Pass Amp Camp Amp

nzlowie

Tonight I thought I'd throw my Pass ACA onto the mid-hf horns..... dam these little amps are pretty good. Hard to believe such a simple little amp can sound so good.... but then it's designed by Nelson Pass!

Anyone else using these?

• Like 2

Tonight I thought I'd throw my Pass ACA onto the mid-hf horns..... dam these little amps are pretty good. Hard to believe such a simple little amp can sound so good.... but then it's designed by Nelson Pass!

Anyone else using these?

Currently using mine on a pair of supertweeters. You've convinced me to give it a run on my paper horns..... when they're finished. 54f212a85d7801be29335598e4691199.jpg
  • Like 2

Should have known you would have built a pair of these! Built mine age's ago but haven't used them much as I have to rebuild the case as the heatsink is too small. Going to build new cases and change the output cap to something a lot smaller and add a filter cap to the input, we don't need these to run below 500hz so why feed them that range.

How old is the kit? Does it have the latest mod? Mine (12 months old) only gives 5-6w instead of the 8w the original ones did.

Mine is about 2 years old now, I thought the only mod was an extra bias? resistor that lifted it from 5 to 6 watts.Yes mine have this.

Schematic link here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html

You could be right mate. My memory of it was that it was originally an 8w kit and the mod took it down to 5-6w but improved sound quality. It's now part of the design. Could be wrong. I originally bought the boards quite a few years ago but didn't get around to building it. My ever patient wife bought me the kit for Christmas last year.

Built the base model a couple of weeks ago.

After trying the various up grades, 24v, adding R15, up specking R12, adding larger heatsinks to cope with it all, it`s now all back to the base model.

I did keep my home made heatsinks. Not large enough for the 24v model but more than enough for the 19v.5a8abc8a2d476_DSC05191a.jpg.5190e798e2ade4ca65b3669c2eb718e4.jpg

I went back to the basic model as I could not justify the 40% increase in power for the increase in output. 5.13 watts against 6.36 watts. (that and don`t have any spare laptop power supplies)

Added the B1 pre to keep it all in the Pass family.

A very nice sounding little unit.

Now I just have to build a box.

5a8abc758c352_DSC05278a.jpg.4c601f85e5f5a1172f2bcf3b2e39f464.jpg

Tony      

Edited by btd
  • Like 4

Built the base model a couple of weeks ago.
After trying the various up grades, 24v, adding R15, up specking R12, adding larger heatsinks to cope with it all, it`s now all back to the base model.
I did keep my home made heatsinks. Not large enough for the 24v model but more than enough for the 19v.5a8abc8a2d476_DSC05191a.jpg.5190e798e2ade4ca65b3669c2eb718e4.jpg

I went back to the basic model as I could not justify the 40% increase in power for the increase in output. 5.13 watts against 6.36 watts. (that and don`t have any spare laptop power supplies)
Added the B1 pre to keep it all in the Pass family.
A very nice sounding little unit.
Now I just have to build a box.

5a8abc758c352_DSC05278a.jpg.4c601f85e5f5a1172f2bcf3b2e39f464.jpg

Tony      
Cool! Cases are always a pain in the bum. What speakers do you run with it Tony?

10 hours ago, Upfront said:

Cool! Cases are always a pain in the bum. What speakers do you run with it Tony?

I don`t find the case building that hard, once I stop procrastinating over the style I want.

The electronics is my downfall. If I did not follow the paint by numbers or dot to dot approach I would be lost.

Speakers used are generally some old VAF DC7`s (93 db, series II I think). Though today I have had it driving some Infinity RS4B`s comparing it to some other amps.

One day I want to try some DIY horns.

Tony

from the 1/2 dun shed.

• Like 1

Ordered a couple of new cases today to put the ACA's in, the nice ones I built originally got way too hot as the heatsink wasn't efficient enough.
Before fitting them I'm going to fit an extra cap on the input and lower the value of the output cap to effectively make a high pass filter so I can eliminate the coil and cap from my passive xover. Lowering the output cap also allows me to use a nice poly prop cap which should help sound quality as well.
If this works as it should I'll do the same with the second pair of amps for the tweeters.

Roll on the weekend.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag

The Meanwell ones would probably be of comparable quality to the Allo one - and may have more options in regards to amperage. I guess having more headroom wouldn't hurt?

The Meanwell ones would probably be of comparable quality to the Allo one - and may have more options in regards to amperage. I guess having more headroom wouldn't hurt?
Headroom is exactly why I was thinking about making one. I have the regulators. Just need a transformer really.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323066636557

The originals supplied with the unit at 19v 2.4a so what you've suggested would work not a problem. Wondering if I should go to a 4a version. Pondering.

I've got a few spare Lenovo plug packs if you like I could send you a couple, these are 65w or 3.25 amp.

71e824efa34db2d088be6ab09d797e8d.jpg

• Like 1

No need to say these SMPS are not intended for audio. They can be very noisy. Great to test out gear but may introduce hash into your system depending where they are used. 

Don't know about them being noisey, these are what I use and with the 114db horns they are dead quiet!

• Like 2