mloutfie

Starter mono cartridge

Looking for a low end mono cartridge since I don't have that many mono record. Was looking for under $100 but can't find any audio technica at-mono 3 seems to be the cheapest at around $150 from ebay. any suggestion for cheaper cartridge?

Edited by mloutfie

Apparently there’s a difference in how mono carts are constructed. I think the cheaper ones may be stereo carts rewired - see below.

From:  https://www.dagogo.com/miyajima-premium-be-mono-phono-cartridge-review/

The important thing to know is that a true mono cartridge is wired and built only to pickup signals off the record in the horizontal plane. The grove of a monaural recording is modulated only in the horizontal plane, whereas stereo recordings are cut into the vinyl at a forty-five degree angle with a separate channel of information on each of the grove walls, thus requiring the stylus to pick up signals in both the horizontal and vertical plane. Whereas a stereo cartridge sums the channels internally, the cartridge picks up noise from the vertical plane of the record grooves. In contrast, a true mono cartridge is wired and built only to pick up signals in the horizontal plane. Interestingly, in a mono record much of the surface noise is in the vertical plane, so avoiding this plane is of great benefit.

That is why a stereo cartridge wired internally as a mono cartridge does little more than a mono switch on a preamp; even a Y-connector does the same. You might at this point be asking, “who cares?” Well, anyone who owns a lot of great monaural records should care, because most physical damage to records occur in the vertical part of the grove. By not even picking up or amplifying this information you eliminate a lot of the noise from mono records that you hear when played back through a stereo cartridge.

1 hour ago, mloutfie said:

Looking for a low end mono cartridge since I don't have that many mono record. Was looking for under $100 but can't find any audio technica at-mono 3 seems to be the cheapest at around $150 from ebay. any suggestion for cheaper cartridge?

C'mon, Mahdi ... do you have a 'starter' stereo cart?  NO!

So why would you buy a 'starter' mono cart - instead of a good one?  Don't you want the few mono LPs you have, to sound their best?  After all, if they sound good ... you'll probably buy more! :)

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

C'mon, Mahdi ... do you have a 'starter' stereo cart?  NO!

So why would you buy a 'starter' mono cart - instead of a good one?  Don't you want the few mono LPs you have, to sound their best?  After all, if they sound good ... you'll probably buy more! :)

Andy

True It won't be the best..... Then again I only have just a few mono record (under 10) :) I can upgrade later when my mono collection grew

Go with the AT-Mono3/LP - you will not do better for a true mono cartridge and it will let you know why you want one.

37 minutes ago, Runaway said:

Apparently there’s a difference in how mono carts are constructed. I think the cheaper ones may be stereo carts rewired - see below.

You're right the cheaper one are a modified stereo. But this AT seems to be modified properly rather than just summing signal like a Y splitter or a mono switch. it is designed to completely not read the vertical movement so reported to have much less surface noise because of this design compared with summing signals

I think these are the original style. Cheap too.

basic.jpg

This should do the trick. 

mixie.jpg

Edited by Blk plastic

40 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

This should do the trick. 

With no disrespect intended to Geoff or his expertise, IME no amount of postmix electronic legerdemain will provide an equivalent result to using a proper generator at the source.

that's just a signal sum with a voltage divider right? Don't think it can get rid of the vertical noise

You cannot unbake bread.

One further point that has not been mentioned and is in addition to whether a cartridge uses a "true mono generator" (where the magnetic elements are aligned differently from a stereo one), is whether that cartridge has "vertical compliance" or not.

A cartridge not having vertical compliance (such as the Miyajimas and the Ortofon CG pickups) will damage a stereo recording if one is inadvertently played with one.

The Audio Technica Mono cartridges and the Ortofon SPU Mono do have vertical compliance and will do no harm to a stereo recording.

These are the cartridges of which I have knowledge, I cannot speak for others not mentioned.

16 hours ago, ophool said:

Go with the AT-Mono3/LP - you will not do better for a true mono cartridge and it will let you know why you want one.

I followed ophool's recommendation and am very happy with this cartridge, thanks mate!

Ah crap..... I bought the at mono3 last night didn't pay attention that's is SP version not LP. Just realized it after I get the item shipped notification. Gahhh :emot-bang:  

Oh dear, not a happy moment at all - :(

Do you even have the 78 rpm speed on your TT ?

7 minutes ago, ophool said:

Oh dear, not a happy moment at all - :(

Do you even have the 78 rpm speed on your TT ?

Nope both table doesn't have 78

On recommendation of a stereophile reviewer I bought the Grado M+. There is (or was) only two Grado monos, M+ and ME+. The cheaper M+ was purported  as all you need possibly by Art Dudley (I think). He also pointed out that stereo cartridges don't do mono well. 

Most of my mono LPs are classical ranging from new to very well worn. For only a few hundred dollars for the car, I think from decibel hifi, it is really a no brainer. 

Yes that grado m+ is also one of the recommended one

Finally ordered the correct AT MONO3LP looking at it's compliance and weight 10 *  x 10-6cm/Dyne and 6.8g only one of my tonearm is really compliant with it with 10Hz resonant point my other tonearm would be in the 12Hz resonant point. What's the consensus on having cart on the yellow side of vinyl engine resonant point? Is it close enough it should be fine?

Posted (edited)

I wonder if you may be over-thinking it. 

Vertical compliance has much less relevance when there is no vertical signal to be traced.

Provided your arms are medium compliance (I used it on a Michell Tecnoarm A and an Audiocraft AC300), you should encounter no practical usage issues - IMO.

Edited by ophool
Thai Po

3 hours ago, ophool said:

I wonder if you may be over-thinking it. 

Vertical compliance has much less relevance when there is no vertical signal to be traced.

Provided your arms are medium compliance (I used it on a Michell Tecnoarm A and an Audiocract AC300), you should encounter no practical usage issues - IMO.

I have many arm, one medium mass an other low mass. Trying to decide where to put this mono cartridge on

Finally done my mono setup oh my I can't stop smiling listening an early pressing "the early Beatles" it's so different experience from signal summing mono almost no noise and the sound is actually so different it's really centred.

Really happy with going to real mono cartridge. It really exceed my expectations

20180408_202532.jpg

Good to hear you are happy with the results.

It is one of those things you really do have to hear for yourself to understand.

really happy with the cost also. It's one cracker of value cartridge