Sign in to follow this  
PorkBun69s

Altered Carbon (Netflix)

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have enjoyed The Expanse - I read the books first, and I have watched a couple of Altered Carbon and it is shaping up to be just as good or better.    I am also enjoying their Startrek Discovery.   Keep it up Netflix :thumb:

I struggled with the expanse and it wasn't until halfway through the second series that I started enjoying it. 

Altered Carbon IMO is much better.  I also liked Discovery too, although I thought the ending of Series 1 was wrapped up too quickly and easily.   

I was captivated by the book (all the way back to 2002 when it first appeared) and by this series.  While I think the acting is decent, it can be better. But the captivating thing is the idea behind the story - if you get into it, the idea (much like Matrix) becomes limitless in the directions it can go and the moral issues it generates.  It also allows very interesting acting opportunities.  For example, there was a lot of praise for the grandma actor.

1 hour ago, Runaway said:

It also allows very interesting acting opportunities.  For example, there was a lot of praise for the grandma actor.

Just watched that episode. Brilliant!

8 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just watched that episode. Brilliant!

My favourite line of the show “Hey kids, I can pee standing up!”

Watched AC first EP' in two parts as I found it a tad tedious.

Good enough for me to give a few more EP's air and see if it grabs me to keep going.

I'm about 4 episodes in and that's it, I'm out. Terrible acting/writing letting down a great concept and obviously a big budget. I just can't get into it as much as I try. It's also obviously shot in digital and has a very polished look to the point of looking fake. Maybe that is on purpose to strengthen the idea of multiple "sleeves" but not for me...

Altered Carbon is rare scifi tv that is as good as its written novels.  The series is even better the third time around! lol.  I hope it gets multiple seasons.

I'm eager to find out how closely they follow the second and third books.  By casting Anthony Mackie they seem to be following things quite closely, at least as far as my memory goes, it has been many years since I read the books.  Perhaps a re-read may be in order.