Rega Planar 2 problems

Hi guys i bought a Rega planar 2 last year brand new a reputable dealer in Melbourne.

The planar 2 comes with the carbon cartridge and I decided to upgrade immediately to the Rega Elys 2.

I had the carbon on for a month which sounded actually very good for a budget cartridge.

I changed to the elys but here is where all the trouble started. It plays for a while then the sound starts distorted. A lot of humming close to the centre of the record. I took it back to the dealer and the replaced the cartridge.

This did not solve the problem and the new one made exactly the same. I run it thru a musical fidelity phono amp and M6 amp.

I have tested it thru my yamaha and it is exactly the same.

Replaced it with the carbon and no problems what so ever.

Need some expert advise please or it goes to hard rubbish

3 minutes ago, martin64 said:

I have done it and they say there is nothing wrong

I'm sure that someone here will help you get it sorted, unfortunately it's not me because I don't know TT's...

But, if push comes to shove, you can get a video recording on your phone/camera clearly showing the issue which will help support your claim.

• Like 1

I'm sure that someone here will help you get it sorted, unfortunately it's not me because I don't know TT's...

But, if push comes to shove, you can get a video recording on your phone/camera clearly showing the issue which will help support your claim.
Yea that can work

have you been at the dealers with the record you have that sounds terrible and heard it running there ?sounding good?
There was humming too on their system but they says its normal..which i disagree. The cheap cartridge is dead quiet and sounds natural. I am now to scared to buy a new cartridge and it sounds the same
  • Like 1

google rega elys 2 cartridge problems, just read a few, sound like there are quite a few other people experiencing the same problem, did not read if it was specific to a rega 2, if you read further there may be a compromising solution, good luck,

( or just sell it and put the money towards the next turntable upgrade)

43 minutes ago, martin64 said:
51 minutes ago, wen said:
have you been at the dealers with the record you have that sounds terrible and heard it running there ?sounding good?

There was humming too on their system but they says its normal..which i disagree. The cheap cartridge is dead quiet and sounds natural. I am now to scared to buy a new cartridge and it sounds the same

This is outrageous but I have read a lot of complaints from people about the same kind of thing. For the dealer or Rega to accept this as "normal" is a joke. There are plenty of alternatives out there.

On 11/02/2018 at 9:13 PM, martin64 said:

Hi guys i bought a Rega planar 2 last year brand new a reputable dealer in Melbourne.

The planar 2 comes with the carbon cartridge and I decided to upgrade immediately to the Rega Elys 2.

I had the carbon on for a month which sounded actually very good for a budget cartridge.

I changed to the elys but here is where all the trouble started. It plays for a while then the sound starts distorted. A lot of humming close to the centre of the record. I took it back to the dealer and the replaced the cartridge.

This did not solve the problem and the new one made exactly the same. I run it thru a musical fidelity phono amp and M6 amp.

I have tested it thru my yamaha and it is exactly the same.

Replaced it with the carbon and no problems what so ever.

Need some expert advise please or it goes to hard rubbish

Does your phono stage match the new cartridge?

My Exact also hums on my RP6 as it gets closer to the label. It's only minor and does not interfere with the music in any way. It's a common Rega cartridge thing. The distortion you're experiencing would be a cartridge alignment issue I would imagine.

• Like 2

My Exact also hums on my RP6 as it gets closer to the label. It's only minor and does not interfere with the music in any way. It's a common Rega cartridge thing. The distortion you're experiencing would be a cartridge alignment issue I would imagine.
Maybe its a Rega thing. I use a very powerfull sub with my amp which make things worse. It was aligned by the dealer and i tried too but did not work. It is as it picks up more than usual static.
I must maybe try a ortofon blue to see if that works
  • Like 1

I've come across humming on Regas that are positioned directly above some amplifiers - as the arm arcs in towards the centre, the cart is getting closer to the power transformer of the amp, resulting in audible hum. Don't suppose you have some long RCA extension cables to try?

I am sorry to hear about the OP's problem and the fact that Rega considers this as acceptable. IMO it is 100% not acceptable and this would put me off ever buying a Rega deck or cart.

I hope something works out for the OP.

• Like 2

I've come across humming on Regas that are positioned directly above some amplifiers - as the arm arcs in towards the centre, the cart is getting closer to the power transformer of the amp, resulting in audible hum. Don't suppose you have some long RCA extension cables to try?

I have tried that one as that sounded electronically correct..did not help though. Om the cheaper cartridge there is no humming

I am sorry to hear about the OP's problem and the fact that Rega considers this as acceptable. IMO it is 100% not acceptable and this would put me off ever buying a Rega deck or cart.
I hope something works out for the OP.
I agree with you as the cartridge was a christmas present which lies now in a box. Denon or ortofon here i come?

The Carbon is an Audio Technica from what I remember. The Elys2 , not sure.

I would get in contact with the dealer and advise them that you are going to email Rega and complain about the cartridge.

Hopefully then you can get your money back and buy the Ortofon. 

• Like 1

[mention=260485]martin64[/mention]

If you are looking for a really nice and affordable MM cart , I urge you to try a Shelter 201. I much prefer it to the Denon DL 301 I was previously using
Never heard about them. Will google now. Thanks for advice.