Live for 2 channel; my bass problems were solved by using well integrated dual subs. The author mentioned using a carefully constructed target curve that closely follows the natural speaker response in the room within Dirac Live.  Interesting, but maybe too much work?

Now understand the grumbles about Audyssey for music, but Audyssey users welcome to challenge this assertion.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have been using ARC for movies & multi channel music for quite some time. Researched, but did not trial Dirac Live for 2 channel; my bass problems were solved by using well integrated dual subs. The author mentioned using a carefully constructed target curve that closely follows the natural speaker response in the room within Dirac Live.  Interesting, but maybe too much work?

Yes ; the current version is more complicated Snoopy ; Flavio [who works for Dirac] lists the improvements and simplification /guidance of the new version :)

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37813-new-second-generation-dirac-live/

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not aware of any retailer (but happy to be corrected!) that has set up room correction in their listening room, cannot do listening comparison. Also, not many side by side comparisons online, and likely old. This is summary is the next best thing, fair and detailed enough for someone to do a "paper" comparison.

Now understand the grumbles about Audyssey for music, but Audyssey users welcome to challenge this assertion.

Yes, I’ve asked several retailers if theyve ran room correction (shopping for new AV receiver ATM), and also said 5hey haven’t, pleading too many changes being made.

strikes me as odd.

15 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good, up to date (Sep 17) summary of the various room correction software. Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction (ARC) rated the best. 

Thanks for that - it looks great and even mentions new Audyssey app. For those interested you can lookup it up in the app/play store to see if your receiver is compatible. From memory everything from a Marantz 5011 up and newer is covered.

7 hours ago, Gridmon said:

Yes, I’ve asked several retailers if theyve ran room correction (shopping for new AV receiver ATM), and also said 5hey haven’t, pleading too many changes being made.

strikes me as odd.

3 brands plus 3 sets of speakers, that is 9 standard runs, no tweaking. Multiply by a few rooms, speakers being moved, swapped and it becomes too hard for the retailer..

Nevertheless, a savvy retailer should do one for their favorite setup to show people what can be done.

Lifestyle store do run room correction especially in the comparison rooms but yes things get moved around a lot.

23 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good, up to date (Sep 17) summary of the various room correction software. Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction (ARC) rated the best. 

Unless I've missed it, they completely fail to mention Acourate (which IMHO is up there as probably the best of the lot)

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Unless I've missed it, they completely fail to mention Acourate (which IMHO is up there as probably the best of the lot)

Was waiting for someone to bring this up!  :lol:  Different but very effective approach, has a few fans here... 

20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Was waiting for someone to bring this up!  :lol:  Different but very effective approach, has a few fans here... 

How is the approach different?

its a lot more complex than say, Dirac, but ultimately you measure your room, apply a target curve and away you go 

3 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

How is the approach different?

its a lot more complex than say, Dirac, but ultimately you measure your room, apply a target curve and away you go 

By different, I mean using a PC and convolver approach... 

37 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

By different, I mean using a PC and convolver approach... 

same as Dirac innit?

13 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

same as Dirac innit?

Going to have to defer this to others who know more...

11 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Going to have to defer this to others who know more...

Dirac has a very slick interface and is much easier to use than Acourate. 

But in the background, both of them take your room measurements and run convolution on them. They each have their own proprietary way of doing the convolution but essentially they do the same thing 

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Well the assertion should be that Audyssey was never designed for music. They do offer a "flat" curve that some manufacturers call the music curve, but you have to "season it to taste" by making your own adjustments. I haven't read the article as 1; I ain't changing what I've got and 2; I don't listen to music in my HT room/system

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

same as Dirac innit?

I think the gist of the article was for non pc room eq's to be evaluated for good or bad as that covers a much broader field than the smaller pc niche .. Understandable too as the emergence of atmos/dts-x means room treatment for more than 7.1 is necessary ..Luckily Dirac falls into that category too as it uniquely does both :)

Even REW is available from Emo in the XMC1  so you  get a choice of 2 solutions .

Edited by cwt

On 2/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Dirac has a very slick interface and is much easier to use than Acourate. 

But in the background, both of them take your room measurements and run convolution on them. They each have their own proprietary way of doing the convolution but essentially they do the same thing 

As you would know, the major weakness of Dirac is that you need to use its own convolver. Acourate lets you export convolution files so that you can use any convolver on the market. 

2 hours ago, Keith_W said:

As you would know, the major weakness of Dirac is that you need to use its own convolver. Acourate lets you export convolution files so that you can use any convolver on the market. 

Indeed, and that's a real pity because it really is so easy to use