What are the most annoying sounds in audio/high fidelity?

G'day all, this morning having a quick nap after breakfast in my bedroom and listening to ABC Classic FM on my bedroom system, normally I get a good full quieting FM signal on my receiver which sounds superb on that system, but this morning the signal wasn't perfect, giving me some noticeable roughness/distortion which on FM can sound quite grating and irritating!  Well that's one annoying sound at least, any others?  Regards, Felix. 

I've had multichannel (Dolby 5.1) audio accidentaly go through stereo (at low volume luckily). Hard to think of anything more annoying - white noise-ish but very metallic sounding (Metallica!? :lol: -  for full disclosure, I've had my fair share of Metallica in highschool years, and am still a bit of a fan I guess)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catman said:

G'day all, this morning having a quick nap after breakfast in my bedroom and listening to ABC Classic FM on my bedroom system, normally I get a good full quieting FM signal on my receiver which sounds superb on that system, but this morning the signal wasn't perfect, giving me some noticeable roughness/distortion which on FM can sound quite grating and irritating!  Well that's one annoying sound at least, any others?  Regards, Felix. 

Common at my location when trying to get RN.  I get it through the Net now for much better sound all 'round.

For me, scratches, followed by sibilance (but I don't get much at all of either:thumb:).....

20 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

The ' boss ' sticking her head in saying " BORING "  when i'm chilling with YES.

I used to get that a bit, especially with Yes......then she left, so now I get to play what I want, when I want and at whatever volume I want. It's great!:lol:

• Like 2

• Digital clipping - esp. lots of it.
  • Brickwalled CD mastering.
  • The sounds of silence coming from one channel and the other working fine, when the last time the stereo system was enjoyed with both channels working perfectly.
  • The sound of a stylus scratching a pristine record.
  • The sound of next door's dog/the cockatoos/the cicadas/etc. when I'm absorbed in a sublime musical experience.
  • Like 2

Guest Muon N'

Hmm...much has been covered...

High volumes levels on a system that can't do it without sounding like a banshie on heat.

Edited by Muon N'
't makes a lot of difference.