ThirdDrawerDown

Another Maggie Tympani-1D rebuild thread

@Point source a few specs and a bit of history of the Jardis might assist here.

the Jardis isn’t a 2 watt SET AMP

@andyr

I cant help but think that your choice of valve on the pre stage is about coloring the sound as distinct from seeking an accurate reproduction.

That should not be interpreted as a negative either. Some might say that the valve sound is as close to the original as you can get.

@djb

Some specs would be helpful.

Suddenly I no longer feel like a n00b. I have some considerable experience of the exploration of Zin.

Usually we spell it differently.

2 hours ago, djb said:

Zout should not cause a problem with the Zin of the ss power amp.

Correct!  :thumb:  And that's where a tube pre can have problems with some ss power amps.

An ss pre never has a problem (in terms of Zout/Zin) with a tube power amp!

2 hours ago, djb said:

Andy TDD  and I suspect others understand the Yin and the Yang of this but the metaphysical nature of Zin as it interacts with Zout might require a deeper explanation.

No metaphysics - or even physics!  😄  Just simple arithmetic!  (Zin is the load ... Zout is the feed; the load needs to be at least 10x the feed - 50x is better.  Same principle as loading carts - I ran my Benz LP at 100x the coil impedance.)

Andy

1 hour ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Suddenly I no longer feel like a n00b. I have some considerable experience of the exploration of Zin.

Usually we spell it differently.

Haha - very sly!  (Did you ever read "Zin and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?  😄 )

Andy

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ghost4man said:

@andyr

I cant help but think that your choice of valve on the pre stage is about coloring the sound as distinct from seeking an accurate reproduction.

That should not be interpreted as a negative either. Some might say that the valve sound is as close to the original as you can get.

I'm coming from the experiments of simply listening to the sound coming direct from the ss (gain) part of the preamp vs. having passed through the tube output buffer:

• highs sounded better coming from the tube - they were a bit too lean, fed from the ss (gain) part of the preamp.
  • lows sounded better not going through the tube - you got better bass transient response, direct from the ss (gain) stage.  IOW, the tube softened the transients very slightly.

So I fed my mid & ribbon power amps from the tube output ... and the bass panels (and then the subs) from the ss output.  I've adopted the same concept in my latest system iteration:

• the preamp is gone
  • so I now feed signal into the digital input of my miniDSP, instead of the analogue input
  • and my volume control is after the miniDSP, just before my 8 power amp channels
  • with the same unity-gain tube buffer that I had in my preamp, on the 4 mid and ribbon channels.

You're very welcome to have a listen, to hear for yourself how good it sounds, if you're coming down for the HiFi Show.  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

I can attest to Andy's stereo now having a good depth of soundstage where, a year ago, to my untutored ear it had little depth (but many other virtues, I hasten to add).

Meantime I continue to worry about T-1Ds amplification using the Cary 120S. It is a very good amplifier but 3 panels per side could be quite demanding. I do plan on running the signal through miniDSP anyway, to split the very low Hz into a couple of subwoofers.  It might be a "suck it and see"

People more knowledgeable than me have said - it'll be OK, or, you'll need a new amp or more amps.

Now that the design fault in the Cary 120S has been fixed, I trust it unreservedly and want to keep it. 

Will the Cary 120S do the job for T1-Ds?

Circuit Type Class AB, push-pull amplifier, Ultralinear or Triode mode operation with a front panel selector switch
Power Output Ultralinear – 120 watts per channel
Triode – 60 watts per channel
Inputs XLR balanced or RCA single-ended
Noise and Hum -80 dB
Input Impedance 100K both RCA and Balanced
Frequency Response 17 Hz – 25 KHz flat @ 1 watt
Tubes 2 – 6SN7 input gain stage
2 – 6SN7 driver tubes
8 – KT 88 output tubes
Power Transformer EI High voltage & bias supply EI laminate
Output Transformer(s) Special bifilar wound 150 watt rating unit in each channel
Gain 28 dB
Sensitivity 1.24v
Power Supply Capacitors 4 x 560µF

AC Cord 3 Conductor Shielded, Detachable
AC Power Requirements 117 VAC @ 50/60 Hz
234 VAC @ 50/60 Hz

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I can attest to Andy's stereo now having a good depth of soundstage where, a year ago, to my untutored ear it had little depth (but many other virtues, I hasten to add).

Thank you, Murray.  :thumb:  Yes, I'm pleased with the effect of the diffusion panels (aka "wall art"!  :) ).

Meantime I continue to worry about T-1Ds amplification using the Cary 120S. It is a very good amplifier but 3 panels per side could be quite demanding. I do plan on running the signal through miniDSP anyway, to split the very low Hz into a couple of subwoofers.  It might be a "suck it and see"

People more knowledgeable than me have said - it'll be OK, or, you'll need a new amp or more amps.

Now that the design fault in the Cary 120S has been fixed, I trust it unreservedly and want to keep it. 

Will the Cary 120S do the job for T1-Ds?

Circuit Type Class AB, push-pull amplifier, Ultralinear or Triode mode operation with a front panel selector switch
Power Output Ultralinear – 120 watts per channel
Triode – 60 watts per channel

Given Brian's Jadis performs so well on his T-IVs, I suggest your Cary - in 120w Ultralinear mode, anyway - will deliver a good result.  Particularly if you are going to use a miniDSP to roll off the lowest frequencies on the T-1D bass panels and hand over to a pair of subs.

Given you will have a pair of subs ... I'm supposing you'll have them arranged symmetrically - ie. one near to each set of Maggie panels?  In which case, "LF localisation" is not an issue and you could put the XO point as high as I have it (100Hz).  This will relieve the Cary from being drained by heavy currents to the bass panels (the lower the HP roll-off point, the more current the bass panels will consume!) ... so (at 100Hz) I suspect it will be able to drive the remaining frequencies on your T-1Ds quite comfortably.

Andy

Edited by andyr