Oppo 203 and 205

ufo

6 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

You’re a funny guy. ?  

Note that he already has a 103.   I won’t be touching 4K, too many 1080 panels in the house already.  Waiting for any number of those kimchi panels to fail!  ?

That’s right. I’ve got a 103 JLTI model. I love it, but not currently using the improved DAC features so was going to sell it on soon.

But I do like SACD ripping too. So it was either do a swap and keep a better picture 103 (if Darbee is better) or go 203 and get a cheaper Sony etc from a few years ago to do ripping.

9 hours ago, Raffinator said:

That’s right. I’ve got a 103 JLTI model. I love it, but not currently using the improved DAC features so was going to sell it on soon.

But I do like SACD ripping too. So it was either do a swap and keep a better picture 103 (if Darbee is better) or go 203 and get a cheaper Sony etc from a few years ago to do ripping.

Similar situation to me Raffinator in that I still have a JLTI level3 OPPO 83 spare , I just got a pana 900 that was FS here ;with the new models very close you may get a bargain ?️ .

That way you can  keep your 103 for sacd rips and similarly since your in no hurry pick and choose the best 4k player for your 4k tv when ready , the new panas will cover all the hdr formats not just some as at present ; its a bit of a lottery..

Edited by cwt

• 1 month later...

Oppo is definitely going to be delivering the Sony TV-friendly Dolby Vision update to its 4K Blu-ray players.

...a link to the page on Oppo Digital’s website where the update details and file will appear: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-60-0601B.aspx. Please note, though, that at the time of writing this link currently returns an error message, and will continue to do so until the update has been published. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/06/04/oppo-4k-blu-ray-players-to-get-sony-tv-dolby-vision-update-this-week/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

JSmith :ninja:

• 1 year later...

Hi. Has anyone tried Godzilla:King of Monsters on an Oppo 205 player (Latest firmware installed).  Mine won’t play the disc( Unknown disc error on screen). I took it back and exchanged the disc at JB to rule out a faulty disc today but the replacement is the same. Tried other 4K discs and they play without an issue. 

I also posted this in the 4K thread. 

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Hi Simon,4K disc played fine on my 203

cheers Muriwai 

Ok thanks for that. I guess my machine is very sensitive to some discs. I tried 3 other 4K discs that I own and they all play perfectly, even Thor 4K which I purchased today plays fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok So I finally had some time last night to go through my 4K collection and test every disc on the Oppo 205 and see which ones play and which ones dont, so out of 20 titles only 4 wont play (Unknown Disc Error).

The discs that wont play are:

1. Ready Player One

2. Godzilla: King of Monsters

3. Superman: The Movie (The original)

4. Deepwater Horizon

Discs that do play are:

1. Avengers 1,2 & Infinity War.

3. Wonderwomen

4. Mission Impossible: Fallout

5. John Wick 1-2

6. Bladerunner 2049

7. A Quiet Place

8. Superman: Man of Steel

9. Alita: Battle Angel

10. Justice League

Other than Godzilla: KOM those other 3 movies have all played perfectly in the past on the  latest Oppo firmware. The only thing that's changed is I have a JVC N5 4K projector and using a Blue Heaven high speed HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Anthem AVM-60 plus a Ruipro HDMI optical (the latest version) from the Anthem to the JVC, but when I purchased Godzilla:KOM, I had the JVC X-35 1080p projector and it wouldn't play then. So my question is the 4 titles that wont play are they exceeding the HDMI's data limits and would that influence and cause the "Unknown Disc Error" message? I cannot confirm wether the Blueheaven HDMI cable is 2.0 spec as even on the web it doesn't tell you. I purchased it 2nd from a member here but I have checked all the settings related to the tranmission of UHD and the HDMI setting in the Oppo to transmit 2.0 specs to the Anthem. There's nothing on the Anthem in the menu you can change in relation to 4K. Here are the lnks to the HDMI cables that I'm currently using:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-fibre-optic-cable-ruipro-8k-to-48gbps

http://audioconnection.com.au/products/nordost-blue-heaven-hdmi

This website covers the 2 types of 4K certification:

https://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-full-4k-product-certification

I hope someone on here can work this one out for me as I'm at a loss as to what is causing this issue. If it was the laser in the Oppo it wouldn't be reading all the 4K discs. Blueray also play back fine. I have unplugged the player and left it for an Hour did nothing but today I'll do a factory reset on the Oppo to rule that out as well.

Edited by SimonNo10

@SimonNo10 if you have oppo205 the native screen usually is at full bandwidth for 4k uhd isnt it ? if have appleTV it has a cable test as does xbox oneX these will easily confirm if a cable issue. 

what is the AVR going through ? the devices will test through it to confirm all is good. how long is the blue heaven ? if it is a concern is this worth swapping out with a monoprice premium certified cable of same length ? very affordably priced from amazon au...will eliminate one uncertainty

Try plugging the 205 directly into the Ruipro cable (obviously you'll only get video). That will narrow it down to whether it's a player issue or the Anthem/Nordost. I'd be very surprised if it's the Ruipro cable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, betty boop said:

@SimonNo10 if you have oppo205 the native screen usually is at full bandwidth for 4k uhd isnt it ? if have appleTV it has a cable test as does xbox oneX these will easily confirm if a cable issue. 

what is the AVR going through ? the devices will test through it to confirm all is good. how long is the blue heaven ? if it is a concern is this worth swapping out with a monoprice premium certified cable of same length ? very affordably priced from amazon au...will eliminate one uncertainty

So I changed in the Oppo settings under Output Resolution to Source Direct while just on the Oppo main screen and the resolution changed to 1920x1080p (50hz). On Auto it goes to Full 4K resolution 3840x2160 (50hz). I don’t have Apple TV. The Blueheaven cable is 1m and the HDMI from Projector to Anthrm (AVR) is the new Ruipro 8K Optical as per the link. 

Edited by SimonNo10

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

Try plugging the 205 directly into the Ruipro cable (obviously you'll only get video). That will narrow it down to whether it's a player issue or the Anthem/Nordost. I'd be very surprised if it's the Ruipro cable.

Ok I’ll try that. Good idea. 

1 minute ago, SimonNo10 said:

So I changed in the Oppo settings under Output Resolution to Source Direct while just on the Oppo main screen and the resolution changed to 1920x1080p (50hz). On Auto it goes to Full 4K resolution 3840x2160 (50hz). I don’t have Apple TV. The Blueheaven cable is 1m and the HDMI from Oppi to Anthrm (AVR) is the new Ruipro 8K Optical as per the link. 

yeah its auto was talking about I think because it pushes to full bandwidth if can pass that you should have no issues.

as mentioned if want to remove blue heaven from equation id just grab the mono price premium certified  $12 shipped free with amazon prime

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-115427-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKBWC/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=monoprice+premium+certified+3+feet+single&qid=1570498214&s=electronics&sr=1-2

or their ultra slim that is not much more and still premium certified.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-Certified-Premium-Ultra-Speed/dp/B074FCPFV8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=monoprice+premium+certified+3+feet+single&qid=1570498214&s=electronics&sr=1-1

or the slim line version 

Ok So I did as Quark suggested and just connected the Ruipro to the Main HDMI Output on the Oppo and tried Ready Player One and got the same error, so it's not a cable issue. I did some digging online and checked the specs on the disc and its a Triplke Layer UHD 100 disc as is Godzilla: KOM. But I checked one of the discs that does work and it's also a triple layer. The funny thing is all 4 discs that dont work are all Village roadshow. 

Anyway I'll contact Audio Trends where I purchased it from and let them know the issues I'm having and have it looked at. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimonNo10 said:

Ok So I did as Quark suggested and just connected the Ruipro to the Main HDMI Output on the Oppo and tried Ready Player One and got the same error, so it's not a cable issue. I did some digging online and checked the specs on the disc and its a Triplke Layer UHD 100 disc as is Godzilla: KOM. But I checked one of the discs that does work and it's also a triple layer. The funny thing is all 4 discs that dont work are all Village roadshow. 

Anyway I'll contact Audio Trends where I purchased it from and let them know the issues I'm having and have it looked at. 

indeed, probably enough enough with the thing id suggest ! :) clearly some issue... hopefully oppo are communicative and can quickly resolve :) 

• Thanks 1

Ide put money on the Blue heaven being hdmi 1.4 Simon as they always make a big deal about 1.4 having the bandwidth to handle frame packed 3d ie its specs says

Passes picture perfect 3D signals and enhanced audio

Doesn't help or the ruipro by itself would have shown the bottleneck but still theres a problem ; the discs aren't higher bandwidth like Billy Lynes HTW 4k/60 so not that either.. Village Roadshow coincidentally I found is going through some issues;) https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/family-behind-village-roadshow-in-feud-over-company-s-future-20190114-p50r7l.html 

Village Roadshow was forced last year to write down to zero its investment in Hollywood film production house Village Roadshow Pictures even though it has been responsible for blockbuster movies including Ocean’s 8, The Lego Movie, The Great Gatsby and Zoolander.

Village Roadshow Pictures, after a period of financial difficulty, is now controlled by American private equity outfits Vine Alternative Investments and Falcon Investment Advisors.

Thanks cwt. I spoke to Interdyn and they suggested changing the resolution on the Oppo to force 1080p and try a problem disc to rule out the processor and I still got the “Unknown Disc” error. Yeah I’m thinking the Blueheaven is 1.4 spec as well. 

The only thing left to try is replacing the Blueheaven with a 2.0 HDMI as Al suggested, it’s the option left before sending it to Interdyn. It’s still under warranty, but as you mentioned the discs aren’t higher bandwidth. 

I just had a thought. The HDMI cable that came with the Oppo, would that be 2.0 Spec?

Edited by SimonNo10

4 hours ago, SimonNo10 said:

I just had a thought. The HDMI cable that came with the Oppo, would that be 2.0 Spec?

Its listed as a certified premium hi speed cable and it would be un oppo not to handle 18gbps easily:) If that doesn't help Ide try switching the edids on the JVC ; though unlikely to be the culprit as the discs worked before ? Worth a try with HDMI being so well  engineered.. :winky:

guys you know not using oppo 205 for a while with the pana 9000 as main player...

well fired the oppo 205 for some use last night.... gosh in use its a much better player ... remote ... also the menus and info and facilities are SO much more extensive and better than the pana.... in some ways i miss the 205 in use... thinking of moving it back from 2ch side to av side. but then i have set it up, that though in the 2ch side I can still use it for av with a long HDMI. so maybe i will just use it more often... i do have some non oz region blu-rays in any case....so will use on the oppo in coming weeks am sure. 

Hi Simon,

I don't see how this can be a cable issue as the playback would still occur and the disk playback counter would begin to clock up you just would drop video if it were a HDMI / bandwidth issue.
I say that because I had this issue just over a year ago when I transitioned projectors and I'd get a black screen from the PJ but the disk would play. I just got no picture.
I had to drop to 1080p or force the UHD but drop specs like colour bit rate, etc.

Until I changed the HDMI cable and hey presto, finally my Oppo lit up the HDR signal and I got full 4k up to my 60hz or 50hz.

I have most of the titles you list below and never have I had an issue with my UDP-205.
It plays every disk and hasn't locked up in probably 9 months... It's running a dream and was the very first 205 Video Pro sold in QLD.

I have let it download firmware but I must admit it has been a little while since...
Happy to check the version for you and compare to what mine is on?

I have seen the error message you've seen on mine but not for a long, long time and I can play any and every disk first shot.

Ok So I finally had some time last night to go through my 4K collection and test every disc on the Oppo 205 and see which ones play and which ones dont, so out of 20 titles only 4 wont play (Unknown Disc Error).

The discs that wont play are:

1. Ready Player One
2. Godzilla: King of Monsters
3. Superman: The Movie (The original)
4. Deepwater Horizon

Discs that do play are:

1. Avengers 1,2 & Infinity War.
3. Wonderwomen
4. Mission Impossible: Fallout
5. John Wick 1-2
6. Bladerunner 2049
7. A Quiet Place
8. Superman: Man of Steel
9. Alita: Battle Angel
10. Justice League

Other than Godzilla: KOM those other 3 movies have all played perfectly in the past on the  latest Oppo firmware. The only thing that's changed is I have a JVC N5 4K projector and using a Blue Heaven high speed HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Anthem AVM-60 plus a Ruipro HDMI optical (the latest version) from the Anthem to the JVC, but when I purchased Godzilla:KOM, I had the JVC X-35 1080p projector and it wouldn't play then. So my question is the 4 titles that wont play are they exceeding the HDMI's data limits and would that influence and cause the "Unknown Disc Error" message? I cannot confirm wether the Blueheaven HDMI cable is 2.0 spec as even on the web it doesn't tell you. I purchased it 2nd from a member here but I have checked all the settings related to the tranmission of UHD and the HDMI setting in the Oppo to transmit 2.0 specs to the Anthem. There's nothing on the Anthem in the menu you can change in relation to 4K. Here are the lnks to the HDMI cables that I'm currently using:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-fibre-optic-cable-ruipro-8k-to-48gbps
http://audioconnection.com.au/products/nordost-blue-heaven-hdmi

This website covers the 2 types of 4K certification:

https://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-full-4k-product-certification

I hope someone on here can work this one out for me as I'm at a loss as to what is causing this issue. If it was the laser in the Oppo it wouldn't be reading all the 4K discs. Blueray also play back fine. I have unplugged the player and left it for an Hour did nothing but today I'll do a factory reset on the Oppo to rule that out as well.

4 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Hi Simon,

I don't see how this can be a cable issue as the playback would still occur and the disk playback counter would begin to clock up you just would drop video if it were a HDMI / bandwidth issue.
I say that because I had this issue just over a year ago when I transitioned projectors and I'd get a black screen from the PJ but the disk would play. I just got no picture.
I had to drop to 1080p or force the UHD but drop specs like colour bit rate, etc.

Until I changed the HDMI cable and hey presto, finally my Oppo lit up the HDR signal and I got full 4k up to my 60hz or 50hz.

I have most of the titles you list below and never have I had an issue with my UDP-205.
It plays every disk and hasn't locked up in probably 9 months... It's running a dream and was the very first 205 Video Pro sold in QLD.

I have let it download firmware but I must admit it has been a little while since...
Happy to check the version for you and compare to what mine is on?

I have seen the error message you've seen on mine but not for a long, long time and I can play any and every disk first shot.

Ok thanks for the reply.