Sign in to follow this  
kukynas

60/40 coffee beans recommendation

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for recommendation for 60/40 coffee beans, my all favorite Lavazza Gran Aroma Bar is no longer produced and all replacements I tried so far were either too sour or too bitter and none of them with that nice chocolate flavor so that's why I'm looking for mix 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta medium to high roasted

So far I've been able to find potential candidates:

- Cafedirect Original Espresso

- Mokarico Columbia

- Vergnano Gran Aroma

if you have any experience with above or any other brand please let me know

thanks

Daniel

Just now, Krispy Audio said:

You wouldn't go 100% Arabica? 

Thought the same myself.

I really wonder why anyone would want 40% Robusta.

Yukky.

The bad news about packet coffee is that because coffee gives off carbon dioxide for about a week after roasting it must be older than that BEFORE commercial packing. This means it is usually stale before it's packed. Even if it's aged in an inert atmosphere it will go stale very quickly after opening.

I'd suggest you try and find a local roaster rather than relying on packet coffee.  A local roaster can let you have it while it's still fresh.

I also agree that 40% robusta makes it highly caffeinated (bitter) and lower in actual taste. The 'chocolate' flavours come through best when the beans are roasted just to the beginning of "second crack". At this stage the beans are darkish brown and just BEGINNING to get a sheen from the coffee oils (not black and oily). Lighter roasts often come across as sour.

Good luck.

p.s.--How do you make your coffee?

Edited by GregWormald

why not 100% Arabica? I haven't found one which isn't sour, may be I wasn't looking enough? I'm kind of picky when it comes to sour taste, that's why the mix with Robusta to get rid off the acidity...

once we open the pack it's stored in the fridge and we use only minimum (for each day) within machine, that's what I've been told to do

I haven't looked yet for local roaster so this might be an option but not sure how often I'll be able to get it fresh 

I know about bitter taste of Robusta which I'm kind of used to from the past, not saying it's good or better than Arabica but better than sour taste I'm getting from it at the moment

via machine Delonghi ECAM 650.75

Edited by kukynas
just added the acidity part

The DeLonghi should be able to make quite a good espresso.:) 

I also dislike the acidity and prefer my coffee made really short and aim for about a 40ml double (doppio ristretto) in 20 seconds. I often have a good splash of steamed milk. (That makes it a caffè macchiato.)

If you add milk then sourness can be accentuated, and increasing the temperature of the machine can be a compensation.

Unfortunately fridging fresh coffee 'dumbs down' the flavour. I recommend one of the valved coffee bags with the air squished out and then placed in a cool dark place. Put only enough beans for the current run into the machine 'cause heat and air are enemies of flavour.

Getting everything right takes some work and experimenting but a "god shot" makes it all worthwhile.:wub:

yes it does :)

I tried several types of Arabica, from different countries with different level of roasting (even those overpriced exotic cat excrement's) , some of them were less sour than others but always too much for my taste so that's why I started with mix, I tried pretty much every combination on the market, 80/20, 70/30, 50/50 (was too bitter) but always went back to 60/40, with medium roast and 80% intensity and the outcome was less acidity from Arabica and little bit bitter from Robusta so kind of balanced

I'm drinking mostly macchiato with my wife during the day, espresso only for morning, milk definitely attenuate the acidity but only up to certain level, I could still feel it with 100% Arabica, may be I'm just weird :blink: .... higher temperature? by how much?

it's stored in the sealed bag and yes only amount needed for the day is in the machine, I will try different storage conditions but first I need to find suitable coffee beans :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, kukynas said:

I could still feel it with 100% Arabica, may be I'm just weird :blink: .... higher temperature? by how much?

Just find what you like and stick to it. Yeah--easy to say.:lol:

All IMO--

The "new wave" of roasting is very light, very sour, (they call it 'bright') and generally not suitable for espresso. The "new wavers" are fonder of siphons and Japanese cloth filters, even though the majority of drinkers don't use these methods. 

Some of the south and central American beans have a higher acidity and have been known to sell for up to $700/kilo.

The best low acidity beans come from Yemen, Ethiopia and Indonesia.The famed "mocha-java" blend is an example of this. Indian monsoon malabar is also nice. These need to be roasted enough to bring out the chocolate flavours but not dark enough to get the 'burnt' flavours. I now roast my own to get what I like.

Try upping the water temperature by 2-3°C and see how that goes. You can keep increasing until the flavour deteriorates. Some experts (NOT ME) can actually taste 1°C differences.

Good espresso is hard to find even though Australia has a very high standard now. Beans are the same. That's why I roast.

I frequently hear "best coffee ever" from friends and guests.

you just gave me another headache :lol: but thanks for that as I've learned something new...

I can imagine, to find good espresso with taste you require takes time and effort, lot of try/fail and at the end you might end up tweaking it to your liking because there aren't perfect beans...

today I had a call with few of the local roasters and got some information including some recommendations

most of it has been already confirmed by you

1. there's no Arabica without acidity, level might be anywhere between 1 and 5 (local levels, might be differently measured elsewhere)

2. if I want coffee completely without sour taste I have to mix with Robusta (80/20, 70/30 etc. depends on preferences) to tame down the acidity

3. best coffee should be anywhere between 14-30 days after roasting

4. for first 7 days it'll produce CO2 so should be packed in the back with air valve (should be standard for coffee packaging these days)

5. it should be stored in the dark place preferably in zip bag or similar

recommended coffee I can get locally with acidity level 1 and chocolate flavor:

BRASIL YELLOW B. FAZENDA DA LAGOA (region Sul de Minas, Yellow Bourbon breed)

BRASIL SANTOS NY2 (region Sao Paulo, Bourbon breed)

BRASIL SOUTH OF MINAS (region Sul de Minas, Bourbon breed)

recommended coffee with acidity level 2 and chocolate flavor:

PERU ANDES

JAVA JAMPIT

COSTA RICA FINCA EL ROSARIO - Micro Lots

MEXICO MARAGOGYPE BARRANCO HAND

PERU SANTA CRUZ HONEY

and many more...

everything roasted locally, I'm gonna try Level 1, if it's still too much I will mix as previously

13 hours ago, kukynas said:

everything roasted locally, I'm gonna try Level 1, if it's still too much I will mix as previously

Sounds good mate. 

If you were in Australia I'd mail you a bag of my home roast low acid, but it'd be stale before it got to Brno.

I suggest you try a batch you like every couple of days, letting it age to decide when YOU like it.

(I like my coffee between 4 days and 3 weeks from roasting, but there are some that take two weeks to mature.)

(Coffeesnobs.com.au has some very interesting discussions for coffee aficionados.)

thanks for your offer and help mate, really appreciate it ;)

I ordered those 3 samples so will try it once it arrives...

I just roasted some Costa Rican beans and although I didn't find them acidic, I found them a little bland as well. For me, Ethiopia is the land of sweetness. Specifically the Gambella region. If you can source some, worth trying for sure. 

I like the Sidamo, the Limu can be a bit 'fresh'. Both (for me) need to be darker than the photo. At their best both can remind me of a dark chocolate fruit cake.

Yirgacheffe is very popular but it's not usually my style.

I don't know the Djimmah.

those 3 samples arrived so will give them few days to chill out but I'm tempted already :drool:

couldn't resist so tried one cup of each today and none of them is ideal, yellow bourbon was best but still with higher acidity than I like, second Santos was similar but with more nuts taste than chocolate, last South of Minas was too fruity with higher acidity than previous two so no go, will give them another few days for final judgment, all of them are medium roasted in color similar to "light city" where all of my previous attempts were roasted with "full city" or even "full city +" color so I might ask them to roast it differently and try the yellow bourbon again...  

I had a coffee out today from some beans that I know I like. Unfortunately they've started roasting them so light that it was almost undrinkable. 

Roasting is really important!

I would say so :)

I won't get it darker roasted unless I buy 5kg of it :( so will keep looking for other makers...  

When I was in Vancouver the beans were all roasted oily and close to black. All I could taste in most places was "burnt".:(

PM me your address and I'll see about getting small batch to you. (I've done it for Canadian friends and rellies and they've liked them.)  Even if they arrive a bit stale you might be able to tell if that roast level suits. Fortunately colour is a fairly good indicator of roast depth.

Greg is a mega coffee guy, his knowledge just kills me. 

1 minute ago, Batty said:

Greg is a mega coffee guy, his knowledge just kills me. 

all good, as long as his coffee does not:lol:

thanks Greg for your offer, really appreciate it and I will definitely abuse it :) 

just ordered couple of other samples so hopefully I'll be able to pick from one of those

In relation to drinking with a higher robusta content , it's just what one gets used to.

People that get accustomed to it may find it a little to difficult accepting the acidity found without it.

Only recently I have lightened on if my blends only to find that the increased sourness is not to my liking at all.