Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

14 minutes ago, cwt said:

I cant test dsd specifically snoopy but what I always do for dsd files is use db poweramp to convert to dop using a flac [lossless] container - works for dsd dacs and their equivalent lpcm versions :) It is nice to change error accuracy you want too..

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-dsd-dff-dsf-sacd.htm

Sorry; my pana ub900 is indisposed with my network atm [ and it isn't a 9000 with the AK4493]  but my tvix media player has no problem with my dsd dop files . 

Thank you Colin for your most helpful replies.  I am hoping not to use a PC in the chain.

17 minutes ago, cwt said:

Hopefully a 9000 owner has a few sacd files to test .

If it helps, I can send a few SACD files to a 9000 owner.  Trying to find out whether the UB9000 can read a SACD file (DSD or DSF) and output via its optical output as a 2 channel PCM (either as 24/96 or 24/192) to a DAC.  

18 minutes ago, poppybob said:

It loses sound and pixilates, just throws all these colorful squares and distorts the picture. I can skip a few chapters and it rights itself. Don’t know how else to explain.

Never seen that, nothing to do with cable ?

is there something else in mix screwing it all up ?

8 hours ago, poppybob said:

It loses sound and pixilates, just throws all these colorful squares and distorts the picture. I can skip a few chapters and it rights itself. Don’t know how else to explain.

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

Never seen that, nothing to do with cable ?

is there something else in mix screwing it all up ?

Agree, probably a cable that's struggling to pass enough bandwidth.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Will play around this weekend.

Unfortunately it’s the pana. Swapped my OPPO 103 which was hooked to a Samsung in living room. No issues in my Theater on the 9900 but same issues in my living room.
Appears I’ll have to go back to Westcoast and get another. It’s a shame as the 103 Oppo is a little less detailed. [emoji17]

"Why Panasonic UB9000's HDR Optimiser is Such A Killer Feature..."

"We explain and demonstrate why the [HDR Optimiser] function on the Panasonic UB9000/ UB820/ UB420 4K UHD Blu-ray players is such a killer feature, extracting the best picture quality from 4K Blu-rays for most displays."

as he illustrates on LG OLED, running through the options and illustrating the benefit. Well worth a watch to appreciate what the pana has on board for tone mapping :)  for all displays....

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 8.39.59 pm.png

• Like 1

Proud new owner of one of these now. Amazing machine, especially the way it delivers audio via hdmi 2.

Using it with a JVC X5500 and the picture is amazing.

I think this machine will have cured my source upgraditis!

If anyone is concerned re bandwidth with HDMI for video, I would definitely take a look at the FIBRR Optical HDMI cables. Amazingly flexible and easy to deal with and pic quality is awesome.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 26/02/2019 at 4:50 PM, Snoopy8 said:

If it helps, I can send a few SACD files to a 9000 owner.  Trying to find out whether the UB9000 can read a SACD file (DSD or DSF) and output via its optical output as a 2 channel PCM (either as 24/96 or 24/192) to a DAC.  

Can anyone help please?

Unfortunately it’s the pana. Swapped my OPPO 103 which was hooked to a Samsung in living room. No issues in my Theater on the 9900 but same issues in my living room.
Appears I’ll have to go back to Westcoast and get another. It’s a shame as the 103 Oppo is a little less detailed. [emoji17]

Finally got a replacement Panasonic. Thanks to Steve and team at Westcoast HiFi Rockingham.

JVC / panasonic press release on their collaboration for HDR with dedicated profiles and automatic tone mapping for HDR content,

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/jvc_panasonic.html 

note this relates to jvc N series and panasonics ub9000 und player.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JVC and Panasonic Collaborate
to Optimize Large-Screen HDR Performance

JVC projectors’ dedicated color profiles for Panasonic’s flagship 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player
provide automatic tone mapping of HDR content

LONG BEACH, CALIF., March 15, 2019 – JVC and Panasonic have collaborated to deliver the best possible HDR video by optimizing performance when Panasonic’s acclaimed top-end Ultra HD Blu-ray player is paired with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector.

A key feature in Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is the HDR Optimizer, which tone maps HDR10 content based on the metadata to match the capabilities of a display. To achieve optimum HDR image quality when the player is connected to a compatible JVC projector, users select one of two dedicated color profiles developed specifically for the Panasonic 4K Ultra HD player. The profiles work in conjunction with the player’s HDR Optimizer to deliver the best possible HDR images.

Several titles do not include MaxCLL and MaxFALL (HDR10 metadata). In those cases, the projectors’ dedicated color profile works with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer to deliver optimum HDR image quality.
The Panasonic DP-UB9000 has been widely praised as the gold standard among Ultra HD Blu-ray players, and its HDR Optimizer works beautifully with our projectors to deliver stunning HDR images,” said Fred Zecha, General Manager, Custom Installation Sales, JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation. “By including custom color profiles specifically designed for the Panasonic player, performance is further improved by optimizing HDR content for the player/projector pairing and the result is truly cinema-quality images.”

The JVC native 4K D-ILA projector and the UB9000 with its unique features are a great fit. We are very excited about this collaborative effort to bring consumers the best in home entertainment,” said Bill Voss, Business Development Manager, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. 

The Panasonic DP-UB9000 uses the company’s second generation Hollywood Cinema Experience (HCX) video processor, which includes the HDR Optimizer. Users select their display type from a player menu of options (OLED, High Brightness Projector, Basic Brightness Projector, LCD, etc.) and the player tone maps the content for that display. 

Pairing the player with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector provides optimum HDR image quality by using one of the projector’s two DP-UB9000 color profiles. Using the JVC projectors’ Color Profile Settings, the user chooses either the “Pana_PQ_HL” (High Luminance Projector) or “Pana_PQ_BL” (Basic Luminance Projector) setting based on the corresponding HDR Display Type setting in the DP-UB9000. Which setting to choose depends on the user’s preference – the High Luminance Projector setting prioritizes image brightness; the Basic Luminance Projector setting prioritizes widest color gamut reproduction.

Opting to use both the JVC projectors’ dedicated Panasonic player color profiles and the 4K Ultra HD BD player’s HDR Optimizer results in a more realistic HDR image with more accurate gradation compared to what’s achieved using Auto Tone Mapping or HDR Optimizer alone.

For 2019 JVC D-ILA 4K projectors currently in use, the dedicated Panasonic DP-UB9000 color profiles will be available this month via a firmware upgrade, while projectors in production will be shipped with new version firmware.

The 2019 JVC projector line is comprised of six models in the Procision and Reference Series, and includes the DLA-NX9 and DLA-RS3000 with 8K e-shift technology. Model numbers and retail prices are:

DLA-NX9/DLA-RS3000 $17,999.95
DLA-NX7/DLA-RS2000  $7,999.95
DLA-NX5/DLA-RS1000  $5,999.95

About JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVCKENWOOD Corporation and is a leading developer of imaging, home and car entertainment and navigation products for the consumer market, two-way radio communications systems for public safety, private industry and amateur users, and video equipment for the broadcast and professional markets. For detailed information, call JVCKENWOOD USA at 1-800-582-5825 or visit us at http://us.jvckenwood.com, www.kenwoodusa.com and www.jvc.com.

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

Based in Newark, NJ, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation. The company offers a wide range of consumer solutions in the U.S. including LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Blu-ray players, Home Audio, Technics, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances, Beauty, Grooming, Wellness and Personal Care products and more. Panasonic is included in the 2019 Global RepTrak® 100, an annual ranking of public perception toward the world’s top companies by the Reputation Institute.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Somewhat totally off topic, I see Samsung is to stop making Bluray /4K disc spinner entirely

there's one or two threads on that already tweaky :) 

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

there's one or two threads on that already tweaky :) 

My bad.

I loathe bloggers that anoint themselves as the 'Know all' "predictors " of future tech.

The YouBuob video I saw that was announcing this was saying the death of Bluray was to shortly come.

Samsungs sales of disc players must be paltry compared to Panasonics

4 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

My bad.

I loathe bloggers that anoint themselves as the 'Know all' "predictors " of future tech.

The YouBuob video I saw that was announcing this was saying the death of Bluray was to shortly come.

Samsungs sales of disc players must be paltry compared to Panasonics

in business there is a saying...you get what you deserve... reap what you sow ...

anyways pana is going onwards and upwards. this working with other display maker is unprecedented :) 

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

in business there is a saying...you get what you deserve... reap what you sow ...

anyways pana is going onwards and upwards. this working with other display maker is unprecedented :) 

Ime in a quandary Al ; I keep reading for years now that 3d is dead but they  keep selling these suspicious looking disc things :)

On topic ; Its a very clever way to make HDR optimisation easier with consistent results ; curious if/when the firmware will be usb supplied for the N series as it mentions the pana getting it with no mention of the jvc -only shipped ? Maybe a ship back to jvc job as its complicated ?

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

For 2019 JVC D-ILA 4K projectors currently in use, the dedicated Panasonic DP-UB9000 color profiles will be available this month via a firmware upgrade, while projectors in production will be shipped with new version firmware.

• Like 1

Lol. Keep up Colin. JVC firmware came out today. ???

Davo already has it installed on his N7.

Now all we need is for Al to buy an N7 ( already has the UB9000) or for Davo to replace his Oppo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Lol. Keep up Colin. JVC firmware came out today. ???

Davo already has it installed on his N7.

Now all we need is for Al to buy an N7 ( already has the UB9000) or for Davo to replace his Oppo.

Well ;there you go ^_^ ; must admit Ime a bit jealous of that usb port ; Ime waiting for my 7000e back after it was bricked with a serial port bt2020 update :rolleyes: Slack upgrade eh . 

• 1 month later...

So @betty boop you've now had your UB9000 for 6 months. Has it lived up to your expectations???

Have you or @Kazzhad any operational niggles or anything that would make you question its build quality or reliability. Do all the functions work as expected??? Do you still use your Oppos or have they now been forever superseded???

Has anyone here used one with an OLED display???

@Happy Sacks I have only just bought one which is connected to my Sony A8F oled. 

So far I am really impressed. The picture quality is amazing, the upscaling of blu-rays are fantastic. The sound is awesome, it is connected via the RCA outs to my home theatre system.

I have only had it three days so I can't give a long term view, and other than playing a few movies and youtube videos and I haven't used other functions yet.

• Like 2

@Happy Sacks 

4 hours ago, Happy Sacks said:

So @betty boop you've now had your UB9000 for 6 months. Has it lived up to your expectations???

Have you or @Kazzhad any operational niggles or anything that would make you question its build quality or reliability. Do all the functions work as expected??? Do you still use your Oppos or have they now been forever superseded???

Has anyone here used one with an OLED display???

All good here... really nothing to report in that yes all is really good. Does everything says on the tin ! No surprises :D nothing to question...

do do still have my OPPO 205 just relocated it to 2ch side as universal player there. Got a long hdmi for it so can use as back up player to pana if ever need and particularly for multi region blu-Ray/DVD that 9000 cant do :)

• Like 1

I've had it about the same, and all good. Like the tone mapping. Love the reliability. No problem playbacks yet.

The thing I like best though is the subtitle options though... I just hate it now when I have a region A disc I have to put in that sluggish oppo 103 I have. I've been wishing I could get a region A 820 for US and Asian blu rays... I wonder what subtitle options the pioneer has?...

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 10:11 PM, Whites said:

@Happy Sacks I have only just bought one which is connected to my Sony A8F oled. 

So far I am really impressed. The picture quality is amazing, the upscaling of blu-rays are fantastic. The sound is awesome, it is connected via the RCA outs to my home theatre system.

I have only had it three days so I can't give a long term view, and other than playing a few movies and youtube videos and I haven't used other functions yet.

Thanks Whites. I'll be hooking it up to an LG 55EF950T, which was LG's first flat 4K OLED monitor. Haven't really seen enough improvement from other makers to change it at this point. The new Panasonic GZ2000 will be an interesting one to watch though as Panasonic spent a lot of time negotiating with LG so they could implement their own power supply rather than have to use LG's.

On 08/05/2019 at 10:37 PM, betty boop said:

@Happy Sacks 

All good here... really nothing to report in that yes all is really good. Does everything says on the tin ! No surprises :D nothing to question...

do do still have my OPPO 205 just relocated it to 2ch side as universal player there. Got a long hdmi for it so can use as back up player to pana if ever need and particularly for multi region blu-Ray/DVD that 9000 cant do :)

The old doomsday failsafe hey BB. ? When I bought the Anthem AVM60, I had the both the Primare SP33 & SPA 23 tucked away in their boxes in the spare room for nearly a year before I parted with them. I even hung onto my Primare A30.7 Power Amp for 12 months after I bought the bomb-proof Parasound A51. Must be the half Irish in me.........to be sure, to be sure. 

On 09/05/2019 at 9:22 AM, Mobe1969 said:

I've had it about the same, and all good. Like the tone mapping. Love the reliability. No problem playbacks yet.

The thing I like best though is the subtitle options though... I just hate it now when I have a region A disc I have to put in that sluggish oppo 103 I have. I've been wishing I could get a region A 820 for US and Asian blu rays... I wonder what subtitle options the pioneer has?...

Thanks Mobe, BB & Whites. I pulled the trigger. Figured $1285 including shipping from an authorised reseller was a good deal. 

Anyone wanting this deal Videopro Online (eBay store) has one left at $1495 and you then apply the discount code of PIX15 during checkout to get another 15% off.  Code is valid until Monday 13/5. 

Mods please feel free to edit if this is not allowed.

Edited by Happy Sacks
  • Like 2