TWO WAY SPEAKERS ARE REALLY NOT VERY GOOD.

@cheekyboy  Keith, I'm so blown away by the quality of your BR1 speakers....the sound is simply captivating. The BR3s must be really something special....someday I hope to hear a pair.

It's a real shame that Wyndham Audio's speakers are not better known on SNA, they are the equal (or better) than anything from overseas that I've heard, at or well above their price point.

Well done, Keith and Dave.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MusicOne said:

@cheekyboy  Keith, I'm so blown away by the quality of your BR1 speakers....the sound is simply captivating. The BR3s must be really something special....someday I hope to hear a pair.

It's a real shame that Wyndham Audio's speakers are not better known on SNA, they are the equal (or better) than anything from overseas that I've heard, at or well above their price point.

Well done, Keith and Dave.

The BR3s are truly something special indeed, but your two way BR1s are also something really special and I agree, it would be great if our loudspeakers were better known. We're trying though, we're here, we're sponsors on SNA and I'm always doing my best to get the message out there about how good they are and confirmation from actual owners like yourself is much appreciated.

This thread is about two way speakers not being very good and I disagree with the OP's remarks in that regard and at least with our BR1s, that thinking is demonstrably not correct. 

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

The BR3s are truly something special indeed, but your two way BR1s are also something really special and I agree, it would be great if our loudspeakers were better known. We're trying though, we're here, we're sponsors on SNA and I'm always doing my best to get the message out there about how good they are and confirmation from actual owners like yourself is much appreciated.

This thread is about two way speakers not being very good and I disagree with the OP's remarks in that regard and at least with our BR1s, that thinking is demonstrably not correct. 

Cheers,

Keith

I also disagree and I'm sure many more two way speaker owners also disagree with the OP's remarks. Having heard many excellent two way speakers I would suggest it is a case of have a listen yourself rather than take views on various forums as the absolute truth.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PKay said:

I also disagree and I'm sure many more two way speaker owners also disagree with the OP's remarks. Having heard many excellent two way speakers I would suggest it is a case of have a listen yourself rather than take views on various forums as the absolute truth.

What, PKay, are you suggesting that a lot of what you read on these forums isn't the truth?:lol:

Seriously though, that broad statement that 'two way speakers are really not very good' is either made to deliberately stir, or it shows a lack of understanding of what actually constitutes a good sounding loudspeaker. 'Not really very good,' comes down to far more than simply being a two way, three way or even a one way for that matter.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

This thread is about two way speakers not being very good and I disagree with the OP's remarks

It's the old adage init ... all generalisations are wrong.

Two-way speakers present some challenges .... don't allow very much/any pattern control in the couple of octaves above the room.

.... but that doesn't mean that none of them are good.   Moving to some other arrangement of speaker, can pose just as many challenges, or be stuffed up just as easily as a two-way.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, PKay said:

Front ported as well, I can't understand why there aren't more front ported speakers.

I agree, it just makes sense, whether it's a floorstander or a standmount and it's a bass reflex design, to put the port vent on the front of the enclosure. Regardless of the room size, it is always going to be easier to locate a front ported loudspeaker.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

What Troels Gravesen has to say-

"What you get here is something rarely seen in commercial speakers, a 7+4+1. The vital 4" midrange driver bridging the gap between bass and tweeter. That's not to say the 6+1 or 7+1 cannot be made very well, it surely can, but it doesn't compare to the real thing of paying attention to the troublesome upper-mid/lower-treble. The transition from a 6-7" midbass to the 25-28 mm tweeter is a compromise. "

47 minutes ago, THOMO said:

What Troels Gravesen has to say-

"What you get here is something rarely seen in commercial speakers, a 7+4+1. The vital 4" midrange driver bridging the gap between bass and tweeter. That's not to say the 6+1 or 7+1 cannot be made very well, it surely can, but it doesn't compare to the real thing of paying attention to the troublesome upper-mid/lower-treble. The transition from a 6-7" midbass to the 25-28 mm tweeter is a compromise. "

I read that with the voice of the seargent out of cool hand Luke 

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

"What you get here is something rarely seen in commercial speakers, a 7+4+1

One issue using a 4+1 is that (unless you put the 4 and the 1 in a waveguide/horn) you lose the ability to have a coverage pattern which is anything but wide.....  and more directivity can be very advantageous in a small room.

14 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

One issue using a 4+1 is that (unless you put the 4 and the 1 in a waveguide/horn) you lose the ability to have a coverage pattern which is anything but wide.....  and more directivity can be very advantageous in a small room.

Yes that makes sense.People are probably less likely to use a three way in a small room I suppose.

The design Troels is talking about is the Ekta Mk 2 .

First I want to point out I read 2 pages in and skipped to the end. I can't talk from a measurements perspective but Rob's old Lenehan ML2s sitting in front of me now don't sound "fudged" in the bass and is very good (though not perfect without a sub for the bottom 15-35hz range) but the midrange is the BEST feature about them, so I find it strange the consensus that 2 way suck in this respect. The ML3's sitting next to them are even BETTER in the midrange and miles better bass wise, but then it is an 8" 2way floor stander, not a monitor..

• 2 months later...