Altered Carbon (Netflix)

• Volunteer
On 13/02/2018 at 6:04 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Morgan's Kovacs trilogy starts strongly with Altered Carbon and gets better with every book. It's a superb achievement. Why he later tried his hand at fantasy, I have no idea. Mind you, after selling the rights to AC he never had to work again.

I have been looking forward to seeing Altered Carbon filmed or televised, and the positive reviews here encourage me further. But I am squeamish, I watch so little TV that violent scenes stay etched in my mind: so I avoid that sort of thing. What's the view on the violence in AC?

there's a decent amount of violence, the book is violent so I don't think its gratuitous (but there certainly is quite a lot of it)

regarding Morgan's books, I agree the Kovacs trilogy is brilliant (and for those who are struggling with the TV series I'd still highly recommend reading the books).

The fantasy stuff is good but not in the same league. I do like his twist on the genre (having the main protagonist being gay)

I used to read his blog too. I picked up some really good book recommendations from there. Worth a look

I turned on the subtitles ;)

On 16/02/2018 at 12:04 AM, Bilbo said:

I found it very confusing and had difficulty working out what was going on for the first few episodes.  I also thought the audio was quite muffled and had to replay some scenes to catch the dialogue.  It seemed like they were all mumbling!

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have enjoyed The Expanse - I read the books first, and I have watched a couple of Altered Carbon and it is shaping up to be just as good or better.    I am also enjoying their Startrek Discovery.   Keep it up Netflix :thumb:

I struggled with the expanse and it wasn't until halfway through the second series that I started enjoying it. 

Altered Carbon IMO is much better.  I also liked Discovery too, although I thought the ending of Series 1 was wrapped up too quickly and easily.   

Guest Runaway

I was captivated by the book (all the way back to 2002 when it first appeared) and by this series.  While I think the acting is decent, it can be better. But the captivating thing is the idea behind the story - if you get into it, the idea (much like Matrix) becomes limitless in the directions it can go and the moral issues it generates.  It also allows very interesting acting opportunities.  For example, there was a lot of praise for the grandma actor.

Guest Runaway
8 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just watched that episode. Brilliant!

My favourite line of the show “Hey kids, I can pee standing up!”

Guest Muon N'

Watched AC first EP' in two parts as I found it a tad tedious.

Good enough for me to give a few more EP's air and see if it grabs me to keep going.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about 4 episodes in and that's it, I'm out. Terrible acting/writing letting down a great concept and obviously a big budget. I just can't get into it as much as I try. It's also obviously shot in digital and has a very polished look to the point of looking fake. Maybe that is on purpose to strengthen the idea of multiple "sleeves" but not for me...

• 6 months later...

I'm eager to find out how closely they follow the second and third books.  By casting Anthony Mackie they seem to be following things quite closely, at least as far as my memory goes, it has been many years since I read the books.  Perhaps a re-read may be in order.