Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Blade Runner meets Game of Thrones!

Geez! talking about dangling a carrot!

Two of my favorite things :) Edit: as in two of my favorite movies and series.

Edited by Muon N'

I'll have to wait, my wife is watching all of the Flash at the moment, I think it is 6 seasons and she has just started season 3.  :(

If I watch it on my PC she will ask why I didn't wait and watch it with her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Batty said:

I'll have to wait, my wife is watching all of the Flash at the moment, I think it is 6 seasons and she has just started season 3.  :(

If I watch it on my PC she will ask why I didn't wait and watch it with her.

I watched all of season 1 over the weekend.  Will watch it again with the missus when her reality dating shows are over in the coming months.

Morgan's Kovacs trilogy starts strongly with Altered Carbon and gets better with every book. It's a superb achievement. Why he later tried his hand at fantasy, I have no idea. Mind you, after selling the rights to AC he never had to work again.

I have been looking forward to seeing Altered Carbon filmed or televised, and the positive reviews here encourage me further. But I am squeamish, I watch so little TV that violent scenes stay etched in my mind: so I avoid that sort of thing. What's the view on the violence in AC?

Episode 5 in - not much violence. Some nudity - full frontal male if you are easily offended. 

I seem to recall Robocop being more bloody. The original, not the Joel one

I know everyone sees the Blade Runner reference - but I kinda see it as the Elijah Baley for the new generation. 

On the face of it, the Elijah Baley stories were cop stories - but with an interesting take on ethics and morality and of science itself. Really loved how the Empire and Foundation series eventually tied in with the Baley ones. 

Seriously!? Probably I am the only person didn’t get this and find it a complete bore!

I haven’t read the book and it took me three seatings to finish episode 1. I got back to finished EP1 only because of my friends kept saying how good this show really is and I should give it another chance.

Well, I have given it another two more chances. For the little bits I have seen, while the production is polished, the badly written dialogues and C grade acting from almost all the actors are really hard to take. Everyone is saying the lines without real emotion and conviction! Especially the lead actor, it is super agonising to watch.

Well someone here have compared this to Blade Runner. If you thought Ryan Gosling’s acting was wooden. The lead actor here is really dull to the max!

The fight scenes were also badly staged and seemed lazy. I really want to see how the story pans out but it is really agonising for me to watch another episode...

I am really baffled everyone else is so into this, to me, badly made sitcom... Perhaps the special effects are the only good thing...

Ok just shoot me! [emoji6]

50 minutes ago, Slave2TheRhythm said:

Seriously!? Probably I am the only person didn’t get this and find it a complete bore!

I haven’t read the book and it took me three seatings to finish episode 1. I got back to finished EP1 only because of my friends kept saying how good this show really is and I should give it another chance.

Well, I have given it another two more chances. For the little bits I have seen, while the production is polished, the badly written dialogues and C grade acting from almost all the actors are really hard to take. Everyone is saying the lines without real emotion and conviction! Especially the lead actor, it is super agonising to watch.

Well someone here have compared this to Blade Runner. If you thought Ryan Gosling’s acting was wooden. The lead actor here is really dull to the max!

The fight scenes were also badly staged and seemed lazy. I really want to see how the story pans out but it is really agonising for me to watch another episode...

I am really baffled everyone else is so into this, to me, badly made sitcom... Perhaps the special effects are the only good thing...

Ok just shoot me! emoji6.png

Well its not a show for everyone.  I don't dig sci-fi shows but this one IMO is one of the better shows around at the moment.  Watched it with the missus and she said that it had too much flesh.  In the shows defence, I said that maybe in the future nudity isn't a biggie, which makes sense considering how many shows had gratitious nudity 50 years ago compared to now.  And since this show treats human bodies like 'car's, hence just confirms the above.

4 hours ago, Batty said:

Took me 2 attempts at Episode 1, much preferred The Expanse.

I too am not a avid TV addict.

This one's up there with the Expanse and Colony.  Cant wait for the 3rd seasons for both to kick off soon.  Tried to watch the new Star Trek Discovery, and i'm still trying to complete Ep 2, no rush here for this one.

6 hours ago, shogo33 said:

Well its not a show for everyone.  I don't dig sci-fi shows but this one IMO is one of the better shows around at the moment.  Watched it with the missus and she said that it had too much flesh.  In the shows defence, I said that maybe in the future nudity isn't a biggie, which makes sense considering how many shows had gratitious nudity 50 years ago compared to now.  And since this show treats human bodies like 'car's, hence just confirms the above.

Nothing wrong with a bit of flesh shown.  :)  This is nothing compared to the quantity shown on Spartacus the Series.

6 hours ago, shogo33 said:

Sounds fair to me.

I haven't watched it................but having read the synopsis.............I think I might............in the future.

I found it very confusing and had difficulty working out what was going on for the first few episodes.  I also thought the audio was quite muffled and had to replay some scenes to catch the dialogue.  It seemed like they were all mumbling!

• Like 1