Sign in to follow this  
kukynas

Black Panther

The movie is fictitious, so nothing to do with the real world as It's set in the imagined Marvel Universe. Any connections to reality is at the discretion of the individual, I prefer to leave it in It's fictitious place as it was intended.

I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I might give it a watch at some point after enjoying Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad as much as I did.

Guest Sime
3 hours ago, kukynas said:

@Sime I apologize if I confused you with my first sentence but it has nothing to do with content of the movie, just my (not so funny it seems) expression of restriction for sharing info till it's released everywhere and more users can report their impressions  

Ahh ok, but you actually brought up by accident, real situations that are going on around this movie, as I had mentioned later in the thread. 

11 hours ago, Sime said:

@Ray H mate, it’s not just me, it’s all over the place. There are many reports in the US that white people wont see this movie early because it’s been considered a black persons movie and people think they have to be polite about it. 

‘I don’t feel this way at all, but’s it’s one of the many dramas that’s going on with this film. 

My five word post is pretty obvious to anyone whose aware of what’s going on, as the op clearly is. 

Not my fault you are not, that’s why you aske first before shooting. 

I'm a long term marvel comic fan since childhood And I could never understand the position and spin of Wakanda in the marvel universe. It was basically Latveria, but with color swapped, and suddenly, all ok. Even worse though, as they pretended to be good guys but they lived in a closed racist society that hoarded wealth and technology, not even vaguely interested in helping any other people of their race, let alone other humans. And BP was basically an abscentee dictator. Black Panther is Dr Doom, but gets off on being a vigilante in the US rather than a villain.

But what do I know. I lived for years listening to people telling me how great The Wire was. I finally saw it and the underlying message I got from it was the showrunner must have really hated black people. Ok maybe they were being realistic, but I'd like to have fiction not leave me depressed. I'd like there to have been at least ONE person of color in one of the politician roles, or police commissioner roles, that wasn't a disgusting self serving criminal. Couldn't they at least have made one someone who had some backbone and moral character? No?. And maybe if 98% of the criminals weren't black. Probably why the only reason I'd watch again is season two as at least we had white criminals. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, kukynas said:

so, should we start sharing our impressions or is there certain embargo period :laugh: 

I guess spoiler tags for a few weeks at least? :D

Seems the film critics and public reviews on this are going through the roof;

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

JSmith :ninja:

Avatar is a movie about blue people but there was still a white guy behind the scene saving Pocahontas :)

Possible SPOILERS...

And we had Watson doing a scaled down version here too. 

FWIW, given the setting, it would be tough to have more white faces in there. The Marvel comic on which it is based does depict the country as being isolated from the rest of the world so it was never colonised. 

15 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

The Marvel comic on which it is based does depict the country as being isolated from the rest of the world so it was never colonised. 

Yep... the whole reason for the film using particular actors/actresses, nothing about making a "statement". :laugh:

JSmith :ninja:

Really loved Michael B. Jordan as the villain. He wasn't as generic as I thought he'd be. His reasons were a bit more complex (vengeance, wants to prove himself). I didn't like how much CGI was used, especially in the fights. I know it's so much cheaper, but it ages so quickly and just doesn't look as good. Nolan has the right idea, as less CGI as possible!

22 minutes ago, coolrunnings said:

I didn't like how much CGI was used

exactly my observation, simply too much and too visible but nothing compared to Justice League :rolleyes: 

Saw this yesterday on the big screen. Quite enjoyable. The quick scenes and cutting on the action scenes did my head in a bit but thats pretty much par for the course on action movies.
I saw Tomb Raider yesterday as well and actually prefered it over Black Panther. The yanks would have killed it but with the Brits it was handled with a bit more care and finesse.
BP 6 stars
TR 7 stars

13 minutes ago, Sime said:

Non of the superhero flicks are long term. 

I don't know man, Superman was out a while ago and it's still mentioned.

10 hours ago, Sime said:

@Monk which Superman?

The Superman!

You know, Christopher Reeves... ;):D