Headphone Amp Recommendations?

Hello Stereo.net.au,

I am looking for a different headphone amp than my Jotunheim that meets the following criteria:

1. Has balanced input and output

2. Can be used as a preamp

3. Costs under 2000AUD new.

4. Does not sound like a Violectric V200.

I don't like my amp too warm and I don't mind a bit of brightness. Currently using a Geiseler GroB DAC. Headphones I will use with it include a HifiMAN HEX and an LCD3 and whatever I can pick up next.

I hate to be a bit of a  'damp rag' but different headphone interact differently with different amps - the HEX and LCD3s can actually sound quite different on the same amp, but both of them may well sound different again on another amp - I understand that the LCD3s can be a troublesome load for some amps so ....

You have so many variables to consider - the ICs you use, the aftermarket cable on the phones (if any), the music and the usual volume, home or office with background noise (ie closed cups) and so on. 

If you're willing to spend up to 2 grand, spend a bit of those $s travelling around to the venues that sell different amps to see which ones suit your taste with the particular headphones you end up buying

Nobody else can even get close to being able to estimate your requirements - you really do have to do your own homework here

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m also in the same boat.

Geiseler GroB DAC and LCD3. Wanting to also drive active speakers (looking at Genelec G2  for a desktop).

For the Jotunheim, what made you want a different sound? I was considering a Mjolnir.