IMF Super Compact setup issues

Howdy

I just bought some IMF Super Compacts hoping to upgrade from the Celestion Ditton 15s I have, plugged them into my amp (Sansui AU-555A) and ... they sound pretty average. Muffled and somewhat 'distant'. Heavy on the bass, but still can go loud. Sounds almost like live music, if that makes sense.

Previous owner claims to have recapped and adjusted crossovers, so before I go back to them with a gripe I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with my setup? Is the amp too low power? It's at the low end of the scale but to the best of my knowledge still within the recommended power range.

Any ideas what's going on, or what I can do?

Cheers,

Lee

(Yes, of course I bought them off ebay)

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

Change the polarity or phase reversal and see what it sounds like

I tried switching round the black/red speaker cables, also tried different speaker outputs at the amp, and tried different sources. Nothing helped. (if that's what you mean)

There could be various possibilities. The 25w amp hasn’t got enough juice to drive them properly or it’s just a bad match. The tweeters may be down in intensity due voice coil ferrofluid tarring up and solidified.

Have you got a more powerful to drive them. 

Also check inside speakers to see if polarity to drivers is matched and have not been put in reverse polarity during refurbish. Put your ears close to each driver and gauge if same intensity is coming out.

Edited by Al.M

I posted here and got to the bottom of it - basically the 'refurbishment' was a coat of paint - right over the drivers!

Here is the original listing: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IMF-SUPER-COMPACT-SPEAKERS-/122954540848?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1SmmxjoGq96zGOCu154i%2Fod57I0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557