Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Therefore, when would the sound be better?

Analog xlr and rca, playing cds only, correct?

The Oppo and Panasonic should sound better using analog connections than the Oppo with a HDMI connection if you use the pure audio (or whatever they're calling it now) on the Marantz to bypass its dacs (on other settings the analog inputs will be converted back to digital). The Oppo's XLR output should sound better than it's RCA output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.

 

To summarise, for movies, one would only use the hdmi, or would you recommend the analog outs to achieve better sound?

 

In conclusion, for movies, the ub820 will be equal in sound quality and picture.?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Ok.

To summarise, for movies, one would only use the hdmi, or would you recommend the analog outs time achieve better sound?

In conclusion, for movies, the ub820 will be equal in sound quality and picture.?

I would use the hdmi instead of multi analogue for a couple of reasons . If you prefer to use audyssey xt32 with the analogue you add an extra ADC then after processing comes the main DACs [this after its already gone through the oppo/pana's dacs  …  I would imagine the Marantz bass management may be more precise with delays and xover settings than a standalone players as well  :)

But if you are taking advantage of the 8805's atmos and dts-x capabilities ; any standard bd's with atmos etc soundtracks wont be getting the full soundtrack steering[without the hdmi in of course to be clear] . Or possibly something to consider down the track ; I make sure to get those bd's that have a well mixed object soundtrack :thumb: 

Edited by cwt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers.

Overall it seems i might as well just go with the ub820,as my marantz will be giving me the the best sound anyways..

Would i be correct in saying that?

If i did not have the marantz av8805, then id be better getting the ub9000, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Ok.

 

To summarise, for movies, one would only use the hdmi, or would you recommend the analog outs to achieve better sound?

 

In conclusion, for movies, the ub820 will be equal in sound quality and picture.?

 

 

 

5 hours ago, cwt said:

I would use the hdmi instead of multi analogue for a couple of reasons . If you prefer to use audyssey xt32 with the analogue you add an extra ADC then after processing comes the main DACs [this after its already gone through the oppo/pana's dacs  …  I would imagine the Marantz bass management may be more precise with delays and xover settings than a standalone players as well  :)

But if you are taking advantage of the 8805's atmos and dts-x capabilities ; any standard bd's with atmos etc soundtracks wont be getting the full soundtrack steering . Or possibly something to consider down the track ; I make sure to get those bd's that have a well mixed object soundtrack :thumb: 

Agree, for movies definitely use HDMI.

55 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Cheers.

Overall it seems i might as well just go with the ub820,as my marantz will be giving me the the best sound anyways..

Would i be correct in saying that?

If i did not have the marantz av8805, then id be better getting the ub9000, correct?

I wouldn't expect any improvement with the UB9000 unless you're intending to upgrade to a JVC 4K projector - see here for details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wouldn't expect any improvement with the UB9000 unless you're intending to upgrade to a JVC 4K projector - see here for details.
Doubtful unless jvc release a lower priced 4k unit, but that's unlikely....

The ub820 therefore is gonna do the job. Is everyone certain thay the hdmi sound will not be improved on the ub9000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

The ub820 therefore is gonna do the job. Is everyone certain thay the hdmi sound will not be improved on the ub9000?

Its a bitstream from both and they both have the same HCX processing chipset so the only factor imo that may make a difference is the way the ones and zero's are buffered [timed] when coming into the 8805 . This has very good jitter processing so both benefit the same is a way to look at it ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2019 at 3:09 PM, Perth.hifi said:

Doubtful unless jvc release a lower priced 4k unit, but that's unlikely....

The ub820 therefore is gonna do the job. Is everyone certain thay the hdmi sound will not be improved on the ub9000?

That's equivalent to saying all transports sound the same and that's just simply not the case. Providing your equipment downstream is good enough there's a fair bit of difference between the UB820 & UB9000 when it comes to sound via HDMI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


That's equivalent to saying all transports sound the same and that's just simply not the case. Providing your equipment downstream is good enough there's a fair bit of difference between the UB820 & UB9000 when it comes to sound via HDMI.

Is there actually difference in the hdmi sound hardware? If so, I'm unable to find any info about it anywhere. Wouldn't the signal quality be controlled by the pre amp or the receiver its input into?

 

What specifically is different?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 16/08/2019 at 9:37 PM, Perth.hifi said:

Is there actually difference in the hdmi sound hardware? If so, I'm unable to find any info about it anywhere. Wouldn't the signal quality be controlled by the pre amp or the receiver its input into?

 

What specifically is different?

 

Very little in real terms with the HDMI interface hardware itself on most receivers.  Some receivers might buffer and reclock the digital audio stream to significantly reduce jitter before sending it to the decoder DACs.  An example is Sony's H.A.T.S. technique but only works with H.A.T.S. compatible sources.

 

The DACs in the receiver and its associated electronics will determine the sound quality because in HDMI mode the DACs in the player are bypassed and play no role in the reproduced audio.  The use of the multichannel analogue inputs on most receivers is another issue and there is no definitive answer on how this is handled unless the make and model is know and the relevant information is known.  In this configuration the audio is decoded by the player and sent to the HT amplifier.  Many modern amplifiers have  a feature to adjust the time delay, speaker actual or imaged positions, frequency response (room correction) and levels.  To achieve this the analogue signals are converted to digital to provide the manipulation of the audio by the DSP chip(s) then converted back to analogue via the DACs in the amplifier.  So in essence multiple D-A and A-D conversions are involved thereby potentially degrading the original digital signals from the source disc.

 

Therefore IMHO, the less conversions the better.  In all my HT gear where digital signals are involved from the source I use the HDMI inputs out of preference.  In two of the receivers I have, there are some HDMI inputs the manufacturer has labelled as "for high quality audio" even though these handle both video and audio.  I will dig out the service manuals and examine the schematics to try to determine why these specific HDMI inputs are recommended for high quality audio over the other HDMI inputs.  There's probably some difference, I just haven't bothered looking into it until now.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very little in real terms with the HDMI interface hardware itself on most receivers.  Some receivers might buffer and reclock the digital audio stream to significantly reduce jitter before sending it to the decoder DACs.  An example is Sony's H.A.T.S. technique but only works with H.A.T.S. compatible sources.
 
The DACs in the receiver and its associated electronics will determine the sound quality because in HDMI mode the DACs in the player are bypassed and play no role in the reproduced audio.  The use of the multichannel analogue inputs on most receivers is another issue and there is no definitive answer on how this is handled unless the make and model is know and the relevant information is known.  In this configuration the audio is decoded by the player and sent to the HT amplifier.  Many modern amplifiers have  a feature to adjust the time delay, speaker actual or imaged positions, frequency response (room correction) and levels.  To achieve this the analogue signals are converted to digital to provide the manipulation of the audio by the DSP chip(s) then converted back to analogue via the DACs in the amplifier.  So in essence multiple D-A and A-D conversions are involved thereby potentially degrading the original digital signals from the source disc.
 
Therefore IMHO, the less conversions the better.  In all my HT gear where digital signals are involved from the source I use the HDMI inputs out of preference.  In two of the receivers I have, there are some HDMI inputs the manufacturer has labelled as "for high quality audio" even though these handle both video and audio.  I will dig out the service manuals and examine the schematics to try to determine why these specific HDMI inputs are recommended for high quality audio over the other HDMI inputs.  There's probably some difference, I just haven't bothered looking into it until now.
 
Cheers,
Alan R.
Great info here!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Streaming app updates? Has there been updates to the apps library since release? Or is it a simple release and forget thing?

E.g likelihood of the Disney plus streaming app being added?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

I’m having a few Blu rays pixelate and freeze on my Panasonic uhd9000

 

discs have no blemish 

 

then they play on my oppo 103

 

funny thing is reading at Blu ray.com and avsforum it can go either way as to which player has the most sensitive laser

 

contacted the Panasonic distributor who told me to liaise with Panasonic  Australia who aren’t to concerned at the moment 

 

I guess this is what happens when you cram too much data into a shiny 5 inch disc or these UHD laser transports  aren’t as forgiving as the Blu ray lasers

Edited by Kdjjdk Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

I’m having a few Blu rays pixelate and freeze on my Panasonic uhd9000

 

discs have no blemish 

 

then they play on my oppo 103

 

funny thing is reading at Blu ray.com and avsforum it can go either way as to which player has the most sensitive laser

 

contacted the Panasonic distributor who told me to liaise with Panasonic  Australia who aren’t to concerned at the moment 

 

I guess this is what happens when you cram too much data into a shiny 5 inch disc or these UHD laser transports  aren’t as forgiving as the Blu ray lasers

Try changing your HDMI cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was a faulty cable one would think the issue would be common but I’m only seeing it on , say , 1 in every 80 Blu rays I play 

 

I’ll try changing the cable anyway

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's a hdmi cable issue...he's having problems with bluray playback, not uhd playback.

I had similar problems with the previous model Panasonic (900). Returned it and got an Oppo 203. Didn't have any playback issues!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...