Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang,

Just wanted to get ya thoughts on the Panasonic ub9000, deciding between it and a ub820.

I currently have a oppo105 on a Panasonic 1080p projector only, but been purchasing 4k discs. So wanting a player, thou not expecting a huge gain with my 1080p projector.

I watch movies 75% and listen to 2 channel music 25%, thou passionate about music. At times i increase my music listening.

I have a marantz av8805, and i love my sound setup atm, so thinking am i wasting my money on the ub9000? Would i be right that the hdmi Audio will be near identical from the 9000 and 820 once connected to my marantz?

I don't play music discs, but do stream from my home nas via my oppo to marantz and via heos tidal, Spotify. I do have my xlrs connected from oppo to marantz, but again i don't play cds.

I'm told the video will be identical from the hdmi, so thinking the sound will be too via hdmi once sent to my marantz?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi gang,

Just wanted to get ya thoughts on the Panasonic ub9000, deciding between it and a ub820.

I currently have a oppo105 on a Panasonic 1080p projector only, but been purchasing 4k discs. So wanting a player.

I watch movies 75% and listen to 2 channel music 25%, thou passionate about music. At times i increase my music listening.

I have a marantz av8805, so my sound setup is sweet, so thinking am i wasting my money on the ub9000? Would i be right that the hdmi Audio will be near identical from the 9000 and 820 once connected to my marantz?

I don't play music discs, but do stream from home nas via my oppo to marantz and via heos tidal, Spotify. I do have my xlrs connected from oppo to marantz, but again i don't play cds.

I'm told the video will be identical from the hdmi, so thinking the sound will be too via hdmi once sent to my marantz?

Thoughts?

No advantage going to the UB9000 with your set-up. The 105 will be at least as good if using analog outputs and no difference between all three if using HDMI.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

No advantage going to the UB9000 with your set-up. The 105 will be at least as good if using analog outputs and no difference between all three if using HDMI.

I am guessing but I think 9000 may be slightly better than 105 for analogue..

It's a better dac, but from what I've read the implementation isn't as good.
So for movies, there's not going to be any sound gain from my oppo105, would that be right? If so, then either the 820 or 9000 is going to just give me equally better image for movie watching.

Just now, Perth.hifi said:
7 minutes ago, Quark said:
It's a better dac, but from what I've read the implementation isn't as good.

So for movies, there's not going to be any sound gain from my oppo105, would that be right? If so, then either the 820 or 9000 is going to just give me equally better image for movie watching.

Yes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Therefore, when would the sound be better?

Analog xlr and rca, playing cds only, correct?

The Oppo and Panasonic should sound better using analog connections than the Oppo with a HDMI connection if you use the pure audio (or whatever they're calling it now) on the Marantz to bypass its dacs (on other settings the analog inputs will be converted back to digital). The Oppo's XLR output should sound better than it's RCA output.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Ok.

To summarise, for movies, one would only use the hdmi, or would you recommend the analog outs time achieve better sound?

In conclusion, for movies, the ub820 will be equal in sound quality and picture.?

I would use the hdmi instead of multi analogue for a couple of reasons . If you prefer to use audyssey xt32 with the analogue you add an extra ADC then after processing comes the main DACs [this after its already gone through the oppo/pana's dacs  …  I would imagine the Marantz bass management may be more precise with delays and xover settings than a standalone players as well  :)

But if you are taking advantage of the 8805's atmos and dts-x capabilities ; any standard bd's with atmos etc soundtracks wont be getting the full soundtrack steering[without the hdmi in of course to be clear] . Or possibly something to consider down the track ; I make sure to get those bd's that have a well mixed object soundtrack :thumb: 

Edited by cwt

Cheers.

Overall it seems i might as well just go with the ub820,as my marantz will be giving me the the best sound anyways..

Would i be correct in saying that?

If i did not have the marantz av8805, then id be better getting the ub9000, correct?

8 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Ok.

To summarise, for movies, one would only use the hdmi, or would you recommend the analog outs to achieve better sound?

In conclusion, for movies, the ub820 will be equal in sound quality and picture.?

5 hours ago, cwt said:

I would use the hdmi instead of multi analogue for a couple of reasons . If you prefer to use audyssey xt32 with the analogue you add an extra ADC then after processing comes the main DACs [this after its already gone through the oppo/pana's dacs  …  I would imagine the Marantz bass management may be more precise with delays and xover settings than a standalone players as well  :)

But if you are taking advantage of the 8805's atmos and dts-x capabilities ; any standard bd's with atmos etc soundtracks wont be getting the full soundtrack steering . Or possibly something to consider down the track ; I make sure to get those bd's that have a well mixed object soundtrack :thumb: 

Agree, for movies definitely use HDMI.

55 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Cheers.

Overall it seems i might as well just go with the ub820,as my marantz will be giving me the the best sound anyways..

Would i be correct in saying that?

If i did not have the marantz av8805, then id be better getting the ub9000, correct?

I wouldn't expect any improvement with the UB9000 unless you're intending to upgrade to a JVC 4K projector - see here for details.

I wouldn't expect any improvement with the UB9000 unless you're intending to upgrade to a JVC 4K projector - see here for details.
Doubtful unless jvc release a lower priced 4k unit, but that's unlikely....

The ub820 therefore is gonna do the job. Is everyone certain thay the hdmi sound will not be improved on the ub9000?
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

The ub820 therefore is gonna do the job. Is everyone certain thay the hdmi sound will not be improved on the ub9000?

Its a bitstream from both and they both have the same HCX processing chipset so the only factor imo that may make a difference is the way the ones and zero's are buffered [timed] when coming into the 8805 . This has very good jitter processing so both benefit the same is a way to look at it ;)  

• Like 2

On 14/08/2019 at 3:09 PM, Perth.hifi said:

Doubtful unless jvc release a lower priced 4k unit, but that's unlikely....

That's equivalent to saying all transports sound the same and that's just simply not the case. Providing your equipment downstream is good enough there's a fair bit of difference between the UB820 & UB9000 when it comes to sound via HDMI.

• Like 1

That's equivalent to saying all transports sound the same and that's just simply not the case. Providing your equipment downstream is good enough there's a fair bit of difference between the UB820 & UB9000 when it comes to sound via HDMI.

Is there actually difference in the hdmi sound hardware? If so, I'm unable to find any info about it anywhere. Wouldn't the signal quality be controlled by the pre amp or the receiver its input into?

What specifically is different?

On 16/08/2019 at 9:37 PM, Perth.hifi said:

Is there actually difference in the hdmi sound hardware? If so, I'm unable to find any info about it anywhere. Wouldn't the signal quality be controlled by the pre amp or the receiver its input into?

What specifically is different?

Very little in real terms with the HDMI interface hardware itself on most receivers.  Some receivers might buffer and reclock the digital audio stream to significantly reduce jitter before sending it to the decoder DACs.  An example is Sony's H.A.T.S. technique but only works with H.A.T.S. compatible sources.

The DACs in the receiver and its associated electronics will determine the sound quality because in HDMI mode the DACs in the player are bypassed and play no role in the reproduced audio.  The use of the multichannel analogue inputs on most receivers is another issue and there is no definitive answer on how this is handled unless the make and model is know and the relevant information is known.  In this configuration the audio is decoded by the player and sent to the HT amplifier.  Many modern amplifiers have  a feature to adjust the time delay, speaker actual or imaged positions, frequency response (room correction) and levels.  To achieve this the analogue signals are converted to digital to provide the manipulation of the audio by the DSP chip(s) then converted back to analogue via the DACs in the amplifier.  So in essence multiple D-A and A-D conversions are involved thereby potentially degrading the original digital signals from the source disc.

Therefore IMHO, the less conversions the better.  In all my HT gear where digital signals are involved from the source I use the HDMI inputs out of preference.  In two of the receivers I have, there are some HDMI inputs the manufacturer has labelled as "for high quality audio" even though these handle both video and audio.  I will dig out the service manuals and examine the schematics to try to determine why these specific HDMI inputs are recommended for high quality audio over the other HDMI inputs.  There's probably some difference, I just haven't bothered looking into it until now.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 2

Very little in real terms with the HDMI interface hardware itself on most receivers.  Some receivers might buffer and reclock the digital audio stream to significantly reduce jitter before sending it to the decoder DACs.  An example is Sony's H.A.T.S. technique but only works with H.A.T.S. compatible sources.

The DACs in the receiver and its associated electronics will determine the sound quality because in HDMI mode the DACs in the player are bypassed and play no role in the reproduced audio.  The use of the multichannel analogue inputs on most receivers is another issue and there is no definitive answer on how this is handled unless the make and model is know and the relevant information is known.  In this configuration the audio is decoded by the player and sent to the HT amplifier.  Many modern amplifiers have  a feature to adjust the time delay, speaker actual or imaged positions, frequency response (room correction) and levels.  To achieve this the analogue signals are converted to digital to provide the manipulation of the audio by the DSP chip(s) then converted back to analogue via the DACs in the amplifier.  So in essence multiple D-A and A-D conversions are involved thereby potentially degrading the original digital signals from the source disc.

Therefore IMHO, the less conversions the better.  In all my HT gear where digital signals are involved from the source I use the HDMI inputs out of preference.  In two of the receivers I have, there are some HDMI inputs the manufacturer has labelled as "for high quality audio" even though these handle both video and audio.  I will dig out the service manuals and examine the schematics to try to determine why these specific HDMI inputs are recommended for high quality audio over the other HDMI inputs.  There's probably some difference, I just haven't bothered looking into it until now.

Cheers,
Alan R.
Great info here!!!

I’m having a few Blu rays pixelate and freeze on my Panasonic uhd9000

discs have no blemish 

then they play on my oppo 103

funny thing is reading at Blu ray.com and avsforum it can go either way as to which player has the most sensitive laser

contacted the Panasonic distributor who told me to liaise with Panasonic  Australia who aren’t to concerned at the moment 

I guess this is what happens when you cram too much data into a shiny 5 inch disc or these UHD laser transports  aren’t as forgiving as the Blu ray lasers

Edited by Kdjjdk Will
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

I’m having a few Blu rays pixelate and freeze on my Panasonic uhd9000

discs have no blemish 

then they play on my oppo 103

funny thing is reading at Blu ray.com and avsforum it can go either way as to which player has the most sensitive laser

contacted the Panasonic distributor who told me to liaise with Panasonic  Australia who aren’t to concerned at the moment 

I guess this is what happens when you cram too much data into a shiny 5 inch disc or these UHD laser transports  aren’t as forgiving as the Blu ray lasers

Try changing your HDMI cable.

I don't think it's a hdmi cable issue...he's having problems with bluray playback, not uhd playback.

I had similar problems with the previous model Panasonic (900). Returned it and got an Oppo 203. Didn't have any playback issues!

• Like 1

Oh well tried different hdmi cables and it made no difference 

guess I have to try to convince the Panasonic call centre this player isn’t the bees knees for some

problem is the freezing is so sporadic that if they don’t see it in testing they’ll say there’s no issue

looking at the OPPO 203 threads at avforums avs and Blu ray .com I see many posts of people having issues with freezing and disc locking up/ pixelating 

wish this 4k format had gone with another solution that didn’t involve such micron tolerances cause I never had this problem with dvds as the pits on those discs were well spaced out and u didn’t have to baby the discs

Edited by Kdjjdk Will