Oppo 203 and 205

ufo

Are the issues that made almost every trail blazer who bought Oppo 203or 205 regret their decision all fixed now or there are still issues with it?

Will be in the market for a 4K player soon but been out of touch with the market for about a year and would like to know what's the latest situation is.

Edited by ufo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a buyer of the very first Oppo 205 Video Pro got at their distribution centre as I basically pre ordered. 

Every now and then it will randomly freeze but otherwise it is flawless for my use. And that freezing is rare... Never during a film. Only menu

Largely noticeable audio improvement from the 105-D I had (I run the analogue outputs) 

9 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

I was a buyer of the very first Oppo 205 Video Pro got at their distribution centre as I basically pre ordered. 

Every now and then it will randomly freeze but otherwise it is flawless for my use. And that freezing is rare... Never during a film. Only menu

neilsy that is not good on the freezing. random and rare probably wouldn't help pin down. ive had no freezes thank goodness ! that would drive me nuts ! 

have you logged the issue with oppo local ? i have found their direct technical help pretty good. (indirect is cr@p) :D 

good to hear of the benefit going up from the 105 :)

6 hours ago, :) al said:

neilsy that is not good on the freezing. random and rare probably wouldn't help pin down. ive had no freezes thank goodness ! that would drive me nuts ! 

have you logged the issue with oppo local ? i have found their direct technical help pretty good. (indirect is cr@p) :D 

good to hear of the benefit going up from the 105 :)

There are regular firmware and I dare say they are fixing it. When I say rare it is quite rare. Probably only 6 times in my whole time owning... I definitely will do something about it if it occurs continually I'd say but it has been a long time between drinks 

• Like 1

I’ve heard the 95 modded by Modwright before and it does sound spectacular.

It isn’t a simple mod. It’s not a simple clock chip mod or an op amp mod. That external tube PSU circuit is pretty damn special and I think it adds a lot to how it sounds.

And the new 205 is IMHO a huge step up from the 105D that came before. I reckon it’s my new go to DAC before the Qutest if you want an all in one spinner too. That Roon network streamer is also a great addition.

So I imagine the Modwright modded version is going to sound spectacular.

My only issue with the Modwright Oppos have always been this. How long do you keep your video disc players? I’ve swapped the old 83 for an 83SE, then a 95, then a 103, then a 203, then a 205. And it does beg a question of whether it makes sense to spend more on the mod than the player- a lot more. I know of a guy who had just gotten his 105 modded then the 105D was announced. That must have hurt. Especially when the 105D added DSD functionality on the USB port - something that would have benefited from the Modwright mod.

YMMV

• Like 2

I fully agree with you doggiehowser

Chasing the latest VP is crazy expensive and the technology moves so fast you are buying every year or two.

Even worse when its an AVR as you lose your ease of switching functionality when you go to an outboard VP solution 

I really like oppos - always great bang for buck

On 3/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, Sime said:

This review does touch on some issues I raised about the ever shorter cycle of video disc players. 

In its current form, the 205 does pretty much everything except:

a. no MQA over Roon (only via Music player app)

b. no DSD over Roon

Sadly both are important to me and I expect to many who want to use the Roon over network functionality. To be fair, Oppo never really promised either Roon or MQA when the 20x series was announced so I guess we cant really fault them for the lack of full MQA/DSD support on Roon. 

Don't forget there is a current Dolby Vision brouhaha. Dolby recently introduced a new framework for Dolby Vision encoding which places more processing on the video player than on the display - first introduced on the Sony Xtreme processing displays like the A1 OLED and ZD9 FALD. This has meant Dolby Vision compatible devices have had to be updated. AppleTV 4K's firmware 11.3 (now in beta) apparently already fixes this. But Oppo has not addressed or responded to this. 

And with the newly introduced HDR10+ format, it is likely a 30x series might soon be released. 

Don't get me wrong - the Oppo is a superb sounding player - and these new advances in video compatibility is par for the course for any new disc format. I remember going to Profile 1.0 players to Profile 1.1 to Profile 2.0 BDPs, then 3D compatible etc etc. 

I expect I will upgrade again when the 30x series is launched. But I doubt I would dare splurge 3x the price of the Oppo 205 for the Modwright mod unless all I cared about was audio disc playback. 

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, DoggieHowser said:

My only issue with the Modwright Oppos have always been this. How long do you keep your video disc players? I’ve swapped the old 83 for an 83SE, then a 95, then a 103, then a 203, then a 205. And it does beg a question of whether it makes sense to spend more on the mod than the player- a lot more.

Yes DH ; I haven't tried the latest mods by Joe Rasmussen at customanalogue but he does make a good point about his oppo upgrades - 

Players only lasts so long, but the add-on parts are as valuable as the player itself, often more. The Terra Firma Lite module, the I/V Converter module and QuadFilar transformers are all re-usable in your next player. You are truly investing in the future with your first upgraded player.

Dolby recently introduced a new framework for Dolby Vision encoding which places more processing on the video player than on the display

Fantastic ; I sincerely hope the new panas dv will be compatible with this moving target :ohmy: Oppo will have to match pana's hdr10+ capability one way or another ; maybe bring back the streaming services for amazons hdr10+..

17 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

How much do you save reusing those mods? As far as I know the parts aren’t reusable on the Modwright mod - except maybe the external power supply.

Joe has made many modifications since the bdp83 but the important ones like the terra firma clocking module and others based on how far you want to go with the upgrade will determine this. Best to talk with him though as we know the new 205 has a new lower jitter clock than the 105 etc :) This will give you some idea of his mods ;

http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html

He has had a long standing association with Vacuum State btw 

http://www.vacuumstate.com/index.dna?rubrik=18&lang=2

The high price Oppo mods are really only beneficial if you want to use Oppo for a high quality audio source via analog outputs. To improve the Video performance and image quality, you need to ditch the SMPS powering the digital circuits in both the Oppo 203 and 205. ( 205 linear psu is for analog audio circuits only)

I upgraded mine the other day with a premium psu from Oppomod - using Schottky diodes and Nichicon caps

e8b35acda4af1235d405a261ee72713e.jpg

8a885da8d2c606f1c739e268dd6a6982.jpg

6e69d44754e1d59e59d66e356004fe33.jpg

• Like 1

Psu can be used for both Oppo 205 and 203, but you can’t use analog outputs on 203 since there is no analog psu like the one in 205. I have separate audio system and only use this as a digital AV platform. PQ does improve which is no surprise to those who understand the effect of electrical noise ( caused by SMPS) on digital audio and video streams.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Opinion sought please.

I have a HD TV (not 4K) and probably not upgrading for a while. 

Which would you recommend for picture quality with standard blu-ray?

103 Darbee edition, or 203?

id skip the darbee version for starters... not worth it. 

if considering 4k at some stage... id get the 203

otherwise if just wanting blu-ray and happy to add a yumcha/kimchi uhd player down the track then just grab a 103(non darbee edition)

6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Yumcha/kimchi UHD???

take your pick samsung/LG/sony/panasonic basically any box mover type special. probably something he'll get thrown in the deal if when/where he buys his 4k telly from :)

4 hours ago, :) al said:

take your pick samsung/LG/sony/panasonic basically any box mover type special. probably something he'll get thrown in the deal if when/where he buys his 4k telly from :)

You’re a funny guy. ?  

Note that he already has a 103.   I won’t be touching 4K, too many 1080 panels in the house already.  Waiting for any number of those kimchi panels to fail!  ?