Blk plastic

Switching off gear at the power point

It's great to see that they now have engines that don't emit any of that filthy C02 any more!

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

Yes  it is, but worse for pollution unless you have a DPF exhaust system, with the DPF  fluid bladder that get's injected into the DPF exhaust every 1000ks and burns any diesel particles  into an ash, then you can claim as Peugeot do, which my wife drives, a fossil fuel car where the air going into the motor is dirtier than the air coming out the exhaust. It's called the Peugeot "Oxygo" (1200klm per 60lts) and they were so excited about the pollution it didn't put out they planted a tree for everyone sold, hence the name Oxygo

Cheers George   

Prettu much every diesel engine these days has an automatic dpf....

1200 to 60 litres of diesel isn't anything exceptional. Mercedes and bmw have had thise type of figures for the last 10 or so years. As well as 500nm if torque from the word go...

On 2/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, static said:

Not really a hifi comment, but I get a lot of pleasure from turning things off at the powerpoint.  My small comment on the Fed's ridiculous energy policy and the ripoff power companies.  Other than getting solar everything, and hoping to get off the grid some time soon.

Me too.....and give the proverbial 'bird' to the power companies and the govt.:cool:

16 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Judging by these comments, it sound like you still have a rubbish incinerator in the backyard, and burn leaded fuel.

What's wrong even if it does subsidise our cane farmers, so long as there's less pollution coming out of your tail pipe.

BTW: I've done all my own mechanical and service work since the 70's. Since E10 came out I've used it on a BMW3.0csi,  V40T Volvo, Subaru H6, E-Class 300 Merc, CLC200 Kompressor.  and others.

With every one of these cars, I've done cost v millage comparison between E10 vs 98 or 95 and in every instance your pocket is far better off using E10, yes there is a "little" and I say "little" more gain in performance with premium only when pushing hard, but for normal driving there's no gain in using it. E10 has never, I repeat never given any trouble to any of the cars I've used it in that can use it.             

So if you want to think of yourselves as "Green" and "Saving the Planet" then put less pollution into the air and  use E10, the planet will thank you also your pocket.

Cheers George  

Ethanol reacts badly with rubber, plastic and some metals. Cars with nylon and stainless fuel lines ans systems are ok. Just need to watch out with older cars. 

On 2/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No long term damage should result. If you REALLY want to save electricity and the planet, then do the following:

* Fill in your pool...

Gee, if only I could, I have been loosing that enlargement for so long.  And MrsFeline wanted a solar heating system to get more use out of it, good in theory but in Melbourne it only gave her about 4 extra days use (not what the marketing info told us).  This system adds a second pump running hours per day to add to the energy provider's profits.  And all that black tubing on our roof is taking up real estate that should have solar cells installed.

The one and only benefit the cement pond has is that it's preventing my father in law from building a granny flat in our back yard.  If he moved in the only music allowed would be recordings of the Wurlitzer organ.  And as likable as he is, we are grateful for that.

Edited by audiofeline
double post

7 hours ago, audiofeline said:

And all that black tubing on our roof is taking up real estate that should have solar cells installed.

On our previous house where we installed a pool we covered the deck roof in the black tubing for the solar pool heater - increasing coverage beyond what the pool guy recommended for our size pool so that the deck roof was fully covered.

There was a plan to this, as the deck roof only had sisalation under the tin and on a hot day the radiant heat got pretty hot in summer.

Turning the pool solar heating on cooled the deck in 2 minutes. Plenty of times I'd run the pool solar heating just to keep the deck cooler. Our pool was mostly shaded so the pool never got too hot, and the solar gave us a month either side of typical swimming season.

Mike