betty boop

Panasonic UB9000 Flag ship uhd player with XLR output

Wow I knew when they released a ub820  that there would be a more upmarket player to replace the ub900 currently.

well looks like pana is very serious about things with this new ub9000 flagship. And it looks fully featured.

what I like is that it looks like a conventional player as well, with look and controls as expect in a standalone dedicated player

B76C3F0B-635C-48CA-89C7-E04AEC2B7763.jpeg

“At Panacon, Panasonic's annual product launch event, the company announced that its 2018 flagship player will be the DP-UB9000 (not to be confused with the DMP-UB900 – the brand's first 4K player, launched in 2016).

Like the DP-UB820, the DP-UB9000 supports HDR10+Dolby Vision HDR, Alexa and Google Assistant voice control (via a future software update), and 7.1 channel audio.

The emphasis will be on audio performance, with the DP-UB9000 having a dedicated audio power supply, a 'high-performance' DAC and an XLR balanced output.

Housed in new vibration-reducing casework, a thick steel plate fixes the optical disc drive to the chassis to reduce noise during disc rotation.

It also features the latest HCX (Hollywood Cinema Experience) processor and 4K upscaling and HDR optimisation technology that form part of the 2018 range.

Pricing is yet to be confirmed, and the DP-UB9000 is not expected to go on sale in the UK until the second half of 2018.”

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-unveils-flagship-dp-ub9000-4k-blu-ray-player-plus-two-soundbars#y8V5ZqjeIvHDIpUp.99

Be interesting how this will compete with the OPPO 205 with XLR support and curious on the dac chip used!   Hopefully it supports s/pdif out! 

2 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Be interesting how this will compete with the OPPO 205 with XLR support and curious on the dac chip used!   Hopefully it supports s/pdif out! 

Indeed. No idea if the pana does other disc formats. Looks to me. Player I always wished Cambridge audio to do.

looks like oppo has some competition here !

competition is always a good thing :)

This may be a dumb question, but is there any benefit for the analog output that would differentiate the 9000 from the 820? I mean what specifically would one use this for? Would you use it if you didn't have a receiver, had spare amps, and didn't want Atmos?

20 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

This may be a dumb question, but is there any benefit for the analog output that would differentiate the 9000 from the 820? I mean what specifically would one use this for? Would you use it if you didn't have a receiver, had spare amps, and didn't want Atmos?

its for 2ch aficionados that use the oppo 105/205 for instance as source. thats what the 9000 is competing against the oppo with XLRs for I would suggest.

you can use the 105/205 as a rudimentary processor to feed a multichannel amp but i personally wouldn't recommend it.

That is what I thought (as well as the Oppo 103/105 and 203/205). I'd honestly be more interested in a flagship model if the quality of other components were better, especially the Oppo. The Australia Oppo 103 had such a rubbish laser assembly I had too many playback problems. It is a plastic chassis with a single stainless tracking rail on one side, and grooved piece of plastic on the other. It is a bad example of engineering if I've ever seen one. The US laser assembly was more standard. I can't even find a full teardown or replacement parts listed for the assembly on the 203/205 so I can't say what they are like. Or if the Aus version is different.

103.png

103au.png

11 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

That is what I thought (as well as the Oppo 103/105 and 203/205). I'd honestly be more interested in a flagship model if the quality of other components were better, especially the Oppo. The Australia Oppo 103 had such a rubbish laser assembly I had too many playback problems. It is a plastic chassis with a single stainless tracking rail on one side, and grooved piece of plastic on the other. It is a bad example of engineering if I've ever seen one. The US laser assembly was more standard. I can't even find a full teardown or replacement parts listed for the assembly on the 203/205 so I can't say what they are like. Or if the Aus version is different.

sorry in the 4 oppo players i have owned ive had absolutely no issue with laser assembly failure or anything. and oppo are renowned for after sales incase of issues so absolutely least of my concerns. certainly what ever the experience, i wouldn't be tarnishing 203/205 wiht 103./105 brush as completely different units and with different uhd/universal drives in anycase.

in players we are talking here, id be more bothered in this case with pana after sales and support(call centre based) having experienced myself and found to be very average to say least.

38 minutes ago, :) al said:

sorry in the 4 oppo players i have owned ive had absolutely no issue with laser assembly failure or anything. and oppo are renowned for after sales incase of issues so absolutely least of my concerns. certainly what ever the experience, i wouldn't be tarnishing 203/205 wiht 103./105 brush as completely different units and with different uhd/universal drives in anycase.

in players we are talking here, id be more bothered in this case with pana after sales and support(call centre based) having experienced myself and found to be very average to say least.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I was tarnishing the 203/205, more to the point that I have not, after quite a bit of searching been able to ascertain what exactly they are using for the assembly in the 203/205. And I was most definitely burnt on the 103. I only found out with the oppo as I was getting sick of the playback issues I was having, and was going to do what I did with my PS3s when they started displaying issue - order in a new laser assembly and replace it. I took the cover off the oppo and found the chassis looked nothing like the ones on ebay. So digging further I found it was a different assembly, as in the pictures I posted. And it is poor quality. So after my 103 experience I just wouldn't even consider an oppo UHD player unless I could verify they haven't lumped Australia with poorer quality parts like they most DEFINITELY did with the 103. And having seen enough posts on UHD forums and threads of people with playback issues on the oppo I am reticent.

And even worse, when I contacted oppo they were NOT interested in helping even though it was under warranty. They just asked me for a list of all the titles I was having issues with and they'd look into it. They didn't even want to see the unit. And that was when I started looking at just replacing the laser assembly myself.

So maybe the 203/205 is great. but I have no reason to believe it is. And after recounting all this, I would have to be against a brick wall with something I absolutey could not get some other way to even consider them...

Edited by Mobe1969

3 hours ago, :) al said:

Indeed. No idea if the pana does other disc formats. Looks to me. Player I always wished Cambridge audio to do.

looks like oppo has some competition here !

competition is always a good thing :)

A few things make me tend to think its not a universal Al ; their competitiveness with  sony - the 1st bd player they put out did dvd-a ;no dsd and they haven't released one since afaik . And it lists both dsd flavours as streamable ; good enough possibly .. 

Very handy BT2020 SDR option and the UK price does look very competitive :) Like the sound of the stable drive mechanism too ; 

https://www.avforums.com/news/panasonic-announces-dp-ub9000-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.14649

1 minute ago, cwt said:

A few things make me tend to think its not a universal Al ; their competitiveness with  sony - the 1st bd player they put out did dvd-a ;no dsd and they haven't released one since afaik . And it lists both dsd flavours as streamable ; good enough possibly .. 

Very handy BT2020 SDR option and the UK price does look very competitive :) Like the sound of the stable drive mechanism too ; 

https://www.avforums.com/news/panasonic-announces-dp-ub9000-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.14649

Good find. Yes, an improved drive assembly is of definite interest to me. It is good to see there are other components improved in it, not just the addition of the analog.