LHH

Which 12v power supply?

About six months ago I picked up an RME Babyface Pro audio interface to use with my desktop system. I've been absolutely delighted with it. It's been a long time since I've run across a DAC I've enjoyed as much, and I'll be adding the new RME ADI-2 DAC to my main system at some point. (As an aside,  the Babyface Pro is a DS DAC, and is riddled with opamps, which just goes to show that implementation is what matters.) 

At the moment the Babyface Pro is running on USB power (which it does astonishingly well), but I've been wondering what sort of improvement I'd get if I used an external power supply (the Babyface Pro has a 12v dc input). 

I'd like a single unit (no box plus transformer brick), and have been considering the Teddy Pardo 12/2. I've also considered getting something a little cheaper and adding the iFi DC iPurifier. Or even just getting the iFi iPower. I'd love some advice! What have you tried, and what would you recommend? (Will be used in NZ so needs to be compatible with 230v/50hz.)

Thanks for your help. :-) 

3 minutes ago, LHH said:

About six months ago I picked up an RME Babyface Pro audio interface to use with my desktop system. I've been absolutely delighted with it. It's been a long time since I've run across a DAC I've enjoyed as much, and I'll be adding the new RME ADI-2 DAC to my main system at some point. (As an aside,  the Babyface Pro is a DS DAC, and is riddled with opamps, which just goes to show that implementation is what matters.) 

At the moment the Babyface Pro is running on USB power (which it does astonishingly well), but I've been wondering what sort of improvement I'd get if I used an external power supply (the Babyface Pro has a 12v dc input). 

I'd like a single unit (no box plus transformer brick), and have been considering the Teddy Pardo 12/2. I've also considered getting something a little cheaper and adding the iFi DC iPurifier. Or even just getting the iFi iPower. I'd love some advice! What have you tried, and what would you recommend? (Will be used in NZ so needs to be compatible with 230v/50hz.)

Thanks for your help. :-) 

I would thoroughly recommend a 12v Sbooster (linear) PS.

I use a 12v Sbooster on my miniDSP (which improved the sound significantly!) and I now use a 24v one for my 'Muse' phono stage (instead of SLAs - delivering slightly better dynamics).  Absolute Hi End is the A/NZ distributor - you can contact them here:  [email protected]

Andy

1 hour ago, LHH said:

I'd like a single unit (no box plus transformer brick), and have been considering the Teddy Pardo 12/2.

If you can get past your preference for a single unit, try the Gieseler PSU

Clay is also a nice guy to deal with.

Has anyone tried the Channel Islands Audio VDC12 mkII? 

The LH Labs Geek LPS4 should also be considered. I have several of them taking the place of wall warts. Very versatile unit. 

LPS4.jpg

17 hours ago, PicoWattson said:

The LH Labs Geek LPS4 should also be considered. I have several of them taking the place of wall warts. Very versatile unit. 

Are these still available, I can't find any mention of them on the LH Labs site?

On 13/02/2018 at 9:06 AM, Snoopy8 said:

If you can get past your preference for a single unit, try the Gieseler PSU

Clay is also a nice guy to deal with.

+1 for Clays power supplies.  Great guy to 

I can recommend this unit as it is relatively cheap and performs admirably. I have also compared it with a few other LPS’s (including one mentioned above) and it provided a superior sound using it with a Tortuga preamp and SMS-200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-END-100VA-Linear-Power-Supply-DC12V-5A-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-for-Audio-L163-33/111944028903?hash=item1a106252e7:g:Ky4AAOSwXj5XGJlz

I decided to go with a Teddy Pardo 12/2. I couldn't find a single negative review of TP's power supplies.  I also like the form factor, and appreciate the CE certification. 

It should be with me in about three weeks I guess. I will report back once I've got a handle on how it performs.