Sony KDL60W850B vs Hisense 65N6

I currently have a Sony 60" KDL60W850B, its a great Tv and have had it as our main TV for about 2 years or so. Beings used for Netflix (4K Apple TV), Foxtel and Blurays. Haven't really be planning on upgrading but would love to have 4K. Anyway a friend of mine purchased a Hisense 65N6 for his renovated room, but its taking longer then expected to build and he has changed his plans for it. So he has offered me the 65N6 new in the box for a ridiculously low price.

So if I was to buy it, it would replace the Sony in the media room, and the Sony would be moved to the master bedroom. I love the Sony, it has 3D, although we don't really watch 3D that often. What is the 65N6 like compared to my Sony? Am I going to regret changing? On paper it looks good, 4K, HDR, and 65" instead of my 60". But I don't want a reduction in PQ going a cheaper brand. Cheers.

I can't comment on the 65N6 however bought a new 65N7 for $1595 on the weekend and happy with this purchase.

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP507 Plasma that I've had since new so can only compare to that. On standard definition FTA material the Hisense PQ is not as good as the 11 y/o Pioneer, however on HD and UHD (4K) the N7 is excellent. For the price, the quality and feature set of the N7 is seriously good. 

EDIT- the Pioneer 507 cost me $5700 back in 2007 and continues to be used every day. Love the Kuro, but the features, quality and low price of these current big screen TV's is terrific.

Edited by lebowski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lebowski said:

I can't comment on the 65N6 however bought a new 65N7 for $1595 on the weekend and happy with this purchase.

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP507 Plasma that I've had since new so can only compare to that. On standard definition FTA material the Hisense PQ is not as good as the 11 y/o Pioneer, however on HD and UHD (4K) the N7 is excellent. For the price, the quality and feature set of the N7 is seriously good. 

EDIT- the Pioneer 507 cost me $5700 back in 2007 and continues to be used every day. Love the Kuro, but the features, quality and low price of these current big screen TV's is terrific.

The Hisense 65N7 is the very set I've being thinking seriously about if (when?) my Kuro in the living room turns turtle.  I have the 508 XDA (50 inch native 720P) set which I bought back in late 2007 for $4400.  It's still going strong though so I can't justify replacing it.  It's heartening to hear first hand evidence that a MUCH bigger and MUCH cheaper 4K set like the Hisense stacks up so well against it.

As for comparisons between the 65N6 and the 65N7, I can't help either.  But most of the big box movers would have both models to compare. 

10 hours ago, brumby said:

The Hisense 65N7 is the very set I've being thinking seriously about if (when?) my Kuro in the living room turns turtle.  I have the 508 XDA (50 inch native 720P) set which I bought back in late 2007 for $4400.  It's still going strong though so I can't justify replacing it.  It's heartening to hear first hand evidence that a MUCH bigger and MUCH cheaper 4K set like the Hisense stacks up so well against it.

As for comparisons between the 65N6 and the 65N7, I can't help either.  But most of the big box movers would have both models to compare. 

I think you'd be happy with the Hisense if your main viewing was HD or UHD, however it is no match for the Pioneer on SD.

On UHD 4K the Hisense is impressive and I'm sure many brand snobs would give it a nod. I should know as I used to be one of them ?

If my Kuro karked it tomorrow, I probably would buy the Hisense.  But hopefully it will keep going for another year or three, by which time the OLEDs should be firmly in the "mainstream" (I hear that Hisense is coming out with their own version this year) and prices will have headed further south.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a big sony from a couple of years ago [good picture] and a recently purchased 55 inch hisense - pic is very average on sd but great on hd and 4k and the software in it is fantastic for YouTube netflix and navigation - leaves the sony for dead.  in fact for many months i was blaming my internet provider for the poor performance of the sony on youtube and netflix etc but guess what - after i got the hisense netflix and the rest of it comes up instantly while the sony is siting there in 120i or showing a spinning disc......hopeless

Edited by potatomasher