Pass Amp Camp Amp

nzlowie

Haven't got a case for it. Btw what's the heatsink requirements? wondering if I can get away using a large aluminium chassis and use it as a heat spreader considering it's only 5 watt output
Larger than you would think. I don't remember off hand but can measure them when I'm home tonight if you like?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Upfront said:
2 hours ago, mloutfie said:
Haven't got a case for it. Btw what's the heatsink requirements? wondering if I can get away using a large aluminium chassis and use it as a heat spreader considering it's only 5 watt output

Larger than you would think. I don't remember off hand but can measure them when I'm home tonight if you like?

Yes please I would need to get some extra heatsink if that's the case

Final update on this post.... we all know how good the Weston products are but sorry Earl the Topaz is unplugged! In this configuration with the Pass amps and active xover it just sounds so bloody good!
So until I go back to a conventional passive speaker the Pass amps are here to stay.

• Like 2

Guest scumbag
7 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

Final update on this post.... we all know how good the Weston products are but sorry Earl the Topaz is unplugged! In this configuration with the Pass amps and active xover it just sounds so bloody good!
So until I go back to a conventional passive speaker the Pass amps are here to stay.

Class A all the way.

• 1 month later...

What's the audio quality of these like? I have an Emotiva XPA5 amp I use for my home theatre, but it's noisy as hell. I got a Halcro 3 channel amp and I was thinking to use that for the front 3 channels. I have a very high end audio processor (Bryston SP3). Using Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers which are ok, but nothing spectacular. Are these Amp Camp amps reasonable quality for the rear and side speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? 

It's around A$1000 for two. Is that the equivalent or better than a $1000 5 channel amp (probably a used one)? Or is the attraction of these more that they're DIY?

Also, looks like you can get them as mono amps or stereo amps. Is it one or the other or can you switch between (thinking to use them now at 5.1, but stereo when I go 7.1). Anyone know?

Edited by wfdTamar

Guest scumbag
14 minutes ago, wfdTamar said:

What's the audio quality of these like? I have an Emotiva XPA5 amp I use for my home theatre, but it's noisy as hell. I got a Halcro 3 channel amp and I was thinking to use that for the front 3 channels. I have a very high end audio processor (Bryston SP3). Using Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers which are ok, but nothing spectacular. Are these Amp Camp amps reasonable quality for the rear and side speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? 

It's around A$1000 for two. Is that the equivalent or better than a $1000 5 channel amp (probably a used one)?

Also, looks like you can get them as mono amps or stereo amps. Is it one or the other or can you switch between (thinking to use them now at 5.1, but stereo when I go 7.1). Anyone know?

Sound quality wise, it's a class-a low feedback Nelson Pass design. That equals good in my humble opinion.

In purely quantitative terms, the amp has a fairly low power envelope (5 watts RMS I think) and does not offer the lowest of distortion but you have to look at the bigger picture with Nelson Pass stuff - the distortion type and even the phase of the distortion is very important and part of what gives his stuff their distinctive sound.

It is certainly going to be radically different to a high power AV amplifier. Very different beasts with very different aims. Which is better? That totally depends on your needs and tastes.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_amp_camp_1.pdf

There is scope to buy two units are run them as higher powered dual monos.

You'll also need a preamp for this design as it's a power amp' so take that into consideration. I think the amp' is not for everyone but if your tastes run this way, it's a great project. It's the exchange rate that sort of kills the "DIY value" part for us.

Edited by scumbag

Funds are heading my way at the end of June, or I could sell my brain as it is unused.....  BNIB :)

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1

Pre-orders for the new Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6 are open for one week only

If you're into do-it-yourself audio and you haven't heard the buzz about Nelson Pass's Amp Camp Amp yet, today is your lucky day. 

The "little amp that could" has been The diyAudio Store's most in demand product since its first release two years ago. It's not hard to see why - designed by an audio legend, can be completed in one sitting, doesn't use mains power, sounds amazing and is incredibly affordable. Good looks are icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I was thinking to get two, then use them as balanced amps. That would work for my current 5.1 setup, but if ever I went to 7.1 (my processor is 7.1 balanced) I'd need another two amp channels. So I might be better just getting another quality 5 channel amp. Should have picked up one while they still were selling them on ebay, but they're out now.

Hi guys.  Interesting!!  I’m very tempted.  I have a few questions:

- I read the various posts about the power supply.  Do you reckon we could hit Clay up for a LPS to supply one/two of these units?

- anyone interested in going in on combined post?  I usually get stuff sent via my American Shipitto account.  

Mat