betty boop

Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I found the latest firmware. Loaded OK on my Australian UB9000. Someone said this one had the ability to load external subs, but I can't find it.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/ub420/china/index.html

Loading is odd. Extract the FW file from the exe, copy it to the root of a USB stick (NOT NTFS), turn the player on, then stick it in the front USB. It restarts, then Shows something like FVV, then proceeds to something like "Loading" then eventually (after maybe 6 minutes) shows Finish. It doesn't then automatically restart though. Anyhow after it was on Finish for about 5 minites I gave up and hit the power standby button. Then I turned it on. And there is was, 1.66. I can't find how to load the subs though.

Hmm Mobe , wouldnt be the 1st time a foreign[china in your case] firmware had different functions . A bit like uk pana 780 led tvs got a hdr10 plus firmware and ours didnt 🤔

That said pana should surely have a direct network option without mucking around formatting with fat32 etc thumbdrives? Hopefully the easy version will turn up soon and worth a reflash and reset [like oppo used to recommend sometimes ]:)

19 minutes ago, cwt said:

Hmm Mobe , wouldnt be the 1st time a foreign[china in your case] firmware had different functions . A bit like uk pana 780 led tvs got a hdr10 plus firmware and ours didnt 🤔

That said pana should surely have a direct network option without mucking around formatting with fat32 etc thumbdrives? Hopefully the easy version will turn up soon and worth a reflash and reset [like oppo used to recommend sometimes ]:)

Not sure given the naming on the firmware file. And everything still English. I wonder if I set the player language to Chinese if the subtitle option shows. It might just be I don't have it in the right spot or file name (like with the oppo it only works if the file is subtitle.srt). User manuals these days are rubbish. I mean the subtitle option screen, there since day one, has never been in the manual.

On other news, Gatti have a region mod for this next month!!!!

27 minutes ago, cwt said:

That said pana should surely have a direct network option without mucking around formatting with fat32 etc thumbdrives? 

There is an online check and it can be set to auto check for updates.  Mine is on 1.60 and it is the latest version. 

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

There is an online check and it can be set to auto check for updates.  Mine is on 1.60 and it is the latest version. 

Yes snoopy thankfully its de rigeur these days even available on the old 900 . Ive been nervous about bricking things since my old pio 51fd only had the thumbdrive option [ with hopefully a checksum to make it foolproof🙏 ]

20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

No, 1.60 is far from the latest. If you purchased on new today, here, it would come with 1.66. A user on whirlpool got one. They are just too lazy to bother releasing it properly. Wiley the pandemic has shown a lot of smaller companies step up and grow, doing more stuff online, companies like Panasonic have used it as an excuse to not bother with support. You see someone who can work from home on support, or updating firmware is at high risk... The spend so much of their daily job meeting with random people - just like store cashier's.

Nor have they fixed the Lionsgate DV issues.

I agree though, the usb firmware updating is stupid and clumsy and poorly documented*- my instructions are 5 times more comprehensive than Panasonic.

Edited by Mobe1969

1 minute ago, Mobe1969 said:

No, 1.60 is far from the latest. If you purchased on new today, here, it would come with 1.66. They are just too lazy to bother releasing it properly.

Nor have they fixed the Lionsgate DV issues.

I did a search. 1.60 was latest release for USA, Europe/UK, Oceania, 1.66 for China according to Pana website. Interested to know where you are keeping tabs of the firmware, issues etc..

Was never expecting Pana to be good with firmware update, so not surprised they are slack. Remember, they have a consumer goods culture...

35 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

On other news, Gatti have a region mod for this next month!!!!

Thank you.  

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I did a search. 1.60 was latest release for USA, Europe/UK, Oceania, 1.66 for China according to Pana website. Interested to know where you are keeping tabs of the firmware, issues etc..

Was never expecting Pana to be good with firmware update, so not surprised they are slack. Remember, they have a consumer goods culture...

Thank you.  

Just on various other forums, Whirlpool and AVS, on the threads for this player and the 820. All new owners, here and America, have 1.66 on the 9000 and 820. That is the current firmware they are shipping new units with. That is where I'm getting the info. Initially people thought it might have been to fix the DV Lionsgate issue, as it arrived after it was reported, but it does not appear to.

Interesting that the firmware version is not aligned between the Panasonic website and shipped units.

Hopefully they release the 1.66 version soon.

Im still using the older UB900.  I dont watch enough UHD stuff to warrant the upgrade

From someone at Blu Ray.com via GeoffR at Whirlpool:

"Thanks to Mierzwiak over on the blu-ray forums, I now have an answer to this. You need to put create a folder on the usb called 'sub', rename the srt file to 'sub.srt' and put it in that folder. Must be all lower case. Then when you go to the subtitles menu from the option button, there are additional items in the menu, and you can load the external subs. I tried it and it worked like a charm"