Blk plastic

Switching off gear at the power point

I've been switching my Marantz 6004 cd player off at the wall to avoid it sitting on standby and thus sucking money from my wallet when not in use.I also do this when electrical storms loom. Can this possibly cause any long term damage/issues? As I understand it, with amps there could be potential issues with relays. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.

No long term damage should result. If you REALLY want to save electricity and the planet, then do the following:

* Fill in your pool.

* Stop using heating/cooling systems.

* Buy an efficient refrigerator. 

The standby power consumption of the Marantz CD6004 is 0.3 Watts. Let's put that into perspective. You could operate the CD6004 in standby for over 4 months:

* For every hour you run a pool pump. 

* For every 20 minutes you run a large, single phase air conditioner.

* For every 5 hours you run an LCD TV set.

[EDIT] I filled in my pool two years ago. The result was a 30% reduction in electricity consumption. And no cleaning the leaves from the pool every week. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

41 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

* Fill in your pool.

And use E10 in cars that can use it ZAPH!!!!

Cheers George

Today

Capture.JPG

Edited by georgehifi

Actually on that note, if I may hijack the thread a little, I have a Thor power conditioner, and can’t find data on its power consumption.  Given that it’s on all the time, I’d be interested to find out! Mat 

25 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Actually on that note, if I may hijack the thread a little, I have a Thor power conditioner, and can’t find data on its power consumption.  Given that it’s on all the time, I’d be interested to find out! Mat 

You could buy one of those power consumption meters and check it yourself. Plugs into the mains, then plug your thor into it to test how much power it draws.

eg.

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/products/plug-in-power-meter?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=28203487113&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-b2Uofej2QIVQY6PCh2x_Qw0EAQYASABEgLzyPD_BwE

1 minute ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Good idea.  Weird, but I can’t find a spec sheet that mentions it....

I could not find it either. I did the test when I had one but can't find or remember what the result was, sorry.

Not really a hifi comment, but I get a lot of pleasure from turning things off at the powerpoint.  My small comment on the Fed's ridiculous energy policy and the ripoff power companies.  Other than getting solar everything, and hoping to get off the grid some time soon.

I was wondering the same thing. Except I’m using a valve and transistor 150w amp. No standby switch. How safe would it be to turn this unit off via a smart switch?

10 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No long term damage should result. If you REALLY want to save electricity and the planet, then do the following:

* Fill in your pool.

The standby power consumption of the Marantz CD6004 is 0.3 Watts. Let's put that into perspective. You could operate the CD6004 in standby for over 4 months:

* For every hour you run a pool pump. 

* For every 20 minutes you run a large, single phase air conditioner.

* For every 5 hours you run an LCD TV set.

Very to the point, cheers Zaph.

Well my amp is apparently quite miserly being Class D but I never really stressed. And I stress less with solar panels.

Well, I've been off grid for the best part of 20 years now and have turned everything off at the power point all that time to conserve my battery power. I have never had any issues with my gear, including valve pre and power amps.

On 14/02/2018 at 8:50 AM, georgehifi said:

And use E10 in cars that can use it ZAPH!!!!

Cheers George

Today

Capture.JPG

What rubbish that is.

It's just a sugar cane subsidy!

I couldn't be ar$ed switching things off to save a few dollars that are in standby... I only turn things off when away for a few days or more.

7 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

872T59B.gif

:D

JSmith :ninja:

If you are trying to protect the gear during electrical storms, you need to remove the plug from the wall outlet.

Just switching it a the wall is not enough.

10 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

If you are trying to protect the gear during electrical storms, you need to remove the plug from the wall outlet.

That's right...................it comes up through the Earth!!!!

9 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

What rubbish that is.

When I was at school we were taught there'd be an ice age by now from pollution.

What went wrong?

The Greens want all industry offshore.

No industry, no pollution and everything can be run off renewables.

Judging by these comments, it sound like you still have a rubbish incinerator in the backyard, and burn leaded fuel.

What's wrong even if it does subsidise our cane farmers, so long as there's less pollution coming out of your tail pipe.

BTW: I've done all my own mechanical and service work since the 70's. Since E10 came out I've used it on a BMW3.0csi,  V40T Volvo, Subaru H6, E-Class 300 Merc, CLC200 Kompressor.  and others.

With every one of these cars, I've done cost v millage comparison between E10 vs 98 or 95 and in every instance your pocket is far better off using E10, yes there is a "little" and I say "little" more gain in performance with premium only when pushing hard, but for normal driving there's no gain in using it. E10 has never, I repeat never given any trouble to any of the cars I've used it in that can use it.             

So if you want to think of yourselves as "Green" and "Saving the Planet" then put less pollution into the air and  use E10, the planet will thank you also your pocket.

Cheers George  

Edited by georgehifi

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

I do this.

I turn mine off at the power point if I know if I'm not going to be listening to it for several days.

Just habit I suppose.

Thunderstorms, geez we haven't had one here in the Grampians for quite a while. 

Matt.

10 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Judging by these comments, it sound like you still have a rubbish incinerator in the backyard, and burn leaded fuel.

What's wrong even if it does subsidise our cane farmers, so long as there's less pollution coming out of your tail pipe.

BTW: I've done all my own mechanical and service work since the 70's. Since E10 came out I've used it on a BMW3.0csi,  V40T Volvo, Subaru H6, E-Class 300 Merc, CLC200 Kompressor.  and others.

With every one of these cars, I've done cost v millage comparison between E10 vs 98 or 95 and in every instance your pocket is far better off using E10, yes there is a "little" and I say "little" more gain in performance with premium only when pushing hard, but for normal driving there's no gain in using it. E10 has never, I repeat never given any trouble to any of the cars I've used it in that can use it.             

So if you want to think of yourselves as "Green" and "Saving the Planet" then put less pollution into the air and  use E10, the planet will thank you also your pocket.

Cheers George  

You always get better MPG with 98 and most Euro cars specify it.

E10 has nothing to do with 'saving the planet' and everything to do with 'votes in the bush' and 'reducing reliance on imported oil'.

Mind you, we import about 5 million litres of ethanol a year too...................

34 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

E10 has nothing to do with 'saving the planet'

You have absolutely no idea!!!!!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

You always get better MPG with 98 and most Euro cars specify it.

E10 has nothing to do with 'saving the planet'

Do the sums, yes you get a little better KPL (not MPG) from 98, but it doesn't make up for the far greater cost difference.

Cheers George

I switch off all my gear at the surge protector.

Power point stays on.

While were off topic, euros specify 95 octane. You can void your warranty of the fuel system.

E10 298rwkw (and no longer tuned to run on it)

98 320rwkw

E85 334rwkw

98 gets the best millage.

E85 the worst.(were talking 100kms worse).

Best for km per litre is diesel...

11 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Cheers George  

:offtopic:

From a selfish perspective it's such a shame Holden and Caltex dropped their support for E85 (85% ethanol), and Shell took over supplying the E85 control fuel for V8 Supercars from United when Shell don't sell it at the bowser, and have a vested interest in not selling it.

As a performance fuel, especially for turbo cars, E85 is fantastic - possibly only bested by liquid injection LPG.

Fuel consumption is not really a priority in performance street cars, but you definitely get less km from a tank of E85 compared to a tank of PULP 98, but more horsepower and way more resistance to detonation :) (of course assuming the car is tuned for the fuel).

Back on topic - if you turn your gear off first, then definitely no risk in then turning off at the wall.

Depending on gear design, turning off at the wall if the gear is still turned on can create speaker thumps.

Mike

11 hours ago, georgehifi said:

E10 has never, I repeat never given any trouble to any of the cars I've used it in that can use it.   

Well TBH mate you're lucky and I assume it's been used in reasonably new cars... try putting it in an old car that apparently "is compatible" and if there is any water in the fuel tank (often there is by this stage of the cars age) the ethanol (which is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water) will absorb this water and pump it into the fuel injection system... this tends to stuff ones car. ;)

As @Home theatre rookie mentioned, 98 get's the best fuel consumption... you get more burn out of less fuel and can also provide more quick power than E10.

JSmith :ninja:

3 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Best for km per litre is diesel...

Yes  it is, but worse for pollution unless you have a DPF exhaust system, with the DPF  fluid bladder that get's injected into the DPF exhaust every 1000ks and burns any diesel particles  into an ash, then you can claim as Peugeot do, which my wife drives, a fossil fuel car where the air going into the motor is dirtier than the air coming out the exhaust. It's called the Peugeot "Oxygo" (1200klm per 60lts) and they were so excited about the pollution it didn't put out they planted a tree for everyone sold, hence the name Oxygo

Cheers George