Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
swervyn

Using 2 AVR's - noob question

Recommended Posts

Hi all, just wondering if there is any reason not to use a second AVR as a power amplifier? Or can it even be done for that matter.

 

Reason being: I have a small cheapy Yamaha AVR RX-V379 which was a "I need it now purchase" bought there & then in 2016 when I got a 4k tv and 4K uhd player.

 

My old AVR had no HDMI and I wanted 4K passthrough, fast forward a couple of years and still have the same cheapy AVR. ho hum..

 

Going through a slow update process and have since got a "decent" centre speaker, B&W HTM 61 S2 but finding it "shouty"? I think that is the terminology.

 

So wondering if I can use my old AVR (RX-V659) as a separate amp and use it to drive the centre speaker only?

 

My other speakers are small and think they would be ok on the cheapy amp but open to suggestions. 

 

I guess it is more of a temporary fix (probably another 2 years haha) to try to get a better sound from the centre speaker until the next upgrade comes along as finances dictate. - will a larger amp provide a better sound?

 

If it is possible to do, is it a case of an RCA cable from the pre out (centre) of the cheapy amp, to the centre input of the older, more powerful amp, and then the centre speaker wires connect to the terminals on the older amp?

 

Sorry if this sounds easy, but not something I have done before.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the 379 even have a pre out for the centre channel?

All I can see is subwoofer pre out, which is a different beast altogether.

 

I've never used it, but you could try to plug in this device to the 379 centre channel speaker outs and the other end to the 659 input. You can even use L or R input on the 659 as long as you connect the speaker to the same channel. Hell, you could even plug in both sets of wires into the centre speaker out and drive both L&R channels of the 659 with it - that would allow you to bi-amp the speaker.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from your rxv 379 not having any pre outs beside the obligatory sub as mentioned by pleasantsounds ;  it would necessitate the speaker level converter..

This would have the effect of having 2 volume chipsets in line not to mention 2 sets of dacs and also an adc in the 659.. This configuration equates to one compromise on top of another [ with the lowest common denominator soc determining sound quality]. As well as balancing the volume I guess..

Have you considered using the 659 again [ even as just a test to see if your cc likes the extra power ] and if it does just buy a good uhd matrix switch like this https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-switcher-4x1-uhd4k-with-audio-out/

Edited by cwt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple more thoughts:

  1. Are your LCR speakers all set to small in the AVR's setup and crossover set ~80Hz? The B&W isn't the most efficient speaker and those settings will minimise the load on the AVR.
  2. Have you re-run YPAO since replacing the centre? Otherwise you'll have a frequency response to match your old centre speaker - this might be causing the shoutiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Duh me, I checked the 659 for inputs but neglected to check the 379 for preouts.

Sounds like a bad idea so am glad I asked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cwt said:

Apart from your rxv 379 not having any pre outs beside the obligatory sub as mentioned by pleasantsounds ;  it would necessitate the speaker level converter..

This would have the effect of having 2 volume chipsets in line not to mention 2 sets of dacs and also an adc in the 659.. This configuration equates to one compromise on top of another [ with the lowest common denominator soc determining sound quality]. As well as balancing the volume I guess..

Have you considered using the 659 again [ even as just a test to see if your cc likes the extra power ] and if it does just buy a good uhd matrix switch like this https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-switcher-4x1-uhd4k-with-audio-out/

Thanks, I think I will try the 659 just to see how it sounds with a little more power

I'm not sure how that HDMI switch works as the 659 doesn't have HDMI ports (ancient)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Quark said:

A couple more thoughts:

  1. Are your LCR speakers all set to small in the AVR's setup and crossover set ~80Hz? The B&W isn't the most efficient speaker and those settings will minimise the load on the AVR.
  2. Have you re-run YPAO since replacing the centre? Otherwise you'll have a frequency response to match your old centre speaker - this might be causing the shoutiness.

Yes and yes, was a bit disappointed with the sound of the centre and was putting it down to lack of power driving it, plus a very basic avr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

Does the 379 even have a pre out for the centre channel?

All I can see is subwoofer pre out, which is a different beast altogether.

 

I've never used it, but you could try to plug in this device to the 379 centre channel speaker outs and the other end to the 659 input. You can even use L or R input on the 659 as long as you connect the speaker to the same channel. Hell, you could even plug in both sets of wires into the centre speaker out and drive both L&R channels of the 659 with it - that would allow you to bi-amp the speaker.

 

 

 

Sounds confusing:ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Yes and yes, was a bit disappointed with the sound of the centre and was putting it down to lack of power driving it, plus a very basic avr

OK, does it sound any better when you turn YPAO off - haven't looked at that model Yammie, but presume there's a pure direct or similar.

 

Also, would be interested what your L&R speakers are - presumably something voiced very differently to the B&W - it might be that difference that's jarring, particularly on panning shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swervyn said:

Thanks, I think I will try the 659 just to see how it sounds with a little more power

I'm not sure how that HDMI switch works as the 659 doesn't have HDMI ports (ancient)

That's the Achilles heel ; you would have to settle for lossy 5.1 dolby digital and dts  through the switch's sp/dif out ..

Quote

The audio embedded in HDM can be extracted via Toslink or Coaxial to a receiver.

That's not as bad as it sounds though as the dd would be 640kbps and the dts 1.5mbps ; both higher rates than we got for dvd's . If its only short term you can always configure your bd player to output just lossy and compare..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Quark said:

OK, does it sound any better when you turn YPAO off - haven't looked at that model Yammie, but presume there's a pure direct or similar.

 

Also, would be interested what your L&R speakers are - presumably something voiced very differently to the B&W - it might be that difference that's jarring, particularly on panning shots.

Will try the pure direct tonight to see if that makes a difference

 

L&R are B&W LCR60 S3 so quite small - and old   

 

http://bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/specsheets/bw/LCR60 S3 InfoSheet.pdf

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cwt said:

That's the Achilles heel ; you would have to settle for lossy 5.1 dolby digital and dts  through the switch's sp/dif out ..

That's not as bad as it sounds though as the dd would be 640kbps and the dts 1.5mbps ; both higher rates than we got for dvd's . If its only short term you can always configure your bd player to output just lossy and compare..

Lots of compromises, I see now why power amps are just amps with no other processing in the mix. Was just hoping to piggyback the 2 avr's but can see now why it wont work without compromises.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


37 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Will try the pure direct tonight to see if that makes a difference

 

L&R are B&W LCR60 S3 so quite small - and old   

 

http://bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/specsheets/bw/LCR60 S3 InfoSheet.pdf

 

Thanks

Those shouldn't be voiced a whole lot differently - B&W have been reasonably consistent on their "house" sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...